CPL General

8 hours ago, CanSuffer said:

No, not what I'm saying.  In fact, we should respect their process. I suppose, if we inquire and confirm that they really need one or two more subjects because they haven't met their target, then we could ask if they want us to suggest additional people. I suspect they will get enough interested persons in the "CPL Awareness" category :)

Of course, agree this is awesome to see it become more and more concrete

Oh darn didn't mean to imply it was you... was typing to fast meant to post "I'm trying" after I get you... 

We're waiting 2019 for sure though

Has anybody seen or heard anything about a York Region team recently from a source that doesn't just lead straight back to the York Region newspaper article about Jim Brennan leaving Aurora? That may just have been about saving face on Jim Brennan's part given what 1996 was posting, so think we badly need a second source on that.

Has David Clanachan's comment about no other CFL owners being involved been clarified yet? Not in the least surprised that the Stampeders are not a factor (despite what used to be rumoured in podcasts at one point) but no Ottawa Fury involvement would be a major bombshell in all of this.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Before the Brennan article, we hadn't heard of a York group at all so the lack of anything since is hardly surprising. As for the 1986 comments on Brennan as I said at the time there's no proof of his allegations. No offense to him but I'm taking them with a grain of salt and not as hard truth as you seem to be since it furthers your narrative BBTB

21 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Before the Brennan article, we hadn't heard of a York group at all so the lack of anything since is hardly surprising. As for the 1986 comments on Brennan as I said at the time there's no proof of his allegations. No offense to him but I'm taking them with a grain of salt and not as hard truth as you seem to be since it furthers your narrative BBTB

I'll stand by my comments about Brennan and from what  I saw how that League 1 Ontario team was run the first year when Aurora came into the league with my son being on that team. I'm not to going repeat what I wrote it's all there in my previous post. However, the guy is human he used his name and experience to make a good buck from Aurora, from what I saw and heard it was not money well spent when you think that even have of his over 100 000 salary could have gone along way in better funding the League 1 team, instead of in Brennan's words the player should be happy to play for the love of the game and possible future opportunities that playing in League 1 gave these players. However, like I said he is human and saw an opportunity to make a good buck so such is life. Moreover, I'm sure in whatever capacity he has with this York Region team he will have to earn his pay, this club I'm sure will be owned by a business person or business private for profit people and if his not working his tail off will be shown the door before a ball is kicked. Moreover, shame on the Aurora board members who approved of this kind of hiring all that money spent on one position for what really , when it could have been spent so much better.

Edited by 1996

On 1/19/2018 at 8:32 PM, CanSuffer said:

I'm going to try to go.  Note that the are looking for __small__ focus groups

Alas, I won't be there as they are already full. FYI, here is the response :

----

Thank you for your interest in the Canadian Premier League Focus Groups. We’ve had an incredible amount of interest in the groups since Paul’s tweet, and currently don’t have space for any additional participants.

We’ve put you on a wait list in case we have cancellations for our groups on Tuesday, and have also added you to a contact list for future research about the league.

Thank you again for your interest!

Eric

Eric Dickinson

Accounts Coordinator

J. Walter Thompson Toronto

160 Bloor Street East, Toronto, Ontario, M4W 3P7, Canada

T: +1 416 9267475 M: 647 469 1295

9 minutes ago, 1996 said:

I'll stand by my comments about Brennan and from what  I saw how that League 1 Ontario team was run the first year when Aurora came into the league with my son being on that team...

Suspect the comments rang true for anybody on here like me who has been actively involved in the sport at the grassroots level in Ontario.

3 hours ago, CanSuffer said:

Alas, I won't be there as they are already full. FYI, here is the response :

----

Thank you for your interest in the Canadian Premier League Focus Groups. We’ve had an incredible amount of interest in the groups since Paul’s tweet, and currently don’t have space for any additional participants.

We’ve put you on a wait list in case we have cancellations for our groups on Tuesday, and have also added you to a contact list for future research about the league.

Thank you again for your interest!

Eric

Eric Dickinson

Accounts Coordinator

J. Walter Thompson Toronto

160 Bloor Street East, Toronto, Ontario, M4W 3P7, Canada

T: +1 416 9267475 M: 647 469 1295

I'll be there. If they explicitly say we're free to share I'll pass things along, otherwise I plan to keep my mouth shut.

I'm not expecting them to reveal anything groundbreaking though, it wouldn't be worth risking control of information so close to the rollout

17 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Well Paul wants our thoughts in a Toronto CPL focus group so that's probably relevant to your interests...

Oh god focus groups ruin everything...except for Thriller that album was focus grouped into 100 million units shipped and having only 2 dud tracks

Me last week: "I think the numbers being floated around 4500-5500 average attendance are not realistic."

Commissioner: "Hold my beer!" 

https://sports.vice.com/en_ca/article/8xv3k5/let-the-commissioner-of-canadas-new-soccer-league-sell-you-on-it

"Clanachan also realizes the league won't open to giant, sold-out mega-stadiums; he puts attendance estimates in the range of 6,000 to 10,000 a game"

1 minute ago, mpg_29 said:

Me last week: "I think the numbers being floated around 4500-5500 average attendance are not realistic."

Commissioner: "Hold my beer!" 

https://sports.vice.com/en_ca/article/8xv3k5/let-the-commissioner-of-canadas-new-soccer-league-sell-you-on-it

"Clanachan also realizes the league won't open to giant, sold-out mega-stadiums; he puts attendance estimates in the range of 6,000 to 10,000 a game"

I think the difference is 4500-5500 has been floated at the point where things are "sustainable," 6000-10000 is probably where they are turning a profit

Clanachan's tour seems to be about finally engaging the media and beginning to build hype. I wouldn't be surprised if the number was a little inflated in the interviews to project a better image for the league without actually changing the attendance expectations that the underlying financials of the league rely on

9 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I think the difference is 4500-5500 has been floated at the point where things are "sustainable," 6000-10000 is probably where they are turning a profit

Clanachan's tour seems to be about finally engaging the media and beginning to build hype. I wouldn't be surprised if the number was a little inflated in the interviews to project a better image for the league without actually changing the attendance expectations that the underlying financials of the league rely on

Yeah that's my concern...because I don't think they are going to get those numbers.

I guess I am just pessimistic than others but I am going on other real world attendance examples we have such as Ottawa Fury, FC Edmonton and NBL Canada. 

I think an average attendance of 3500 to be a realistic best case scenario.