CPL General

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

The Saskatchewan franchise is planned for either Regina or Saskatoon, expected to be treated as a provincial team like the Roughriders and Rush.

Can't say I like the fact they view the whole province as theirs but nothing prevents:

• another group to set up shop in the next city (Regina or Saskatoon) after the success of that group
  • Regina or Saskatoon could be a potential D2 team

The CKOM article did say "The group has the rights to a Saskatchewan franchise" so I'm not sure if that means Saskatchewan rights or rights to a franchise in Saskatchewan. If they've been given rights however and they haven't made up their mind where it's going, that might mean that they have provincial territorial rights.

Regarding stadium costs, on the "Boom Source" Saskie frenzy thread, I posted the specs on the stadium the Saskatchewan potential owner group visited in Germany, Wiesbaden specifically. The price is, converted to CDN dollars, 19 million:

Name of stadium: BRITA-Arena
Total capacity: 12,566
standing room: 5800
  thereof 5800 covered
Seats: 6766
  thereof 6766 covered
boxes: 14
Year of construction: 2007
construction costs: 14.00 Mill. €
Turf heating: yes
Running track: no
Surface:

Natural turf

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Regarding stadium costs, on the "Boom Source" Saskie frenzy thread, I posted the specs on the stadium the Saskatchewan potential owner group visited in Germany, Wiesbaden specifically. The price is, converted to CDN dollars, 19 million:

Name of stadium: BRITA-Arena
Total capacity: 12,566
standing room: 5800
  thereof 5800 covered
Seats: 6766
  thereof 6766 covered
boxes: 14
Year of construction: 2007
construction costs: 14.00 Mill. €
Turf heating: yes
Running track: no
Surface:

Natural turf

Which "BOOM Source" thread? :P

But yeah, exactly, looks like Brita could serve as a template. I'd be pretty jealous of Sask if they got something of that calibre

My thoughts on the article.

"The group has the rights to a Saskatchewan franchise in the newly-formed Canadian Premier League." Interesting to see they already have rights to a team there.

"I was approached by (CPL President) Paul Beirne". Has he ever been referred to as the president before? I feel like I haven't seen that title for him yet but I could be wrong, especially since I don't listen to podcasts and there have been a lot on the CPL recently.

"The Saskatchewan franchise is planned for either Regina or Saskatoon, expected to be treated as a provincial team like the Roughriders and Rush." Well then I hope this Saskatchewan team goes to Saskatoon, for the selfish reason that when the CPL is a big hit and someone wants to put another team in Saskatchewan, we will have teams named "Saskatchewan" and "Regina" instead of "Saskatchewan" and "Saskatoon". Someone is going to shorten the name to Sask, and I don't want any ambiguity.

Just now, Kent said:

My thoughts on the article.

"The group has the rights to a Saskatchewan franchise in the newly-formed Canadian Premier League." Interesting to see they already have rights to a team there.

"I was approached by (CPL President) Paul Beirne". Has he ever been referred to as the president before? I feel like I haven't seen that title for him yet but I could be wrong, especially since I don't listen to podcasts and there have been a lot on the CPL recently.

"The Saskatchewan franchise is planned for either Regina or Saskatoon, expected to be treated as a provincial team like the Roughriders and Rush." Well then I hope this Saskatchewan team goes to Saskatoon, for the selfish reason that when the CPL is a big hit and someone wants to put another team in Saskatchewan, we will have teams named "Saskatchewan" and "Regina" instead of "Saskatchewan" and "Saskatoon". Someone is going to shorten the name to Sask, and I don't want any ambiguity.

Vocal Minority called him that, and I believe someone else did as well. Never saw anything official, he always called himself the "project manager", but maybe he didn't feel it was appropriate to waive the title around before the league actually existed

On 7/11/2017 at 2:45 PM, mrstepp817 said:

My predicted 6 to start (just so I'm on the record)

Hamilton

Winnipeg

Halifax

Regina

Ottawa Fury FC

Fraser Valley

Sorry, no way Ottawa is happening in 2018. They're not going to stop playing in USL and be off 4 months until the CPL starts up after the WC. They will be part of the 2019 expansion, though even that is in doubt if the salary cap is as high as the CPL says it's going to be. They don't have deep-pocketed owners. The only ones that does is Eugene Melnyk, owner of the Ottawa Senators. The two groups do not get along ever since Melnyk tried to get a MLS franchise to Ottawa just before the Fury were up and running.

Think the first six are likely to be Halifax, Hamilton, K/W, Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Fraser Valley, four using existing stadia with pop-ups in Halifax and Saskatoon (or maybe Regina). That's based mainly on recent newspaper stories and who was in the photograph taken at the CSA AGM. I'd be very surprised if anything happens before 2019.

1 hour ago, Initial B said:

Sorry, no way Ottawa is happening in 2018. They're not going to stop playing in USL and be off 4 months until the CPL starts up after the WC. They will be part of the 2019 expansion, though even that is in doubt if the salary cap is as high as the CPL says it's going to be. They don't have deep-pocketed owners. The only ones that does is Eugene Melnyk, owner of the Ottawa Senators. The two groups do not get along ever since Melnyk tried to get a MLS franchise to Ottawa just before the Fury were up and running.

