Ottawa CPL Club

11 minutes ago, Kent said:

This is the kind of thing that keeps team execs/staff up at night.

The horror - imagine winning a trophy and qualifying for a continental competition.  They can kiss their 1500 ticket holders goodbye.. there’s no where to go but down.

One way or another it’s coming down to money for the Fury.  

It’s not about the players money though, we know that.  It’s not about competition since CPL rosters are shaping up to be similar if not equal to USL sides. 

It has to be down to corporate, exec and coach money.  OSEG doesn’t care about soccer - they would rather piggyback off MLS sides, put out a adequate product and fill calendar dates for the stadium.  That’s it - they don’t want to be involved in this project until it is stable I.e profitable and they don’t need to affect OSEGs bottom line by making the move.  Right now they are obviously in a spot where they are not losing money and they don’t want to move and risk that.  Why get our hands dirty when we’re comfortable and we have a throng of fans loyal to whatever BS minor league project we put together. 

Businesses can choose to do what they want to do.  But the national governing body can also decide.  Having a sanctioned club is a privilege and not a right. 

19 minutes ago, Kent said:

...I wonder if JDG's role is included in that cap. If so, maybe a move to CPL would mean a pay cut for him (and possibly the coaching staff as well). That would make more sense as a sticking point for them than the fact they can't pay their players as much in the CPL as they report they do in the USL...

Have seen that postulated elsewhere and there may be some substance to it, but ultimately he is only the hired help.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Right now they are obviously in a spot where they are not losing money and they don’t want to move and risk that.  Why get our hands dirty when we’re comfortable and we have a throng of fans loyal to whatever BS minor league project we put together. 

Or they could be in a spot where they're losing money, and moving to the new league will lose them even more money.

7 hours ago, Kent said:

While we are speculating on things, I've got one that hasn't been mentioned yet. The reports of JDG slagging the league, telling players to not sign there, etc., got me to thinking. Clanachan has mentioned that there will be a salary cap for coaching staff that is separate from the players cap. I wonder if JDG's role is included in that cap. If so, maybe a move to CPL would mean a pay cut for him (and possibly the coaching staff as well). That would make more sense as a sticking point for them than the fact they can't pay their players as much in the CPL as they report they do in the USL.

Disclaimer, I do like JDG, loved him as a player, defended him while he was the whipping boy with TFC. I'm just trying to make sense of the situation, since I still don't understand the decision of the Fury to stay in USL.

JDG with TFC was a disaster he sucked, the only thing I’ll say is that he played in a TFC organization that was a joke on the field and at the time had clueless coaches and clueless management so maybe that had a bit to do to why he sucked .

9 minutes ago, 1996 said:

JDG with TFC was a disaster he sucked, the only thing I’ll say is that he played in a TFC organization that was a joke on the field and at the time had clueless coaches and clueless management so maybe that had a bit to do to why he sucked .

He was sold to the fans as a goalscorer when his role was holding midfielder. That's totally on the management. I have no issues with him as a player, it's his GM skills that I'm skeptical about.

Ottawa not having the sanctioning issue worked out is really going to screw them over if it’s not resolved by the January transfer window.

With each passing day the CPL will sign more and more Canadian talent and so will the USL.  

Ottawa had better get something worked out or it’s going to be a long season.

8 hours ago, Keegan said:

The horror - imagine winning a trophy and qualifying for a continental competition.  They can kiss their 1500 ticket holders goodbye.. there’s no where to go but down.

One way or another it’s coming down to money for the Fury.  

It’s not about the players money though, we know that.  It’s not about competition since CPL rosters are shaping up to be similar if not equal to USL sides. 

It has to be down to corporate, exec and coach money.  OSEG doesn’t care about soccer - they would rather piggyback off MLS sides, put out a adequate product and fill calendar dates for the stadium.  That’s it - they don’t want to be involved in this project until it is stable I.e profitable and they don’t need to affect OSEGs bottom line by making the move.  Right now they are obviously in a spot where they are not losing money and they don’t want to move and risk that.  Why get our hands dirty when we’re comfortable and we have a throng of fans loyal to whatever BS minor league project we put together. 

Businesses can choose to do what they want to do.  But the national governing body can also decide.  Having a sanctioned club is a privilege and not a right. 

I think this is what it’s all about. The spin that the Fury are putting on this claiming to be big spenders having budgets too big for CPL is so frustrating. This is a team that completely axed their academy (which the USport #1 pick Gabriel Bitar was a part of), could easily have a L1O reserve/youth side but don’t and routinely travelled to away games last year with less than 7 subs on the bench. 

3 minutes ago, relliot19 said:

I think this is what it’s all about. The spin that the Fury are putting on this claiming to be big spenders having budgets too big for CPL is so frustrating. This is a team that completely axed their academy (which the USport #1 pick Gabriel Bitar was a part of), could easily have a L1O reserve/youth side but don’t and routinely travelled to away games last year with less than 7 subs on the bench. 

They could even take their pick between L1O and PLSQ! They had a team for a year or two in PLSQ.

I hope it isn’t too long before Forge and York 9 have L1O teams. If every CPL team aspires to have a reserve team in Canadian D3 leagues it can help bring the numbers up in the areas that don’t yet have leagues. Move PDL teams into D3 and CPL reserve teams. Then you just need a few more for each region, however it’s split up, to get enough to found a league.

This will be resolved, I see very little chance Ottawa does not take the pitch in 2019. Having a year with no team will have a negative overall effect on the sport moving forward in our national capital. I am pretty sure all involved will want to avoid this. This could really look bad on the CSA since it was them that gave the Fury the go ahead on being in the USL in 2019. Clubs really do take the cue from their national associations. 

According to the CAS schedule, it is hearing a case on Dec. 20 — Amadou Diakite vs. the Confederation Africaine de Football —the doesn’t have anything on the docket until January 9. Of course, the Christmas break complicates things.

Canada Soccer approved the Fury’s application to play in USL for 2019. The club says it has U.S. Soccer’s approval to cross the border and play in an American league, but Canada Soccer says it has yet to receive confirmation of that from the USSF.

Edited by Ansem

7 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

OFFC has appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport

https://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news_article/show/978696?platform=hootsuite

If they are unsuccessful, it will be interesting to see the fallout in terms of litigation.  Given the options in front of them, it is the Fury that is now choosing this option rather than seeking to integrate into CPL.  That means that they will be largely responsible for any lost revenue if they miss the 2019 season (or at least it could be argued that way).  As it stands, barring quick and clear direction from the Court, they may not kick a ball in 2019, whereas they could have chosen to abide by the decision and get onboard with CPL and (potentially) had very little impact on their business operation.

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

If they are unsuccessful, it will be interesting to see the fallout in terms of litigation.  Given the options in front of them, it is the Fury that is now choosing this option rather than seeking to integrate into CPL.  That means that they will be largely responsible for any lost revenue if they miss the 2019 season (or at least it could be argued that way).  As it stands, barring quick and clear direction from the Court, they may not kick a ball in 2019, whereas they could have chosen to abide by the decision and get onboard with CPL and (potentially) had very little impact on their business operation.

If they end up seeing the light if they fail as the CAS, can't see CPL being thrilled to integrate them into the league.

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

If they end up seeing the light if they fail as the CAS, can't see CPL being thrilled to integrate them into the league.

I don't think they'll have to.

Whatever their reasons are, if the Fury are fighting this hard (furiously?) to stay out of the CPL, I feel like they'd rather shut down instead.