Ottawa CPL Club

Just now, lazlo_80 said:

Would love to know the behind the scenes story of what went down here.

No kidding 

4 minutes ago, Sébastien said:

And the damage-control starts quickly for the Fury, with a statement from their captain and one of, if not the, most popular player on the team:

Just wow. 

Oh well... 

Will have to see the CSA answer, which in the end is what matters. This could be a PR move to force the CSA hand to sanction them another year. The CSA stripping them of the sanction now would make them the villains in this story.

Just a theory...

Oh well... we all remember what happened when NY Cosmos wouldn't join MLS initially. I wonder how that turned out #Gatineau

38 minutes ago, Sébastien said:

I am completely gutted by the Fury confirming that they won't be joining.

Being a Fury STH these last few years years has been incredibly frustrating. Fans were sold fake bag of goods under Dalglish after success under Dos Santos and played terrible soccer.

This year, other than the pleasure of getting to see so much Canadian content, the way the team has been managed by the coaching staff has been maddening and too many matches have left a sour taste in my mouth. It is becoming difficult to convince people to return to the stadium after having attended a match.

I am not sure I can insist more strongly than this: I don't given a f--k about the USL. I can't believe that Hamilton, York and Halifax will be playing professional matches against each other, and I will go have to watch Ottawa play against MLS farm teams and teams like Richmond, Tampa Bay and Penn FC (wtv the hell that is).

I will go watch every Voyageurs Cup matches and some other matches here and there, but I am so disapointed right now that, if I had to make the decision this moment, I would judge that this organization in this league is not worth sinking the time and money into it that I have been doing these last few years.

I've been going to Fury FC matches since their days at Carleton University back in 2014, but even I have to admit it's been going downhill. The coaching has never been the same since Dos Santos left, the quality on the pitch has been steadily slipping, and nobody in this city gives a damn about facing second-tier American teams like Bethlehem Steel or Louisville FC. I cannot begin to express how disappointed and disgusted I am by this.

Until they smarten up and make the switch, I dare say that this Friday's game against the Impact will be the last Fury FC match I attend for a long time.

Just now, Ansem said:

If the CSA allows them to compete...

If they do (and I hope they do so), CPL clubs should not have to come into the competition at the same time as the Fury.

If the Fury want to remain outside of a 1st division, they can enter the competition at the same time as other non-1st division teams, like Oakville and Blainville. If they qualify past that, then they can play against CPL teams.

#spite

10 minutes ago, Zem said:

In case anybody was wondering how Ottawa fans feel about the USL, the replies to the announcement tweet encapsulate it pretty well:

Predicting ...

Ottawa Fury will be the NY Cosmos of Canada. Just like them, they thought they were in a better league (NASL). NYRB and NYCFC came along and the Cosmos were shut out.

So Gatineau using a "National Region name" then a proper CPL team for Ottawa at LeBreton Flats next to the new Senators Arena.

Fury will be looking from the outside as they fall into irrelevance. 

Call the above scenario "unlikely" or "crazy", I think EVERYONE agrees here that haven't gain more fans and are more likely to start losing some or many.

Earlier today my dream was an 8 team CPL that included Ottawa. Now my dream is a 7 team CPL with an average attendance higher than Ottawa's, after Ottawa's attendance numbers plunge in 2019, and also for Ottawa to lose out to the first CPL team they face in the Voyageurs Cup (if they are in the tourney at all). Super bonus points would be Ottawa losing to a L1O or PLSQ team in the Voyageurs Cup before even getting to CPL teams.

Just now, lazlo_80 said:

What if....

The CPL knew this was happening for a while?

Just saying it seems like there's alot of conlusions and narratives being added to this thread but is there not at least a fraction of a chance this has been known for a little while by the CPL?

There is a chance that CPL has known for a while and that there actually is still an 8th team (earlier in the year weren't they talking about 8 or even 9?), but that doesn't change the fact that this is a very disappointing decision by Ottawa.