CPL General

17 hours ago, Initial B said:

The CSA will get a maximum of 2 spots for CCL, just like the other leagues in CONCACAF.

Panama, Honduras and Costa Rica all have 4 spots. El Salvador has 3. There it's no reason Canada can't have 3 or 4 when the CPL is up to speed. MLS will have zero influence on how these are distributed. 

5 hours ago, Alex D said:

Panama, Honduras and Costa Rica all have 4 spots. El Salvador has 3. There it's no reason Canada can't have 3 or 4 when the CPL is up to speed. MLS will have zero influence on how these are distributed. 

I agree that once the CPL is up to speed Canada should have at least 3 (2 CPL, 1 VCup). The only issue is where do the extra spots come from? I guessing CPL gets one in the fall league first replacing one of the CFU spots or maybe a playoff.

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Just one thought after reading this...

8,600 seat stadium is a strangely specific number...makes me think they've already spent some time considering the stadium design.

24 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Just one thought after reading this...

8,600 seat stadium is a strangely specific number...makes me think they've already spent some time considering the stadium design.

If they are planning to approach city council, they must have at least a general idea. The characterizing of the Germany trip by Belan as "due diligence" certainly implies a more advanced stage than just seeing what's out there (especially considering how random it would be to travel to see a 3rd tier German stadium and get a tour). 

Quick! Start monitoring all of the Regina city council documents! :P

Edited by Complete Homer

7 hours ago, Alex D said:

Under the new format, only 1 team from each of those countries makes the second stage automatically. They each have 2 spots available for their teams in the second stage. Canada would probably only get one of those spots, with the other countries' Associations screaming blue murder. Maybe they take one of the Carribean spots or El Salvador's (no biters allowed), but no way will they allow two additional spots unless the results prove the need.

As for Saskatchewan, I don't see Regina building another stadium when they just built the Mosaic. Otoh, Saskatoon has a prime piece of real estate next to the Persephone Theatre downtown that's a parking lot right now. You could plop a sub-10K stadium footprint right there and revitalize the downtown.

3 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

If they are planning to approach city council, they must have at least a general idea. The characterizing of the Germany trip by Belan as "due diligence" certainly implies a more advanced stage than just seeing what's out there (especially considering how random it would be to travel to see a 3rd tier German stadium and get a tour). 

Quick! Start monitoring all of the Regina city council documents! :P

If they built a place that looked like some of those german stadiums it could be really, really special.

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

Paging @rob.notenboom

Of course we wouldn't ask you to upset any relationship with the owners by prying though 

This is one of those topics that I'm quite sure I'll get absolutely no info on. Financial arrangements, municipal & govt agreements, CanPL arrangements between owners are completely behind the curtain. 

Having said that, I'd love to know. But I'm not sure that it's worth asking tbh. 

1 hour ago, Initial B said:

Under the new format, only 1 team from each of those countries makes the second stage automatically. They each have 2 spots available for their teams in the second stage. Canada would probably only get one of those spots, with the other countries' Associations screaming blue murder. Maybe they take one of the Carribean spots or El Salvador's (no biters allowed), but no way will they allow two additional spots unless the results prove the need.

I think we'll end up with a total of 2 for a while. (V Cup and CPL Cup).

but "drama, drama" : The CSA decides how it allocates those spots. If CONCACAF don't get both spots to Round 2, who will the CSA put above? CPL Cup or V-Cup? So far based on precedents, the domestic league championship is ranked higher than the national tournament. It's also in the CSA interest to put CPL over to increase people's interest in the league. The CSA has already demonstrated that it could be indifferent to what our 3 MLS clubs demands or complaints.

56 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

This is one of those topics that I'm quite sure I'll get absolutely no info on. Financial arrangements, municipal & govt agreements, CanPL arrangements between owners are completely behind the curtain. 

Having said that, I'd love to know. But I'm not sure that it's worth asking tbh. 

I suspect you're right, and it's probably not worth rocking the boat asking a financial question publicly. Doesn't serve anyone's interest to put them in an awkward position