OSEG doesn't have deep pocketed owners?

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think the first six are likely to be Halifax, Hamilton, K/W, Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Fraser Valley, four using existing stadia with pop-ups in Halifax and Saskatoon (or maybe Regina). That's based mainly on recent newspaper stories and who was in the photograph taken at the CSA AGM. I'd be very surprised if anything happens before 2019.

KW won't be in until they get a new stadium. They won't play out of university stadium, it's not up to professional standards. 

2 minutes ago, Alex D said:

KW won't be in until they get a new stadium. They won't play out of university stadium, it's not up to professional standards. 

I'm ignorant to the situation down there.

What would you consider "professional standards" and what would it take to make that stadium get there?

10 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I'm ignorant to the situation down there.

What would you consider "professional standards" and what would it take to make that stadium get there?

There are others on here with more info than I have, but the clubs' owner wants a proper soccer stadium. Stands close to the pitch on all sides, no football lines, and basic amenities that fans expect when they go to a professional sporting event. 

University stadium is one big grandstand with plastic benches and wooden runners. There is a running track and permanent football lines. There is one small concession stand and a pair of small bathrooms. The whole stadium is generally spartan and dated, and it's hidden away in a residential neighborhood. 

Long story short, it won't work. 

32 minutes ago, Alex D said:

There are others on here with more info than I have, but the clubs' owner wants a proper soccer stadium. Stands close to the pitch on all sides, no football lines, and basic amenities that fans expect when they go to a professional sporting event. 

University stadium is one big grandstand with plastic benches and wooden runners. There is a running track and permanent football lines. There is one small concession stand and a pair of small bathrooms. The whole stadium is generally spartan and dated, and it's hidden away in a residential neighborhood. 

Long story short, it won't work. 

Thanks!

58 minutes ago, matty said:

Who's ready to explode with joy?

Doing divisions doesn't make sense with 6 teams, but I'm sure this will bring joy to a lot of you.

Also Non-News talk: I really hope the CPL teams are as invested in their promotion as the Deltas are.

I agree that divisions wouldn't be necessary in a league this size, but (despite this being an unpopular opinion around here) I really hope they give some thought to having a post-season.  It gives more teams a goal they can strive for - something that more fans can get invested in as the season wears on.  Casual fans aren't going to show up to a cold October game thinking "maybe we can finish in third place!", but they might stand a better chance of doing so if they're thinking "maybe we can make the playoffs!"  Earning a playoff birth will give them a sense of achievement that simply finishing with improved position can't replicate.

Now maybe they have a strategy behind avoiding playoffs.  Maybe they want to attract a strong supporters base of purists and hope their energy brings in the casual fan.  Maybe they want to maximize our short playing season and don't want to throw away valuable weeks on only a few games.  I just hope the reason behind this isn't "playoffs are dumb", because I can't tell you how many times I've written previews for 3rd vs 4th matchups in L1O this year and thought "this game would be a lot more meaningful if finishing 3rd actually meant something".

2 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

I agree that divisions wouldn't be necessary in a league this size, but (despite this being an unpopular opinion around here) I really hope they give some thought to having a post-season.  It gives more teams a goal they can strive for - something that more fans can get invested in as the season wears on.  Casual fans aren't going to show up to a cold October game thinking "maybe we can finish in third place!", but they might stand a better chance of doing so if they're thinking "maybe we can make the playoffs!"  Earning a playoff birth will give them a sense of achievement that simply finishing with improved position can't replicate.

Now maybe they have a strategy behind avoiding playoffs.  Maybe they want to attract a strong supporters base of purists and hope their energy brings in the casual fan.  Maybe they want to maximize our short playing season and don't want to throw away valuable weeks on only a few games.  I just hope the reason behind this isn't "playoffs are dumb", because I can't tell you how many times I've written previews for 3rd vs 4th matchups in L1O this year and thought "this game would be a lot more meaningful if finishing 3rd actually meant something".

I 100% agree because honestly, without pro/rel, single table is pretty pointless. Having playoffs gives both teams something to battle for and fans something to hope for late in the season

14 hours ago, matty said:

I 100% agree because honestly, without pro/rel, single table is pretty pointless. Having playoffs gives both teams something to battle for and fans something to hope for late in the season

yep.  we beat this topic to death a little while ago, but I agree as well.

however, that changes as soon as you have any sort of pro/rel as you said.  

If engagement is the number one metric we are looking for, I don't see how it can be any other way.  But maybe their intention is to move towards pro/rel faster than any of our wildest dreams.  I guess we will see.

4 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

yep.  we beat this topic to death a little while ago, but I agree as well.

however, that changes as soon as you have any sort of pro/rel as you said.  

If engagement is the number one metric we are looking for, I don't see how it can be any other way.  But maybe their intention is to move towards pro/rel faster than any of our wildest dreams.  I guess we will see.

I can see that.