2017 Gold Cup Opponents

Gian-Luca

12 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

I could be wrong, but if the result stands and they are at 1 pt and -1 GD, we could lose by 1 to Honduras and still claim second. H2H doesn't count as a tiebreaker (according to wikipedia anyway).

You are mostly correct - head to head is a tiebreaker it's just not the first tiebreaker (or 2nd). The first would be goal differential the second would be goals scored. A 1-0 loss to Honduras would indeed guarantee us 2nd place & qualification - if the FG vs. Honduras result stands.

Although the way Honduras has been playing this year and the way we have been playing under Zambrano, I think we should be more confident about trying to obtain first place in the group.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did at any time CONCACAF officially rule him ineligible? or remove him from the 40 or 23 man roster? 

All the sources just quote a Concacaf spokesperson saying he can play but he in ineligible.

This could end up being a fine to FG and the scoreline and results stays the same.

Suspense killing me haha

22 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

It seems as though CONCACAF made their bed when they allowed Malouda to play in the Caribbean Cup, which is a qualifier for the Gold Cup. Then, they allowed his name to be put on the provisional roster. To say he is ineligible now is definitely confusing.

Also, it's great that FG got a result against Honduras! It means they will fight hard in this case in order to have another meaningful game against Costa Rica!

this

Concacaf is absolutely pathetic right now stating he is ineligible to play, but he had already played in the qualifiers before and it was fine

As apbsmith noticed earlier, I don't think CONCACAF has officially ever said that he was ineligible. I could be wrong but I think that it's only been US media quoting a "CONCACAF spokesperson". That's not the same as an official position, and if it really is somebody within the organization talking out of turn, I wouldn't want to be that guy right now.  

12 minutes ago, shorty said:

As apbsmith noticed earlier, I don't think CONCACAF has officially ever said that he was ineligible. I could be wrong but I think that it's only been US media quoting a "CONCACAF spokesperson". That's not the same as an official position, and if it really is somebody within the organization talking out of turn, I wouldn't want to be that guy right now.  

Sounds like in typical Concacaf style;

They told FG the night before hey " Malouda's" ineligible.

FG did the right thing and did not play him vs us.  In the following days, they did their own research and were like hey you know what we have some very good arguments why he should be eligible.  One would only assume an official ruling would = an official appeal by FG.

No country probably protested his eligibility pre-tourny either cause they were like hey he was born in FG and FG is not an official FIFA nation.

Sounds like if Concacaf didn't approach FG or if buddy spoke out of turn to SI...... nobody would even know.

As I read somewhere else;

Concacaf just got concacaf'd

34 minutes ago, shorty said:

My friend at CONCACAF is being a little quiet, but confirmed again no team in the group protested 48 hours before the first match. He's not really said straight out how they informed FG but insinuated it was more a tap on the shoulder and not anything official.

Edit: I should clarity, "he's not aware", maybe better term than "confirmed"

47 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Did at any time CONCACAF officially rule him ineligible? or remove him from the 40 or 23 man roster? 

All the sources just quote a Concacaf spokesperson saying he can play but he in ineligible.

This could end up being a fine to FG and the scoreline and results stays the same.

Suspense killing me haha

This has been something I noticed too.  I read it on ESPN, who are notorious for using bullshit anonymous sources for clickbait content.  This may turn out to be an accurate account of their position, but it could just as easily be someone not in a position of authority being asked his opinion on the issue.  Clearly it isn't a slam dunk because there would be an official statement by now.  And if the "spokesperson" wasn't willing to go on record, it suggests that there may still be a bit if an open ended question.

This Concacaf we are all talking about is run by a certain Canadian, you are all aware. 

Which makes it even more galling, Montagliani dropping the ball on this, when it directly affects Canada in the competition. 

We used to get Jack'd, and now we might get Peter'd. 

