CPL General

I don't think there is any reason why you couldn't have playoffs and pro/rel in the same league. For a top league, all that you would need is to ensure that the bars are set such that no playoff team gets relegated. So lets say you have a 12 team league, the bottom team or bottom 2 teams can be relegated, and the top 4, or 8 teams even go to the playoffs.

That being said, I don't have strong feelings one way or the other towards having playoffs. I think they could be good to draw more eyeballs to the league, but perhaps they are trying to maximize the number of games by not having them.

3 hours ago, Alex D said:

The champions league should be what teams are fighting for at the end of the season. If we get to the point of 10-12 teams we should have 3 or 4 spots in the CCL. 

We should have 3 or 4 spots in the CCL if/when our CCL results dictate we should. I hope someday we go to a coefficient system like UEFA, but I'm really not counting on it.

Just to get specific about Duane's tweet and Paul's statement on VMP, are they both specifically suggesting that there will be no playoffs?

Because just looking strictly at Duane's tweet... you can have both a single table and playoffs at the same time, they're not mutually exclusive, correct?

You can have a single table or multiple divisions/conferences. You can have playoffs or you can choose not to have playoffs. But you can definitely have a single table that leads to playoffs later on.

I think the majority here would agree that, whether with 6 teams or 8 teams, a single table is preferred to having 2 divisions or conferences. And that the majority would say that playoffs, or at least a championship game, would be necessary, in the foreseeable absence of pro/rel and multiple CCL direct spots.

We know that the Premier League doesn't need playoffs, not only because of the FA Cup and UCL, but also because of the race for the top 4 spots.

Ultimately, I'd like to see a single table with about 12 teams in the top division, with the top four teams making the playoffs, 2 leg semi finals and single knock out in the final.

Ideally the CSA would get three spots in the Champion's League. The winner of the CPL regular season gets a CL spot.  The playoff winner gets a CL spot, and the winner of the Voyageurs cup gets a spot. If any of those teams already earned a spot, it comes down to some combination of second place in the CPL regular season or runner up in the Cup.

If, and that is IF the CPL ever has enough teams to go pro/rel, the bottom team would get automatically relegated, and the next to last would play a 2 legged playoff with the second team in the lower division to see who plays in Div 1 the following year. Alternatively, depending on the strength of the second league, the bottom team of Div 1 and the top team in Div 2 have a playoff and no team gets directly promoted or relegated.

However, promotion would depend on the team that is to be promoted. If they meet certain thresholds in stadium size and financial stability, they can move up. If not, they remain in Div 2.

2 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

Just to add, if the league's debut season had 6 teams and no playoffs, then I'd at least suggest they split the season into two, a la apertura/clausura or the NASL spring/fall season. And have a title game with the winner of the two split seasons. Or not, just a suggestion.

If they have 6-8 teams for a while that might be the best way to go. We're a post-season culture so something should be there for casual fans.

Personally I think if they are doing single table without playoffs then they need to get to 16 teams and do pro/rel asap cause single table is wasted without something for bottom teams to fight for. You gotta have a narrative for fans of all teams to enjoy.

-Last place team fan in a single table with 4-6 playoff spots with 4 games left - "Come on guys! We're only 5 points out of the playoffs"

-Last place team fan in a single table with pro/rel with 4 games left - "Come on guys! Fight for survival we're only 5 points out"

-Last place team fan in a single table with nadda and 4 games left - "I'm bored I think I'll watch Becker"

PS - They should do a league cup lol

Edited by matty

I can't understand how TFC supporters could be against a second team in Toronto.  It would give them an inter city rival (one they should be able to easily beat in the early years) and it will keep management honest as they would have competition and will not want to lose supporters.  If I was diehard TFC, I would be 100% for this.  I really can't see what their issue is.  

34 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Is it TFCredbrigade or something like that?

Yep that was him lol.  I used the message board trick of when I don't want to argue of, "agree to disagree, cheers" and it's worked so far

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Yep that was him lol.  I used the message board trick of when I don't want to argue of, "agree to disagree, cheers" and it's worked so far

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure some people in the GTA know who that is. Has been twitter-banned under several twitter handles only to resurface under a new handle to continue trolling. 

Best not to engage with them at all I've found. 

Just now, rob.notenboom said:

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure some people in the GTA know who that is. Has been twitter-banned under several twitter handles only to resurface under a new handle to continue trolling. 

Thanks for the heads up.  I did one smart ass remark but followed with a "seriously though there's room enough for MLS, USL and CPL in Canada"  Haven't heard anything more but yeah I'll stay away.  Not worth the time or hassle

35 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

IIRC, he's a RPB member that is a known oddball, I wouldn't say he's reflective of the collective group or TFC fans in general 

Edited by Complete Homer

3 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

IIRC, he's a RPB member that is a known oddball, I wouldn't say he's reflective of the collective group or TFC fans in general 

Just checked out a few of his other tweets and yeah he's a bit out there.  Definitely staying away thanks

2 hours ago, matty said:

@Rheo this guy? Seems delightful

Didn't really address me, he was "discussing" things with the new BC CPL supporters twitter (side note have they announced on here?) Minding my own business from now on lol

12 hours ago, Rheo said:

Stumbled on a MLS truther/anti CPL guy (troll?) on Twitter last night, my first really.  Man he was irrationally crazy.  Actually is irrationally crazy, he's still going this morning lol.  

A guy on r/tfc argued with me there isn't a place for another academy in the GTA. Come on bud Sigma has a similar amount of players in MLS than TFC academy, there's room.

The CSA will get a maximum of 2 spots for CCL, just like the other leagues in CONCACAF, and that second spot will be forced to play in the first stage of the tournament.

They'll probably be pressured by the MLS clubs to have both spots decided by the finalists of the Voyageurs Cup so the MLS clubs (the best teams in Canada) have more of a chance to get to play in CCL. The CSA will probably make the winner of the Voyageur Cup get the spot that plays in the second stage and the CPL Champion would take the second spot.

I like the idea of a split schedule, but I don't know how it would be balanced because there isn't enough weeks between April and June to schedule 14 games.  July-October isn't a problem.

If they go single table, I'm not seeing an easy way to balance the schedule if they keep adding teams to the league in the short term. They're going to have to have playoffs between the top four teams to crown a winner.

As far as Pro-Rel, I think they will split the lower division into East and West to keep costs down. The top team in each east and west conference will have a playoff to decide who gets to play to be promoted into the first single-table division.