David Wotherspoon

IceCreamMan

Herdman obviously has a lot of love and respect for him, so it wouldn't shock me if he brought him over to TFC in January.  He's no where near our National team level currently and if he was to come to Toronto I would be hoping it would be as a leadership role player.

Disclaimer: there is no evidence to suggest that he is planning on joining Herdman at TFC.  I just took the Inverness contract expiring in January and the fact him and Herdman are quite close and ran with it.

So now that he's left Unattached FC does he remain in the NT pool? I would like to see us move on but Biello hasn't moved on yet from several veterans - who's to say he doesn't call up Spoony next month? 

And if Herdman signs him to TFC it only makes it more tempting to call him, I suppose. 

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

So now that he's left Unattached FC does he remain in the NT pool? I would like to see us move on but Biello hasn't moved on yet from several veterans - who's to say he doesn't call up Spoony next month? 

And if Herdman signs him to TFC it only makes it more tempting to call him, I suppose. 

I feel it is a lot easier to move on from Wotherspoon than many of the others based solely on the fact the others have been much higher quality for Canada.  Even though, Wotherspoon was included in every qualification camp and Nations League and even the World Cup, I believe it's more of a testament to Herdman's relationship with him.  This is coming from me who is a big Spoony fan as well.  The reality is that he could have been dropped years ago for players of similar quality and I think Herdman knew it too.  He only had a handful of starts and even substitute appearances with Canada.  It seems more likely that he was playing at a high enough level to warrant a call and Herdman almost always included him as the 22nd/23rd man on the squad.  It also helped that he had a special run with St Johnstone during the heart of qualifying for Qatar.

Edited by Corazon

Still early in the season, but his new team is tied for last place in the league. I think that league relegates to the semi pro League One? 

I Hope that he’s staying fit for a nice CPL move in January. Was he the player who also got his coaching license recently? Maybe go work under Herdman or even Smyrniotis and then transition into coaching the season after next. 

also re: moving on from the vets: I think the vets who still play big minutes for us don’t have good replacements in the system yet whereas I think Spoony is more expendable. If he is ever with the national team again, I hope it’s as a coach.

Edited by InglewoodJack

I think it's easier to move on from Wotherspoon because he got his send off/reward for playing for Canada - he stepped on the pitch at the World Cup.  Honestly, if he ends up playing well at Inverness I don't have a problem with him being called back in to the squad if there's injuries to some veterans, but it's ok to move on from him as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jordan said:

Linked to Dundee United

Some more details here:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/inverness-caledonian-thistle/6310633/duncan-ferguson-caley-thistle-david-wotherspoon-transfer/

He is currently out with an injury but he should be fit again in under 2 weeks.