CPL General

Team names leaked. Instagram account launched. Teasers of video production. Vague hints on social media. 

Yet Somehow this thread still sucks the fun out of all of it. Congrats. It’s officially the most depressing place to talk about something legit exciting. 

Sorry. I’ll let it get back to the regularly scheduled “is it even happening?” Argument that’s been happening for the last 2 years. 

Did I not mention I'm excited?

I've read all the potential Canadian player lists and made some of my own, enjoyed the potential logos and team names, filled out the Hamilton Soccer survey and promised them my season ticket support, and greedily searched for any crumbs of news the league puts out there.

Personally I can be as excited as hell and still recognize the league's challenges and hear the arguments of people who are less optimistic.  

And partly too the worrying on here happens because CanPl itself has teased us a bit.  They set deadlines saying expect to hear details about this in x number of weeks and then the deadline passes and we worry.

Everyone on here seems on board as fans ultimately and when this does materialize we'll all be huge supporters of the league.  I like your optimism @lazlo_80 and if you have things to discuss on here of a more positive note I'd like to hear them.

Also for any Hamilton fans out there do you know what Tim Hortons Field holds without using the upper levels?  I've heard the concern about using CFL stadiums if we don't approach sellouts and whether the atmosphere would suffer.  I still think even with 10000 if you fit everyone into the lower levels the atmosphere would be great.

7 minutes ago, shermanator said:

If it helps, those of us who are in the know about our respective markets are still excited about this league's launch. Frustrated by the delays, but still excited.

Calgary is obviously a massive market for the league and Calgary/Edmonton possibly its biggest rivalry.  Do you think there's a strong chance of Calgary in 2019 and would they play out of McMahon?  And has anyone figured out for sure who Port City FC refers to?  

Edited by Shortdutchcanuck

3 minutes ago, Impactsupporter said:

I checked the nicknames of various Canadian cities on Wikipedia and Port City is used for St-John New Brunswick.

Can't see Saint John being involved unless the Irving's own the team as they own half of New Brunswick. I can almost 100% guarantee Port City FC isn't Halifax. 

1 hour ago, lazlo_80 said:

Team names leaked. Instagram account launched. Teasers of video production. Vague hints on social media. 

Yet Somehow this thread still sucks the fun out of all of it. Congrats. It’s officially the most depressing place to talk about something legit exciting. 

Sorry. I’ll let it get back to the regularly scheduled “is it even happening?” Argument that’s been happening for the last 2 years. 

The point of forums is discussion, debate and speculation. And frankly it would be boring if everyone was in total agreement over everything.

I wouldn't be on here if I wasn't excited and interested in the league.

Edited by mpg_29

3 minutes ago, HfxCeltic said:

Can't see Saint John being involved unless the Irving's own the team as they own half of New Brunswick. I can almost 100% guarantee Port City FC isn't Halifax. 

Also isn't Moncton the obvious choice in NB?

Could Port City FC and Halifax Wanderers FC both be trademarked as potential names for Halifax, just as Hamilton trademarked both Hamilton United and Hamilton Steelers?  Either way I think of them as the Wanderers already just I think of Hamilton as the Steelers.  Although purists will be very disappointed in me when I say I prefer Hamilton Steelers SC to Hamilton Steelers FC.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

isn't Halifax a good fit for Port City FC?

It's not like Halifax is the only port city in Canada or something, so it wouldn't make much sense. Since Saint John is actually nicknamed that it would kinda make sense for them, although it's still a pretty vague name.

Port City could refer to Québec City. It has a very large port, and is within the population requirements that were mentioned. 

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_de_Québec

They would obviously need a Francophone name, as I'd question the business intelligence of anyone going into that market with Port City FC as their team name, but then again, it is only a preliminary trademark, and probably included significant intellectual property ancillary to the original name. 

11 minutes ago, Zem said:

It's not like Halifax is the only port city in Canada or something, so it wouldn't make much sense. Since Saint John is actually nicknamed that it would kinda make sense for them, although it's still a pretty vague name.

It does seem to be used quite a bit in Halifax as well:

https://portcitystrollers.com/

http://www.portcityauto.ca/port-city-auto-experts-feedback-halifax-nova-scotia

https://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/port-city-tattoo-studio/Location?oid=2659439

http://www.halifaxpublicgardens.ca/event/port-city-concert-band-performs-at-the-band-concert-series/

and there is nothing out of the ordinary in trademarking multiple possible names for a new sports team prior to a franchise announcement as a name the team poll is often a way to generate interest.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

2 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Also for any Hamilton fans out there do you know what Tim Hortons Field holds without using the upper levels?  I've heard the concern about using CFL stadiums if we don't approach sellouts and whether the atmosphere would suffer.  I still think even with 10000 if you fit everyone into the lower levels the atmosphere would be great.

Rugby Canada vs USA last year was 13k, I thought it was an excellent atmosphere there. Idk if you'd get that consistently, but even Argos with 15k spread throughout was decent.

Edit: Here's a photo from that game.

V-hmNMmHg016AUCaRXjBVj_r7Jk8qLj0wMXVWXkx

Edited by Tigers

2 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

The point of forums is discussion, debate and speculation. And frankly it would be boring if everyone was in total agreement over everything.

I wouldn't be on here if I wasn't excited and interested in the league.

I just wished the discussion had evolved a little more with the new news.

Edited by lazlo_80
typo

2 hours ago, HfxCeltic said:

Irving ($$$$$) is the type of owner the CPL needs, and hope they would be involved.

17 minutes ago, matty said:

York9 or York 9 is an awful name and has caused me to lose all remaining faith in the CPL. Anyone adopting early-2000s pop-punk/emo band approach to names is worse than the Warped Tour and needs a slap.

I don't have much opinion one way or the other on "York 9", but when I see "York9" I feel like someone didn't get the email address/twitter handle/whatever unique identifier you want to name, that they were looking for.

27 minutes ago, Kent said:
46 minutes ago, matty said:

York9 or York 9 is an awful name and has caused me to lose all remaining faith in the CPL. Anyone adopting early-2000s pop-punk/emo band approach to names is worse than the Warped Tour and needs a slap.

I don't have much opinion one way or the other on "York 9", but when I see "York9" I feel like someone didn't get the email address/twitter handle/whatever unique identifier you want to name, that they were looking for.

York Nine FC Better?

6 minutes ago, Bbeto said:

York Nine FC Better?

No but "The York Nine" would be

Example: The Dave Clark Five. This name is great but when it's Dave Clark 5 it becomes awful and reminds everyone how many terrible band names there were in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Edited by matty