CPL General

On 2017-06-13 at 8:02 PM, harrycoyster said:

This is incorrect in a bunch of ways that it would take an essay to correct, but I understand the misconception; the TV deals aren't clear. Suffice to say that MLS teams got $6 million each from the league this year in collective TV money, so the league made over $132 million in TV deals in the 2016 season. Teams got $5.5 million in 2015. 

NCAA softball averages better numbers than MLS games because only the very end of the Softball playoffs make national television. If they broadcast regular season games the numbers would be terrible. Additionally, MLS has really, really good numbers in the 18-35 male demographic (the highest value adult demographic). That makes a huge difference to advertisers.

Sorry to resurrect this after 3 weeks...had forgotten about it until seeing a notification. The misconceptions are entirely yours. The combined tv deal was 90 million for all platforms and includes Spanish language rights to Univision. The package included USMNT and USWNT teams rights. MLS almost certainly gets nothing from markets outside of the US and of course, that is only informed speculation, because they don't publish numbers for those deals. I'd be surprised if they get anything more than $50-55 million from all sources let alone $132 million. but hey, if you can provide a link to something reputable that supports your data, I am happy to be convinced.

Perhaps worth noting that the well documented $US 90 million for the Fox/Univision/ESPN deal is worth around $CAN 117 million at the moment and in addition to the US rights fees there is money to be earned not only in Canada from the TSN and TVA Sports deals but also overseas where MLS gets onto some high profile broadcasters such as Sky and Eurosport as filler content in part because the summer season format runs across the off season of most top European leagues, so it's not difficult to see how it could have reached $CAN 132 million collectively for 2016 and that's before the regional deals for individual franchises are added in.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2015/04/07/10548822/consistent-exposure-key-to-new-mls-international-tv-deals

http://www.sportsvideo.org/2015/03/06/mls-eurosport-announce-four-year-partnership-to-broadcast-games-in-europe/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sky-air-live-mls-games-777639

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Just a thought . . .

When the big announcement for the CPL was made on 6 May 17, the press release stated that they had "already received expressions of interest from 10 Canadian cities and will be assessing bids over the next 60-90 days." We're just past the 60 day mark, so in theory everything should be wrapped up in another month. Any bets on when the results will officially be made public? :)

No clue when the next public drop of info will come.  I like that Beirne is out there, doing podcasts, being fairly active on Twitter.  It keeps the hard core fans like us satisfied (for the most part lol) with little nuggets here and there. I find it interesting him doing the Footy Talks in October.  He's the big guest it seems so it would seem likely that there might be something newsworthy by then for him but that's me just guessing lol.

1 hour ago, m-g-williams said:

Just a thought . . .

When the big announcement for the CPL was made on 6 May 17, the press release stated that they had "already received expressions of interest from 10 Canadian cities and will be assessing bids over the next 60-90 days." We're just past the 60 day mark, so in theory everything should be wrapped up in another month. Any bets on when the results will officially be made public? :)

We're always halfway to the next announcement.

The timing of the May announcement probably revolved around making the league fully public when Victor Montagliani was still in charge more than the timing being ripe from the investors' standpoint. They do appear to have enough interested parties to reach six to get the ball rolling with interest skewed more towards smaller markets than was initially rumoured in a manner that makes it a lot easier to build up franchise numbers in the long term than if it all revolved around using CFL stadia with a view to being 2026 solo bid host cities, which may or may not have been the plan A scenario. I think things would need to be further along in terms of franchise announcements for 2018 to be likely at this point as rushing things at the last minute risks a fiasco. By the sounds of what Paul Beirne and the new CSA president are saying when interviewed I don't expect to see anything emerge until 2019, but Paul Beirne's approach fills me with hope that something sensible and long lasting will eventually emerge. 

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Personally I never expected a summer announcement and I didn't take the 60-90 days to be set in stone either. Simply put, not enough eyes. Too many people on holidays etc. And also too many variables to accurately predict when a league announcement could be made (even with a 30 day potential range given). Also, that was the range given for the EOI evaluations not for when an announcement would happen.

90 days puts us on Friday, August 4th. That would be a terrible date for an announcement. I'm thinking second week of September if they're ready by then.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

Hacked?

Clearly wasn't around on the various soccer messageboards back in 2005 when I was one of the people consistently arguing on Bigsoccer and elsewhere that MLS could work in Toronto when many people were claiming otherwise, because of what had happened with the Lynx. With the right economic model pro soccer can definitely work in Canada. A big budget rival to MLS backed by the CFL was a fantasy scenario, because there are too few possible markets available for that and MLS is too deeply entrenched now to easily be knocked off its perch. Aiming for markets 200,000+ and multiple teams in the outer 'burbs of the three major metro areas that have MLS teams in place is a model that actually makes sense as long as they are sensible on the break even and don't let Hamilton or Winnipeg become the next 86ers that the other investors get fed up of losing to.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Clearly wasn't around on the various soccer messageboards back in 2005 when I was one of the people consistently arguing on Bigsoccer and elsewhere that MLS could work in Toronto when many people were claiming otherwise, because of what had happened with the Lynx. With the right economic model pro soccer can definitely work in Canada. A big budget rival to MLS backed by the CFL was a fantasy scenario, because there are too few possible markets available for that and MLS is too deeply entrenched now to easily be knocked off its perch. Aiming for markets 200,000+ and multiple teams in the outer 'burbs of the three major metro areas that have MLS teams in place is a model that actually makes sense as long as they are sensible on the break even and don't let Hamilton or Winnipeg become the next 86ers that the other investors get fed up of losing to.

Yeah, I was just having a laugh.

I wasn't on the boards back then. I've been following Canadian soccer for almost 30 years, but only obsessively so for the last 6 years, and only started regularly lurking on this forum around the time of Sandor breaking the division 1A news and Rollins starting talk of an NASL-CFL-TSN joint venture.

A guy with your handle has to have an optimistic history, but over the last few years you have come off more pessimistic than most on this board. I do agree with the post you made that I was poking fun at though. Cheers.

On July 7, 2017 at 2:06 PM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It was never a scenario. Like others have pointed, the league's budget has always been consistent. 

However, it's clear that with promotion relegation occurring somewhere down the line, and with reps from the Hamilton team saying they'd like to rival TFC in terms of fan support, the CPL will likely make an eventual move to an open market system where the better supported and better run clubs will be allowed to flourish.

Edited by Macksam