CPL General

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I don't have much opinion one way or the other on "York 9", but when I see "York9" I feel like someone didn't get the email address/twitter handle/whatever unique identifier you want to name, that they were looking for.

Yes, I like York 9 better too. And the name has a good rationale behind it.

I'm sure that 130 years ago or so some wanker chimed in with "Aston Villa is an awful name and anyone who likes it needs a slap (but not from me mind, cause I only do slapping from behind my keyboard...)". :D

Edited by dsqpr

17 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Yes, I like York 9 better too. And the name has a good rationale behind it.

I'm sure that 130 years ago or so some wanker chimed in with "Aston Villa is an awful name and anyone who likes it needs a slap (but not from me mind, cause I only do slapping from behind my keyboard...)". :D

Hey I told Derek Whibley to his face that Sum 41 was a silly name to his face at the Bovine Sex Club several years ago. Now he laughed but I still did it. Didn't mention slapping or anything cause he was with a really big guy and I was like "I don't wanna get hurt"

Edited by matty

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

Probably not, considering that the club was named after the local chapel, Aston Villa Westleyan Chapel, which the founders attended.

The name Aston Villa had a good rationale behind it, York 9 is just trying to follow current marketing trends. If they want to represent York, just call it York FC and let the fans nickname the club whatever they wish, as happens with literally every other football club that doesn't have an arbitrary branded nickname.

Edited by Zem

I didn't like York 9 at first, but it's grown on me. At least it is a little bold, stuff like Port City FC is too lukewarm for my taste unless that's actually what the locals refer to their city as

I'm sure the blemishes will eventually fade (look how many people disliked the Winnipeg Jets name and now its fine), but I think there's a missed potential to have truly iconic names.

Everyone who I've canvassed about Halifax Wanderers loves the name...thats the sort name that has the potential to immediately turn "the city's soccer team" into "my soccer team" pretty quickly 

Edited by Complete Homer

Just now, Complete Homer said:

I didn't like York 9 at first, but it's grown on me. At least it is a little bold, stuff like Port City FC is too lukewarm for my taste unless that's actually what the locals refer to their city as

I thought RedBlacks was ridiculous at first but I think a lot of people have come around.  York 9 could catch on the same way.

1 minute ago, Alex D said:

While York9 doesn't wow me it's completely liveable, and might even be my club until Kitchener is ready. But if Hamilton goes with Founder FC...yuk. 

What worries me about Founders FC is that it takes about a paragraph to explain the meaning to anyone, at which point they've tuned out. 

Apparently there is a much stronger name they are/were considering, hope they take a step back. 

18 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Is it possible Founders FC is a supporters group or something? I know Rally Rabbit and Rally YEG was also in the list of trademarks.

From what I've heard, no, unfortunately 

That said, I think that's a great compromise if the owner wants to use it somehow. "Founders FC" or "Founders Circle" seems like a great way to emphasize how the city has been the first in Canada for many things in the past, and encourage people to help them found CPL's first club. 

10 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Winnipeg Cavalry is actually pretty good.  It could go with Calgary too.

Hamilton Steelers or United works way better than Founders.  I don’t get founders for Hamilton, it’s a bad name.  

Also saw a Twitter comment mentioning Port City FC might be Hamilton too as our Port Authority is a big part of economy and Hamilton actually has Ontario's biggest port.  Actually its too bad the beer stole the name or Lakeport FC would have made a pretty good Hamilton name.

For Winnipeg Cavalry there is the connection to the Fort Gary Horse Regiment which was at Vimy Ridge Cambrai.  At Cambrai the Fort Gary Horse led the last great cavalry horse charge in modern warfare and one of their officers won a Victoria Cross.  The unit also landed on Juno Beach on D Day and is still an active regiment today.  

For that reason I think Winnipeg can authenticity be called the Cavalry.

27 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

For Winnipeg Cavalry there is the connection to the Fort Gary Horse Regiment which was at Vimy Ridge Cambrai.  At Cambrai the Fort Gary Horse led the last great cavalry horse charge in modern warfare and one of their officers won a Victoria Cross.  The unit also landed on Juno Beach on D Day and is still an active regiment today.  

For that reason I think Winnipeg can authenticity be called the Cavalry.

Fair enough. I was thinking that it was an alternative for Calgary. That historical connection makes it much stronger in my eyes

This is simply to clear up some of the confusion.

1. Port City is lower mainland of BC. 

2. Cavalry is Calgary. 

3. Neither Saskatoon nor Winnipeg are represented in the list of names that has been passed around. 

4. Founders is Hamilton. 

5. Calgary is as much a guarantee for year one of the league as it is possible to be.

6. Calgary - Edmonton will be a great rivalry but there are others that could be just as fierce.

7. Nothing is set in stone until it is and right now these names are not.

8. This is quite a decent tool to help you assess the quality of twitter commenters, especially those who claim to have inside knowledge. If they do not know exactly which teams these names refer to, it should suggest to you that their ability to provide solid league information is suspect as they do not have the ability to source information from many of the teams that will be involved in the league launch.

9. It is now time to return to my self-imposed forum hibernation. I hope that answered a few questions for those of you who honestly want to know and who are more interested in doing things to support the league than you are in arguing details about the league of which you do not actually have knowledge. Of course, those are not mutually exclusive. 

23 minutes ago, Soefeia said:

This is simply to clear up some of the confusion.

1. Port City is lower mainland of BC. 

2. Cavalry is Calgary. 

3. Neither Saskatoon nor Winnipeg are represented in the list of names that has been passed around. 

4. Founders is Hamilton. 

5. Calgary is as much a guarantee for year one of the league as it is possible to be.

6. Calgary - Edmonton will be a great rivalry but there are others that could be just as fierce.

7. Nothing is set in stone until it is and right now these names are not.

8. This is quite a decent tool to help you assess the quality of twitter commenters, especially those who claim to have inside knowledge. If they do not know exactly which teams these names refer to, it should suggest to you that their ability to provide solid league information is suspect as they do not have the ability to source information from many of the teams that will be involved in the league launch.

9. It is now time to return to my self-imposed forum hibernation. I hope that answered a few questions for those of you who honestly want to know and who are more interested in doing things to support the league than you are in arguing details about the league of which you do not actually have knowledge. Of course, those are not mutually exclusive. 

Now I am looking at the little red light in your avatar so you can erase my memory like that info drop never happened.

Seriously though, if that is all true, thanks for the info.

I assume Soefeia that since you are so definitive in your assertions that you know rather than the average fan where who is speculating.  If so thanks for clearing that up.

I still like Hamilton Steelers or United and don’t like Founders though (I really don’t get that and the other 2 just sound better)

22 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I assume Soefeia that since you are so definitive in your assertions that you know rather than the average fan where who is speculating.  If so thanks for clearing that up.

I still like Hamilton Steelers or United and don’t like Founders though (I really don’t get that and the other 2 just sound better)

Founders of the league is my guess

37 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Just keep in mind point #7. People change their minds. Unexpected hurdles pop up. Just because these names have been trademarked does not mean they will be used. But I do not think anyone here worth their salt is unaware that that is the case. 

And one final thing I would like to mention is that there are actually many average fans who have heard those names before being discussed in relation to their potential local CPL team. But the vast majority of them do not frequent these parts anymore, otherwise you might have some more helpful information.

Regardless, I hope that information was useful to you. As I have said in the past, I completely understand the frustration at the lack of news so I think it is worthwhile to share from time to time when it seems purposeful to do so.