David Wotherspoon

IceCreamMan

41 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Assuming Kone and Wanyama are in fact out, I really hope Choiniere and Zouhir can increase their minutes in 2023.

I would like to see Choinière get more starts next season to help take his game to the next level.  I see that he had 15 starts in 34 regular season games last year so being more in the conversation as a first choice starter will help his NT prospects.

Learn somethin' new everyday

Spoony going to Qatar: St Johnstone star David Wotherspoon selected for Canada World Cup squad
Eric Nicolson thecourier.co.uk November 13 2022

St Johnstone star David Wotherspoon has been selected for the Canada World Cup squad.

Head coach John Herdman has named the three-time cup winner in his 26-man pool for the finals in Qatar.

Wotherspoon timed his comeback from injury perfectly.

After nearly a year out following knee surgery, the 32-year-old made his first team return in October.

Three substitute appearances were followed by a start in the recent win against Rangers, when Wotherspoon played a part in the build-up to James Brown’s opening goal.

Manager Callum Davidson has liaised with Herdman over the last couple of weeks to give the former Hibs man the best chance of securing a place and it was decided that he would be better off staying with Saints than joining up with the national team for two pre-tournament friendlies.

And now Wotherspoon’s task will be to get game-time in the tournament.

This is Canada’s first World Cup since 1986 and their group fixtures are against Belgium (November 23), Croatia (November 27) and Morocco (December 1).

Wotherspoon, who played for Scotland at under-21 level, qualifies for Canada through his mother.

He flew out to join up with his international team-mates ahead of the official squad announcement, having played an important part in Saints’ opening goal against Motherwell the day before.

He is the first Saints player to go to a World Cup since Jason Scotland in 2006.

It will also mean the Perth club receive a six-figure Fifa payout.

50 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Learn somethin' new everyday

Spoony going to Qatar: St Johnstone star David Wotherspoon selected for Canada World Cup squad
Eric Nicolson thecourier.co.uk November 13 2022

St Johnstone star David Wotherspoon has been selected for the Canada World Cup squad.

Head coach John Herdman has named the three-time cup winner in his 26-man pool for the finals in Qatar.

Wotherspoon timed his comeback from injury perfectly.

After nearly a year out following knee surgery, the 32-year-old made his first team return in October.

Three substitute appearances were followed by a start in the recent win against Rangers, when Wotherspoon played a part in the build-up to James Brown’s opening goal.

Manager Callum Davidson has liaised with Herdman over the last couple of weeks to give the former Hibs man the best chance of securing a place and it was decided that he would be better off staying with Saints than joining up with the national team for two pre-tournament friendlies.

And now Wotherspoon’s task will be to get game-time in the tournament.

This is Canada’s first World Cup since 1986 and their group fixtures are against Belgium (November 23), Croatia (November 27) and Morocco (December 1).

Wotherspoon, who played for Scotland at under-21 level, qualifies for Canada through his mother.

He flew out to join up with his international team-mates ahead of the official squad announcement, having played an important part in Saints’ opening goal against Motherwell the day before.

He is the first Saints player to go to a World Cup since Jason Scotland in 2006.

It will also mean the Perth club receive a six-figure Fifa payout.

fun fact: I was at all 3 T&T matches in the 2006 WC and actually ran into a few Scots who were rooting for T&T because of Jason Scotland lol.

This BBC Sport Scotland article has a nice shout out to Wotherspoon:

"Scottish football fans only need to look to the Premier League and other nations to see the system [VAR] is not perfect and it's something many will hope returns a bit more fine tuned by the time a David Wotherspoon-inspired Canada lift the World Cup in the sweltering Qatar sun."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63615188

• 2 weeks later...

I thought he did well in his short time on the pitch today, it was great to see so many Saints fans tweeting about his appearance with pride and who knew the Spoony Chop was a thing?

Here's a better vid which shows him pulling the "Spoony Chop" vs Hibs and how similar the move was, it's much easier vs Hibs of course!😀

Edited by gator

38 minutes ago, gator said:

I thought he did well in his short time on the pitch today, it was great to see so many Saints fans tweeting about his appearance with pride and who knew the Spoony Chop was a thing?

Here's a better vid which shows him pulling the "Spoony Chop" vs Hibs and how similar the move was, it's much easier vs Hibs of course!😀

I laughed so hard when he did this lol highlight of the tournament

Felt pleased for him coming back from the injury that he can say he played in the World Cup, since I doubt he will make the cut in his mid-30's in four years time. I thought it might have been partly a sentimental move to play him, but one which made some sense since it was another attacking move.

The flipside is that I feel bad for Piette who may be surpassed as a D-mid by the time he hits 32 in 4 years time and might never play in the WC (I expect Osorio is more likely to take over as the "veteran stabilizer" role Atiba had in 4 years time). Unfortunately for Sam we always needed a goal in the 2nd half of games so I can see why he never played to help us lock a game down as a destroyer in the midfield. Of all the players who didn't play in the tourney, he and Pantemis are the ones I would worry the most (for their sakes) that they might get another chance in 4 years time.

• 5 months later...

Just as a summary, St. Johnstone's coach, Callum Davidson was sacked in mid-April after too many bad results. He was replaced by Steven MacLean.

On 5/19/2023 at 7:17 AM, jordan said:

Hoping to be available Vs Kilmarnock, he picked up an ankle knock...

He did return from injury this past weekend. He played ~8 minutes at the end of that match.

5 hours ago, gator said:

Wotherspoon on the Saints bench

He played ~27 minutes today.

St. Johnstone are now safe from relegation but it's not clear if he will be back for another season. His contract is up.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/david-wotherspoon/profil/spieler/74861

1 hour ago, The Real Marc said:

When you play for a low-end SPL side, do you keep the proceeds of your testimonial or have to do it for charity like a big-time player?

Generally there is a mix but that is up to the player.  I would say someone playing at St Johnstone probably hasn’t earned a lot over their career.