CPL General

Listened to the Montreal 690 recording once, and here's what I took from it: targeting 10 teams to start in April 2019; since they made the official announcement of the launch they've had more groups come forward to discuss opportunities; no CFL involvement other than HAM/WPG; discussions with groups in Montreal, Quebec City and Sherbrooke; stadium sizes 6-8,000 up to 30,000; potentially four new stadiums being built; explained more about the $500 million number which should be understood within the context of the soccer economy they keep mentioning (player salaries, coaching, admin, ticket purchases, sponsorships, etc) so not purely the owner's investments; more announcements over the next six weeks regarding CPL and even announcing the actual teams; mentioned 15-16 large supporter's groups across the country; Tim Horton's sponsorship for soccer has become bigger than for hockey.

I never give as much credence to interviews as I do official press releases, so take the above as still using words like potential, about, approximately, etc. However, it does appear to be coming together nicely.

If this really implies no Ottawa Fury on board in addition to not having FCE, it's difficult to see how they can get anywhere near ten with a viable stadium solution by April 2019 and this current drive for publicity is probably more about attracting additional would be investors at the moment after Paul Beirne's softly softly approach failed to get them off the launch pad in 2018 terms.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It's not at all clear what the other $3.5 million gets spent on in that scenario. 

There’s coaching, travel, rent, marketing costs, front office, back office, ticketing, game day costs, insurance, office rent.  

In a TSN article I read that the Niagara IceDogs (let me find it) had a 2.9 million team budget not including player costs.  They don’t have a national travel budget so I’d say the size of the organization would be in that neighbourhood.  2.9 million operating, sales and admin costs is pretty leaning you break it down. 

11 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

There’s coaching, travel, rent, marketing costs, front office, back office, ticketing, game day costs, insurance, office rent.  

In a TSN article I read that the Niagara IceDogs (let me find it) had a 2.9 million team budget not including player costs...

My guess would be that in addition to the expenses you have mentioned arena related expenditures and game day operations are getting folded into that number rather than rental payments per opening to the stadium/arena owner, which would be how the game day cost would be handled if you are not the stadium operator/owner. On the revenue side of the equation that would mean total turnover on game day operations being factored in rather than the share of the profits on naming rights, concessions, parking etc, if that can be successfully negotiated with the stadium owner, which is no sure thing. Using that sort of approach generates larger more impressive looking numbers but would take things even further from what can sensibly be termed an "investment".

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

1 hour ago, CanSuffer said:

You have to email them so I'd say it's by invitation. Small groups is more detailed info but less statistically significant...

I get you trying to get those who get invite to push on the message to others and surprise them at meeting...

Anyways I am hoping to hear or read mainly read news of teams that will be part of CPL.... This is really coming together and it's a great thing. When I come to Canada to see some family will have to go to the games...

1 hour ago, Scorpion26 said:

I get you trying to get those who get invite to push on the message to others and surprise them at meeting...

Anyways I am hoping to hear or read mainly read news of teams that will be part of CPL.... This is really coming together and it's a great thing. When I come to Canada to see some family will have to go to the games...

No, not what I'm saying.  In fact, we should respect their process. I suppose, if we inquire and confirm that they really need one or two more subjects because they haven't met their target, then we could ask if they want us to suggest additional people. I suspect they will get enough interested persons in the "CPL Awareness" category :)

Of course, agree this is awesome to see it become more and more concrete

Edited by CanSuffer

10 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

My guess would be that in addition to the expenses you have mentioned arena related expenditures and game day operations are getting folded into that number rather than rental payments per opening to the stadium/arena owner, which would be how the game day cost would be handled if you are not the stadium operator/owner. On the revenue side of the equation that would mean total turnover on game day operations being factored in rather than the share of the profits on naming rights, concessions, parking etc, if that can be successfully negotiated with the stadium owner, which is no sure thing. Using that sort of approach generates larger more impressive looking numbers but would take things even further from what can sensibly be termed an "investment".

I think that’s exatly it.

Victoria, Kelowna, Surrey, Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg, Quebec City, Sherbrooke, Halifax, St Johns, Moncton

In ONT  --   Mississauga, Brampton, Ottawa, Vaughn, Kitch/Waterloo/Cambridge, Windsor, Hamilton, Burlington/Oakviile, Barrie, St Cath/Niagara, Oshawa/Pickering

In relation to population that would be a great 24 team league