CPL General

20 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Only with right owners ( Molson) I think a team on the island of Montreal work. I like Robillard, been a s/t holder there for many years in the past. And right off a Metropolitain exit.

Big thing is it's in place and ready to go with minimal effort and expense and if they are serious about an April 2019 launch they need close to six of those. Along with the three CFL stadia (assuming Ottawa is in, which is no sure thing) plus Halifax (if they close the pop-up agreement and get the documents signed), the viable possibilities that don't involve cohabiting with MLS and MLS II teams, using marked fieldturf with Canadian football lines or getting municipal level permissions and doing some building on a very tight timeline are, Swangard (maybe for the Surrey team?), Clarke Stadium (FCE appear to be out right now), Spruce Meadows (risking ridicule with that one and seems unlikely but has been mentioned in dispatches on here), Ontario Soccer Centre (too small and bush league looking?), Claude Robillard, and a couple of real long shots in very small markets out east (i.e. Moncton and St John's). Of those, Claude Robillard probably, has the largest seating capacity when configured for soccer and would look most professional in a highlights reel.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

41 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Only with right owners ( Molson) I think a team on the island of Montreal would work. I like Robillard, been a s/t holder there for many years in the past. And right off a Metropolitain exit. Even though I live 5  minutes away, probably Laval would be a better choice.

It would make going to a game from the Rive-Nord a lot easier, that's for sure. 

Fighting traffic on the 15 and 40 to get to Stade Saputo is never fun. 

28 minutes ago, toontownman said:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/clanachan-we-are-going-to-create-a-professional-soccer-economy-1.972475

League launching in April 2018. Impressive they moved the start up a year. 

It's an error in the writing. On the show it's spring 2019. Concerning Quebec he said they had talks with people interested in Mtl, Quebec and Sherbrooke.

What even bothering to talk to somebody in Sherbrooke suggests is that the markets of 200k and above vision that Paul Beirne peddled last summer still holds at launch. If Halifax and Saskatoon are viewed as suitable for the first tranche of teams there is no evidence that small markets are being held back for later. The 32-48k being the average salary range snippet of info would point strongly to relatively low budgets when compared to the NASL of a couple of years ago when the Cosmos were still in full swing if the bizarre 500 million investment over 10 years statement hadn't also appeared, but maybe that was predicated on an aggressive and unlikely to actually ever happen expansion process beyond 16 teams?

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

What even bothering to talk to somebody in Sherbrooke suggests is that the markets of 200k and above vision that Paul Beirne peddled last summer still holds at launch. If Halifax and Saskatoon are viewed as suitable for the first tranche of teams there is no evidence that small markets are being held back for later. The 32-48k being the average salary range snippet of info would point strongly to relatively low budgets when compared to the NASL of a couple of years ago when the Cosmos were still in full swing if the bizarre 500 million investment over 10 years statement hadn't also appeared, but maybe that was predicated on an aggressive and unlikely to actually ever happen expansion process beyond 16 teams?

Wait where did you see this? That would be more realistic goal than the 50K-75K numbers being thrown around in my view.

16 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Wait where did you see this? That would be more realistic goal than the 50K-75K numbers being thrown around in my view.

Bobby McMahon mentioned it in his first article last week. I think it is from David Clanachan in one of his interviews on the day his appointment was announced but have not had time to 100% confirm it. The usual suspects on here are not keen on it given it's much more realistic.

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Bobby McMahon mentioned it in his first article last week. I think it is from David Clanachan in one of his interviews on the day his appointment was announced but have not had time to 100% confirm it. The usual suspects on here are not keen on it given it's much more realistic.

@mpg_29 is asking about the $32-48K USD range you were talking about, not MacMahon's figures.

As stated McMahon's first article mentioned this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2018/01/11/new-canadian-premier-league-names-its-first-commissioner-and-sets-kick-off-for-april-2019/#5c414e1e330b

....Some months ago those close to the new league had floated a salary range of $48,000US to $80,000US. These numbers seem to be morphing downwards with an average salary of between $32,000US and $48,000US now being mentioned, with “some players” making six figures in Canadian dollars....

At today’s exchange rate (1.25)  32k USD to 48k USD is 40k CAD to 60k CAD.  That sounds right.

I think everyone understands that the average salaries will be around 50k, some more, some less with a few people making 100k+.  With a full 24 man roster, 50x24 =1.2 million plus a couple marque guys =1.3-1.6 million.

Thats pretty much consistent in every article that I’ve seen for a long time.  Could a team have a payroll of 1.3 million?  Sure.  Could a team have a payroll of 1.7 million?  Sure.  These all are reasonable estimates.

The bottoms line is everyone’s trying to hash small details but generally there’s been no change. 

It's not at all clear what the other $3.5 million gets spent on in that scenario. That seems like massive overkill to me. It's probably about 300k or so for the travel involved from what I understand, and you don't need to be spending big salaries on coaches and front office staff. Certainly nowhere near six figures per staff member in either case, if the emphasis as has been stated is on hiring and developing Canadians with little prior experience. The big expenses start to rack up when you have to actually build something before you get to kick a ball in anger, which is why it's likely to be mainly ready to use as is stadiums initially, because who wants to drop a few million on that before you see that the league is actually going to be stable? If they had a total budget around $2 million by keeping the roster numbers limited to what you actually really need and using local amateur and youth call ups to pad things out in emergencies, you are looking at around 8,000 to 9,000 a game to break even, if you are charging movie priced tickets on average for 15 home games. Other revenue streams can start to chisel that break even point down a bit, but if they have no TV deal with enough eye balls attacted to interest sponsors that's probably not going to be by huge amounts.

2 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

There was an earlier article (From Steve Milton) saying salaries would be 40-60k

There was a later article from Bobby McMahons saying the salaries would be 32k-48K USD, which seems like it was just a simple conversion of Milton's numbers

McMahon did some calculations based on the reported level of "investment" in the league and said that it could reflect salaries in the 56k-75k range, though he made it clear he was spitballing

BBTB decided to grab ahold of the smallest possible number to use in his arguments. Looks like he's finally acknowledging that it's USD now

Edited by Complete Homer