CPL General

32 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I had to double check because I thought there’s no way they name the team that?! 

I do like Cavalry FC though. 

yeah brain was getting mixed up between Calgary and Cavalry when typing..

But yeah I am hoping they go with Cavalry...if nothing else to limit the amount of cityname.fc going around

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I had to double check because I thought there’s no way they name the team that?! 

I do like Cavalry FC though. 

And York 9. I have absolutely no idea why I like it I just do! 

I really like where they are going with some of this. Not a fan of "Founders FC" or "Rally" anything though.

Edited by dsqpr

3 hours ago, Rheo said:

Updated article with quotes from the Faths https://t.co/cILSvwZOL7

Fath said that the requests made of the city aren’t specific to FC Edmonton. These asks reflect “guidelines” that the CanPL has for all of its teams. So, taking that at face value, that would mean all CanPL teams will need 7,000-seat venues and the ability to control their dates – and concessions.

3 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

And York 9. I have absolutely no idea why I like it I just do! 

I really like where they are going with some of this. Not a fan of "Founders FC" or "Rally" anything though.

Totally agree, although speaking as a RedBlacks fan who has grown to love our name, I hope it’s York9. Not sure why I don’t like the space, I just like the “out of the box” type names that create something new.

5 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Totally agree, although speaking as a RedBlacks fan who has grown to love our name, I hope it’s York9. Not sure why I don’t like the space, I just like the “out of the box” type names that create something new.

"York9" reminds me of George Costanza's "Seven". :D

8 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

If York 9 FC is using the Ontario Soccer Center as its stadium....Phase II was supposed to be done in 2016 but never materialized (3500 seats) :

1a.jpg

Don't have a pic of Phase three which was supposed to be complete one year after phase II apparently and provide for 5K seats.This is the minimum spec I'd expect for a CPL club.

On the bright side having the OSA as landlord probably means a much better deal on rent and access to game day revenue streams, and having access to the GTA's player pool makes it easy to run on a relatively low budget and still be reasonably competitive like the Lynx did for many years in the A-League. Problem is the above graphic is likely to be realistic in terms of probable fan numbers as this would be the most difficult of the envisaged markets to gain a significant media profile in and be taken seriously.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

16 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Because you film tv commercials last week and tell everyone that you're launching in 2019 when you aren't launching in 2019 unless there's a miracle save by the city of Edmonton.

Anyways back to reality, Edmonton Sun article on the Edmonton stadium

http://edmontonsun.com/sports/soccer/fc-edmonton-asking-city-for-help-with-soccer-stadium

Well it's going to come down to wether they have 6 teams or not...and as far as I can tell they'd need one of either Edmonton or Ottawa to hit that 6 teams. 

...and maybe you need to create the impression of 2019 happening to persuade Edmonton city councillors to finally give FCE a viable stadium solution? From what I remember PB was actually quite upbeat about his meeting with the councillors during his visit. You have to wonder if certain people actually bother to read the urls that they link:

http://edmontonsun.com/sports/soccer/fc-edmonton-asking-city-for-help-with-soccer-stadium

It appears the City of Edmonton is ready to try and help make professional soccer viable, which is good news to the proposed Canadian Premier League and FC Edmonton....

somehow translates as "a miracle save".

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The reason for PB's visit becomes clear. It's even possible that the 2019 launch hinges on this.

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...and maybe you need to create the impression of 2019 happening to persuade Edmonton city councillors to finally give FCE a viable stadium solution? From what I remember PB was actually quite upbeat about his meeting with the councillors during his visit. You have to wonder if certain people actually bother to read the urls that they link:

It appears the City of Edmonton is ready to try and help make professional soccer viable, which is good news to the proposed Canadian Premier League and FC Edmonton....

somehow translates as "a miracle save".

45 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Because you film tv commercials last week and tell everyone that you're launching in 2019 when you aren't launching in 2019 unless there's a miracle save by the city of Edmonton.

Anyways back to reality, Edmonton Sun article on the Edmonton stadium

Even the most glass-half-full CanPL fan would have to admit that CanPL representatives have so far been long on things like TV commercials and vague business plans and short on details, which have been often promised and then delayed.  This hopefully is just the result of a lot of juggling balls being up in the air at the moment with logistics being ironed out in the background.  I think they are legitimately preparing for 2019 but not even they know yet if they can accomplish it.  Also as careful as their approach has been so far, if it is a choice between a half-ass 2019 launch and a full 2020 launch I think they will take the latter.

Personally I go back and forth between wild excitement for soccer in Hamilton in 2019 and dread at the possibility of another year's delay.  Mainly my concern is for the players who have been waiting for a league having to find alternate employment, and the fact we will lose another year of the potential CanPL player development benefits for another year.  

At the very least concrete announcements will need to be forthcoming very soon and actual work on stadiums starting if 2019 is indeed to come off.  

