CPL General

11 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Is Port City another Halifax option?

Possibly. That would be my first reaction if HWFC wasn't also there. But I guess they could have both in there yet to finalize. 

When I think of places that might actually name themselves "Port City" there is only a few.  Halifax, St. John's, Montreal...Victoria?

Edited by mpg_29

York University is the best location for a 2nd Toronto team.  They have a stadium that can expand to 12,500 from 4,000.  There’s subway access and good highway access plus it has that whole north part of Toronto to itself.  It’s a good choice that also gets the CanPL inside the largest media market in Canada.

We are hearing more about Calgary in the last little bit but where will they play?  Not McMahan stadium would they?

48 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Just reading between the lines here it seems that Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto and Halifax plus potentially (or maybe not) one other team have progressed to the point of trademarks.  This happened last year before just prior to announcing the last round of teams and the CanPL in total if you remember.    Maybe along with Ottawa we have our founding 7 teams

Even without Ottawa that would be the min required 6 teams right there.

Edit: Though I'm curious about when the FCE was trademarked...as they have been going through a ticket drive and Paul Beirne was there recently to "rally" support.

Edited by mpg_29

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

Even without Ottawa that would be the min required 6 teams right there.

Edit: Though I'm curious about when the FCE was trademarked...as they have been going through a ticket drive and Paul Beirne was there recently to "rally" support.

Why would they need to trademark "FCE" when its presumably already trademarked by Faths club years ago?

3 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

York 9 has a logo too

If York 9 FC is using the Ontario Soccer Center as its stadium they have a lot of work to do to bring it up a professional standard. As it sits now its supposedly at 2K seats but that doesn't appear to be reality as TFC2 announced sellouts were announced around the 1200 marks not 2K.

DJI_0006.00_01_11_15.Still001_large.jpg

Phase II was supposed to be done in 2016 but never materialized (3500 seats) :

1a.jpg

Don't have a pic of Phase three which was supposed to be complete one year after phase II apparently and provide for 5K seats.This is the minimum spec I'd expect for a CPL club.

Edited by CDNFootballer

7 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

If York 9 FC is using the Ontario Soccer Center as its stadium they have a lot of work to do to bring it up a professional standard. As it sits now its supposedly at 2K seats but that doesn't appear to be reality as TFC2 announced sellouts were announced around the 1200 marks not 2K.

John Cudmore reported the name of York 9, etc, before anyone else knew, so I think he's a decent source for the York team. He said they will play out of York U stadium until they build their own 

https://www.yorkregion.com/opinion-story/8340624-cuddy-shark-winning-back-fans-is-no-simple-game-plan-for-jr-a-teams/

Not sure if anyone remembers, but Inter Toronto was trademarked in the lead-up to Toronto FC being launched. Not sure if it was ever really in play or if the typically restrained V board reaction to the name scared them off, but I'm taking the names unearthed today with a  little grain of salt. I do quite like Port City FC and I think it has to be Halifax Wanderers. Is the 9 in York 9 for the number of communities that make up the region? 

cheers, matthew

11 minutes ago, matthew said:

Not sure if anyone remembers, but Inter Toronto was trademarked in the lead-up to Toronto FC being launched. Not sure if it was ever really in play or if the typically restrained V board reaction to the name scared them off, but I'm taking the names unearthed today with a  little grain of salt. I do quite like Port City FC and I think it has to be Halifax Wanderers. Is the 9 in York 9 for the number of communities that make up the region? 

cheers, matthew

They had to be aware that people would see these names once they were up in a public space (took over a week, but still). I sort of wonder if this was a soft way to test reactions on a broader scale than the focus groups

So far "Founders FC" is the least popular

Edited by Complete Homer

5 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

York University is the best location for a 2nd Toronto team.  They have a stadium that can expand to 12,500 from 4,000.  There’s subway access and good highway access plus it has that whole north part of Toronto to itself.  It’s a good choice that also gets the CanPL inside the largest media market in Canada.

We are hearing more about Calgary in the last little bit but where will they play?  Not McMahan stadium would they?

They might get some more use out of those stands if the new Ontario Arrows rugby team joins MLR. They're playing at least two home games at York this spring

Edited by Tigers
They're

6 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

So I guess Calvary FC is a derivative of Calgary FC?..or they haven't finalized the name yet and just trademarked both.

I actually like Calvary...sort of a play on Arsenal without directly copying it.

I had to double check because I thought there’s no way they name the team that?! 

I do like Cavalry FC though. 

49 minutes ago, matthew said:

cheers, matthew

Yes - see my earlier post in the thread a page back or two for the 9 different areas within York Region