EDIT: just checked, he is of course chair of the organizing committee, it is 100% on him. Also, that according to III. 3. d of the GC regulations, this committee has the role of

"2.  Judging infringements concerning the eligibility of players in the Final Competition"

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

You are mostly correct - head to head is a tiebreaker it's just not the first tiebreaker (or 2nd). The first would be goal differential the second would be goals scored. A 1-0 loss to Honduras would indeed guarantee us 2nd place & qualification - if the FG vs. Honduras result stands.

Although the way Honduras has been playing this year and the way we have been playing under Zambrano, I think we should be more confident about trying to obtain first place in the group.

So the question is whether the result, which is traditionally given as a 3-0, should also means goals scored, when they weren't. 

No way an administrative result should be used to affect a group standing based on goal difference. Though I don't understand where we got this 3-0 as a default result for ineligibility and the like, it makes no sense for those to be tallied for tie breaking purposes. And Canada should fight like hell to make sure it does not happen.

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Fox Sports just stated that Concacafs decision on #MaloudaGate will be released tomorrow.

Two days to make a decision they already knew in advance of the game was going to have to be made suggests to me that it is going to be a more complex decision than merely FG forfeits the game 3-0. 

Although this is Concacaf after all so who knows

I'm going to go out on a limb here:

Maybe CONCACAF figured Malouda was eligible all along, but they wanted to make FG unsure enough so they wouldn't play him against us, and give us a better shot of beating them.

Is it too much to think that maybe someone else is getting CONCACAF'd for once?

53 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Two days to make a decision they already knew in advance of the game was going to have to be made suggests to me that it is going to be a more complex decision than merely FG forfeits the game 3-0.

Although this is Concacaf after all so who knows

Exactly. Honduras awarded a 6-0 victory, including a retroactive 10-0 victory over Costa Rica, just 'cause.

29 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

15 minutes into the US vs Martinique game, and the US has had a couple of pretty solid chances.  Don't see Martinique successfully bunkering down for the next 75 minutes.  

A person can hope though.

Go Martinique!

If the USA loses tonight it means they will likely finish 2nd. If we win the group that means we play them in the quarter finals and they bring in some big guns. I'd rather they won tonight. But it is nice seeing them lose haha

edit: excuse me if they lose they will be 3rd probably, a draw and they might be 2nd 

USA goes ahead 1-0.  They have had the bulk of the chances, but Martinique have had a couple of good opportunities and even hit a post.  The lead is definitely justified, but I am still holding out hope that Martinique pinch a goal and draw level.  Unfortunately I suspect the reality wil be a few more US goals.

7 hours ago, Kent said:

Kosovo is a FIFA nation though, so it's not entirely a like for like comparison. Catalonia isn't a FIFA nation, but also doesn't compete in official competitions, so also not like for like.

From the post that Gian-Luca found they say "If your birth country was not recognized when you were called up to play for another country for which you are eligible, and your birth country later becomes recognized, you should be given the choice to make a 1 time switch, regardless of the number of caps for the previous country." I would agree that this makes sense, but I'm not finding any support for the claim that "They became quasi recognized by FIFA in 2013 in that they could win entrance to a FIFA competition."

It makes sense that someone that used to play for Czecheslovakia, would then be allowed to play for the Czech Republic, for example, after the country splits and it's a FIFA recognized nation. But this case doesn't seem to be what is happening with French Guiana.

I agree, they are not quasi-recognized, and France would never let them be. They are French, flag, anthem, nationality. Passport. So there is no premise for a switch, and does not have to be. Concacaf allows these teams to play, which I think is fair, just to enrich the football culture. That is fine, until now I have not seen huge complaints from FIFA nations left out of the GC by these sides qualifying over them. 

BTW, Catalonia only competes "officially" in a UEFA regions tournament for amateur players, in Cat they are 4th tier players. Otherwise, the symbolic game once a year vs a national team (Ive seen Brazil, Argentina, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Nigeria, or the Basques, often quite good and entertaining, and like the rest of a lot of present-day Catalan nationalism, symbol over substance. 

http://www.uefa.com/regionscup/

Archived