If this stadium decision goes against Edmonton I don't think it kills 2019 - there is still Halifax, Hamilton, Winnipeg, possibly a Saskatchewan and BC team, possibly a York team, possibly Ottawa.  But I do think an 8 team league in 2019, which I'd prefer, hinges on this decision.  And if the city approves the Faths' wishes I think it does go a long way toward cementing a 2019 start which is what we all want.  It may not be do-or-die but it is a tremendously important decision for CanPL 2019. 

Thanks for the article link @Rheo it does make it sound as though Edmonton City Council is considering this very seriously, so fingers crossed!

BBTB's theory is that the CPL need Edmonton to launch in 2019.  I disagree given other evidence that's out there.  That was the point I was making, with a bit of tongue in cheek smartassness which you always take personally.  I've read the article and know that Edmonton is not a sure thing.  I'm not the idiotic simpleton you think I am sir.  Now going back to ignoring you even when it's just from others quoting you.

20 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Even the most glass-half-full CanPL fan would have to admit that CanPL representatives have so far been long on things like TV commercials and vague business plans and short on details, which have been often promised and then delayed.  This hopefully is just the result of a lot of juggling balls being up in the air at the moment with logistics being ironed out in the background.  I think they are legitimately preparing for 2019 but not even they know yet if they can accomplish it.  Also as careful as their approach has been so far, if it is a choice between a half-ass 2019 launch and a full 2020 launch I think they will take the latter.

Personally I go back and forth between wild excitement for soccer in Hamilton in 2019 and dread at the possibility of another year's delay.  Mainly my concern is for the players who have been waiting for a league having to find alternate employment, and the fact we will lose another year of the potential CanPL player development benefits for another year.  

At the very least concrete announcements will need to be forthcoming very soon and actual work on stadiums starting if 2019 is indeed to come off.  

If this stadium decision goes against Edmonton I don't think it kills 2019 - there is still Halifax, Hamilton, Winnipeg, possibly a Saskatchewan and BC team, possibly a York team, possibly Ottawa.  But I do think an 8 team league in 2019, which I'd prefer, hinges on this decision.  And if the city approves the Faths' wishes I think it does go a long way toward cementing a 2019 start which is what we all want.  It may not be do-or-die but it is a tremendously important decision for CanPL 2019. 

Thanks for the article link @Rheo it does make it sound as though Edmonton City Council is considering this very seriously, so fingers crossed!

I'm a bit more bullish on 2019 going ahead than I was as it's clear now there is probably enough "maybe ready's" far enough along the way that they'll manage to get 6 teams for next year..even if some of the stadiums are sub-par/temporary. I still think they need either Edmonton or Ottawa and Ottawa seems unlikely at this point. So in some ways BringBackTheBlizzard is right that a lot of this might hinge on Edmonton. But I think that will happen.

5 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I'm a bit more bullish on 2019 going ahead than I was as it's clear now there is probably enough "maybe ready's" far enough along the way that they'll manage to get 6 teams for next year..even if some of the stadiums are sub-par/temporary. I still think they need either Edmonton or Ottawa and Ottawa seems unlikely at this point. So in some ways BringBackTheBlizzard is right that a lot of this might hinge on Edmonton. But I think that will happen.

Why does Ottawa seem unlikely?

12 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Why does Ottawa seem unlikely?

Has there been any news/rumor/evidence at all that they are joining? 

I guess you could argue that since they are already an active team up and running they could make that decision a lot later than other potential teams but I'd imagine CanPL needs to know if it has 6 pretty soon. My impression is If Ottawa joins it'll because the league already has the teams they need to start...not the other way around.

Edited by mpg_29

3 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Has there been any news/rumor/evidence at all they are joining? 

I guess you could argue that since they are already an active team up and running they could make that decision a lot later than other potentials. 

They're in the USL and the season just started. They can't be actively discussing leaving the league their in at this point, it would be very bad optics for the league, team and fans. They announced that they were leaving the NASL a few days before their last game in that league so I imagine something similar will happen with their USL departure.

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

They're in the USL and the season just started. They can't be actively discussing leaving the league their in at this point, it would be very bad optics for the league, team and fans. They announced that they were leaving the NASL a few days before their last game in that league so I imagine something similar will happen with their USL departure.

Yeah that could be it. So Ottawa would probably not be a part of the first 6 teams required to know if you can start by next season. Hence importance of Edmonton.

My prediction: the CPL announces the next four teams in the coming weeks; Calgary, York, Edmonton and Halifax. They also mention that potentially 2-4 more teams will be involved in the 2019 launch, those being Ottawa and some other(s) - Port City? Then in the fall the other teams are announced.

9 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Unless they've already committed to the CPL and are just waiting till closer to the end of their season announcement it.

That could be the case. But CPL still needs a hard definite 6 teams to announce in the next couple of months. I don't think you could announce only 5 now and then wait until October to announce the 6th team. If Ottawa joins they'll be the 7th or above team.

Edited by mpg_29