CPL General

I was just reading through the article on the NBL and noticed that the original proposal expected about 3,000 average attendance.  Six years on and they're getting about 1,800 average or 1,500 median.

Goes to show the difference between projections and what happens when a project actually takes off.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if most here are freaking out in two years because average attendance is 3,000 instead of the "promised" 5,000.

27 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I was just reading through the article on the NBL and noticed that the original proposal expected about 3,000 average attendance.  Six years on and they're getting about 1,800 average or 1,500 median.

Goes to show the difference between projections and what happens when a project actually takes off.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if most here are freaking out in two years because average attendance is 3,000 instead of the "promised" 5,000.

I do think 5k is more of a 5-year goal than a day one one. Also I do think the CPL might be a slow build.

Personally, the NBL seems like a bad comparison for me. Everything I've heard about that league seems far less big bucks than the CPL so far. I have a feeling CPL will reach its goal thanks to how powerful those involved are.

18 minutes ago, matty said:

I do think 5k is more of a 5-year goal than a day one one. Also I do think the CPL might be a slow build.

Personally, the NBL seems like a bad comparison for me. Everything I've heard about that league seems far less big bucks than the CPL so far. I have a feeling CPL will reach its goal thanks to how powerful those involved are.

I definitely agree that it's got a lot less money behind it - they've got a salary cap of $150k for 10-12 players.

It doesn't mean the projections will be any more or less accurate.

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

I definitely agree that it's got a lot less money behind it - they've got a salary cap of $150k for 10-12 players.

It doesn't mean the projections will be any more or less accurate.

It doesn't but I'm leaning to more accurate thanks to said money going into marketing and likely better TV exposure.

In all fairness the NBL is also just a regional league with one division in Atlantic Canada and the other in Ontario.I think the league is moving in he right direction but they have plenty of baggage to deal with like having their championship game 7 forfeited over 'safety concerns' 2 years back. I know in Halifax the team struggles to draw as the league has a reputation of being a 'Mickey Mouse league'. 

I dont think 5000 average league wide is an unrealistic goal considering Hamilton and Winnipeg already have marketing infrastructure in place and can cross market with their CFL teams. Of course as with any new league there are going to be teams who fall under the targets. To me it depends on which teams are under target for instance in Halifax draws 3500 a game that wont be as bad as Hamilton drawing 3500 a game.

The one thing that does worry me is what I have seen digitally from the league so far. Their website is terrible, looks like it was designed by toddler. The have virtually no significant presence on social media and have had even less coverage in conventional media. I contrast this with the Toronto Wolfpack who were active in social media, conventional media and had a great web presence well before the franchise was slated to kick off. Maybe the CPL and their prospective franchises will change that once launch gets closer. If they dont this league will be in trouble before it gets off the ground. 

I am one of those who has made the NBL comparison, but it was really just meant to be a limited analogy to stress the importance of marketing CPL in the right way and delivering a total package that gets people out.  I say all this having only attended 3 or 4 NBL games this winter, but we took the family and enjoyed the whole experience.  The team/players seem to be actively involved in a fair degree of community outreach - which is impressive considering the pay levels involved.  

The comparison isn't meant as a like-for-like scenario.  Just that there are lessons to be learned about how a far more modest league can generate interest.

21 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Some CanPL news from Sask will come out early this coming week. Not a major announcement or anything, but a bit of grist for the mill :)

Ok, for the record, I consider confirmation that you're getting a team to be a "major announcement"

https://www.facebook.com/events/1413064912148440/?acontext={"ref"%3A"3"%2C"ref_newsfeed_story_type"%3A"regular"%2C"feed_story_type"%3A"279"%2C"action_history"%3A"null"}

8 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Ah. Good point. I kind of thought that was public knowledge as there was a Saskatoon Star Phoenix article saying as much several months ago that was shared fairly broadly. I suppose it could have been taken as that ownership was just 'looking' at possibly starting a team, but I would say the probability is very high that Sask will have a team. The ownership folks are very motivated. 

1 minute ago, Rheo said:

I barely remember the article but it's just nice to see a public meeting, with Beirne there and the prospective owners.  Just more encouraging news which is always welcome.

Yes we are very excited. Like elsewhere, those informed and paying attention to CanPL are in a bit of a bubble. Heck it's even a smaller bubble than elsewhere. This will really get the word out and there also should be major media coverage. You could see how galvanizing similar events were in Hamilton and Halifax so I'm hoping the same thing will happen here. It is at a great time too as soccer will be the real focus in the province with the Valencia-Cosmos friendly and Soccer Day in Sask all happening on July 22.

5 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Yes we are very excited. Like elsewhere, those informed and paying attention to CanPL are in a bit of a bubble. Heck it's even a smaller bubble than elsewhere. This will really get the word out and there also should be major media coverage. You could see how galvanizing similar events were in Hamilton and Halifax so I'm hoping the same thing will happen here. It is at a great time too as soccer will be the real focus in the province with the Valencia-Cosmos friendly and Soccer Day in Sask all happening on July 22.

yea honestly, until we have these kind of events it's literally a couple hundred people who are even aware.   all about exposure and getting dat exponential growth tho

Won't start with fewer than 6, and PB thinks they need to know who the next two are at launch. More than 10 interested, but putting together viable facilities and ownership group are a puzzle to put together so there is a spectrum of readiness. 6 is better as a starting point from a player pool standpoint.

Wants teams in the three major cities eventually, but in Toronto doesn't see any of the existing smaller stadia like Birchmount etc as viable, so it will take some time. Key seems to be that they want to be viable in smaller communities like Halifax, Moncton, Kelowna and Penticton, so he pushes the multiple team angle again but this is way off in the future.

They'll start when they are ready. March is a bit of a stretch. April to October possibly into November given everything else that needs to be fitted in. PB says global football authenticity seems to be prevailing where playoffs are concerned.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

I think Mississauga is perfectly viable as a GTA option....would love to see it...yes I'm a homer but I think it can work as either Team 7 or 8...but Kitchener-Waterloo may be more likely...

My predicted 6 to start (just so I'm on the record)

Hamilton

Winnipeg

Halifax

Regina

Ottawa Fury FC

Fraser Valley

11 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

I think Mississauga is perfectly viable as a GTA option....would love to see it...

More than 200,000 people, so definitely viable in terms of their overall vision, but the key in all of this will be finding an investor and a stadium solution, so as with Toronto I suspect it may not be easy if building a stadium is involved.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

More than 200,000 people, so definitely viable in terms of their overall vision, but the key in all of this will be finding an investor and a stadium solution, so as with Toronto I suspect it may not be easy if building a stadium is involved.

modular stadiums are not that hard, just need land and a serious investor interested in the project

Agree they are straightforward in construction terms, but the tougher bit is finding a suitable piece of land that is affordable and fits well in terms of transportation and won't be shot down due to NIMBYism when it goes to approval from local politicians. My impression from what PB was saying on the podcast is that he sees that as being easier to do away from Toronto.

41 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Agree they are straightforward in construction terms, but the tougher bit is finding a suitable piece of land that is affordable and fits well in terms of transportation and won't be shot down due to NIMBYism when it goes to approval from local politicians. My impression from what PB was saying on the podcast is that he sees that as being easier to do away from Toronto.

Why am I liking so many of your posts these days?