2017 Gold Cup

PhillyCanuck

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Yohan said:

I'd like to see Tesho as a striker. He's not really a winger, though if OZ keeps 1 striker formation, Tesho goes into sub bench and probably play RW again.

Exactly. Tesho's proper position is a striker and I would like to see a formation with 2 strikers tested out

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this on Reddit http://www.concacaf.com/article/concacaf-qa-alex-bunbury-retired-canada?sf69567815=1

Alex Bunbury thinks we can make the knock out

For the 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup, Canada is in Group A with Honduras, Costa Rica and French Guiana. How do you rate its chances of progressing to the knockout stages?

I believe Canada has the talent to progress to the knockout stages, especially with the newly appointed head coach (Octavio Zambrano).  What I admire about this Canadian team is that they have a clear identity.  They know how they want to play and how to execute their plans.

1 hour ago, matty said:

Saw this on Reddit http://www.concacaf.com/article/concacaf-qa-alex-bunbury-retired-canada?sf69567815=1

Alex Bunbury thinks we can make the knock out

For the 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup, Canada is in Group A with Honduras, Costa Rica and French Guiana. How do you rate its chances of progressing to the knockout stages?

I believe Canada has the talent to progress to the knockout stages, especially with the newly appointed head coach (Octavio Zambrano).  What I admire about this Canadian team is that they have a clear identity.  They know how they want to play and how to execute their plans.

We don't have an excuse to not get out of that group since CR and HON won't be sending their best to this tournament because the Hex is still going on for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw the US is playing Ghana on July 1 as a Gold Cup warm up. Think Canada should book a warm up match for around the same time as a warm up? Be nice to a second home friendly prior to the Gold Cup for some last second tunes.

On March 9, 2017 at 10:02 PM, DannyFromToronto23 said:

my selections for 

GOLD CUP 2017 (23 MAN SQUAD)
GK Leutwiler 1
GK Borjan 18
GK Crepeau 22
DEF Dixon 12
DEF Henry 5
DEF Edgar 15
DEF Victoria 19 
DEF James 4
DEF De Jong 17
DEF Tissot 3
DEF Aird 2 
MID Osorio 6
MID Arfield 16
MID Atiba 13
MID Johnson 8 
MID Piette 14 
MID Hoilett 10 
MID Teibert 20 
ATT Ricketts 11 
ATT Larin 9 
ATT Davies 21
ATT Akindele 23 
ATT Jackson 7 

Might want to look at squeezing Edwards in there. He has been a revelation of late. 

my selections for 

GK Leutwiler 1
GK Borjan 18
GK Crepeau 22
DEF Dixon 12
DEF Henry 5
DEF Edgar 15
DEF Victoria 19 
DEF James 4
DEF De Jong 17
DEF Tissot 3
DEF Aird 2 
MID Osorio 6
MID Arfield 16
MID Atiba 13
MID Johnson 8 
MID Piette 14 
MID Hoilett 10 
MID Edwards 20 
ATT Ricketts 11 
ATT Larin 9 
ATT Davies 21
ATT Akindele 23 
ATT Jackson 7 

1 hour ago, dbailey62 said:

Might want to look at squeezing Edwards in there. He has been a revelation of late. 

Just now, DannyFromToronto23 said:

my selections for 

GK Leutwiler 1
GK Borjan 18
GK Crepeau 22
DEF Dixon 12
DEF Henry 5
DEF Edgar 15
DEF Victoria 19 
DEF James 4
DEF De Jong 17
DEF Tissot 3
DEF Aird 2 
MID Osorio 6
MID Arfield 16
MID Atiba 13
MID Johnson 8 
MID Piette 14 
MID Hoilett 10 
MID Edwards 20 
ATT Ricketts 11 
ATT Larin 9 
ATT Davies 21
ATT Akindele 23 
ATT Jackson 7 

Thx for reminding me about him 

I replaced teibert since he barely plays 

On 2017-05-06 at 0:58 AM, One American said:

FW: Larin, Hoilett, Tesho, Ricketts

MF: Arfield, Aird, Wotherspoon, Davies, Osorio, Teibert, Johnson, Bernier, Tabla 

D: Edgar, James, Edwards, Cordova, Stanese, Kapor, Sadiki

GK: Borjan, Thomas, Leutwiler

Like this line up. A few changes 

Add: Hutch, Edwards

Subract: Teibert, Stanese, or Edgar if injuried

Players 15-23 are notabily variable and could be switched

On 2017-5-13 at 8:07 PM, Ruffian said:

We have 4 hot strikers! Larin, AJH, Ricketts and Haber. It finally looks like we have real reasons not to call Cavallini and Occean. 

I think haber doesn't go. He's hot but i question if it's enough. I think oz is gonna want a youngerish team and at 28 haber might be on the outside. Ricketts will be mr. Super sub. I don't know if ajh starts over tesho or if tesho plays a different role on the squad (tesho might not be hot but he's proven).

Unless someone gets hurt I'm saying larin, tesho, ajh and ricketts.

Do you think we will get any shennanigans from the MLS clubs, or will they release everyone for the Cup?  MIght only miss 2 games if their team does not advance.  But VWC might lose a couple HON, and a couple CDN.  

TFC could lose 6, Altidore, Bradley, Cooper, Rickets, Osorio, Edwards.  

9 hours ago, One American said:

I get the feeling the USMNT isn't going to take this one super seriously. We have other fish to fry right now. 

I see the US calling an exclusively CONCACAF squad, giving the guys in Europe a chance to rest. 

That being said, an all-MLS squad with a smattering from Liga MX is still very competitive. 

GK - Howard

GK - Hamid

GK - Johnson

LB - Garza

LB - Villafana

CB - Biesler

CB - Hedges

CB - Zimmerman

CB - Gonzalez

RB - Zuzi

RB - Rosenberry

M - Bradley

M - Jones

M - McCarthy

M - Bedoya

M - Nagbe

M - Arriola

M - Acosta

M - Klestjan

F - Dempsey

F - Morris

F - Zardes

F - Wondolowski

13 hours ago, matty said:

I think haber doesn't go. He's hot but i question if it's enough. I think oz is gonna want a youngerish team and at 28 haber might be on the outside. Ricketts will be mr. Super sub. I don't know if ajh starts over tesho or if tesho plays a different role on the squad (tesho might not be hot but he's proven).

Unless someone gets hurt I'm saying larin, tesho, ajh and ricketts.

I get that sense too, but i'm still not willing to bet against him. I think missing the last friendly to illness was very unfortunate for him though. I wonder if Zambrano watched him train or if he even trained at all?

I can see Haber getting called and Tesho being listed as a midfielder. He's like Ricketts in that he's a role player with a specific talent. Because of this, I find it hard to imagine him being left off if he's fit.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

I can see Haber getting called and Tesho being listed as a midfielder. He's like Ricketts in that he's a role player with a specific talent. Because of this, I find it hard to imagine him being left off if he's fit.

This, and this only. Because of his good aerial presence. (I wouldn't be surprised if we see Cavalini over Haber too)

But to me the battle is between Haber and Ricketts, and right now Ricketts is the better partner to compliment Larin if we are chasing a goal per say. 

40 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

This, and this only. Because of his good aerial presence. (I wouldn't be surprised if we see Cavalini over Haber too)

But to me the battle is between Haber and Ricketts, and right now Ricketts is the better partner to compliment Larin if we are chasing a goal per say. 

You wouldn't be surprised if Cavalini is named to our GC squad?! I will be shocked if this happens. 

19 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

You wouldn't be surprised if Cavalini is named to our GC squad?! I will be shocked if this happens. 

Zambrano's approach to players appears to be completely different than Floro, and assuming he did go to Uruguay to speak to him, and has iterated that he want's to use younger guys...is why I wouldn't be surprised. 

He offers more and has a greater upside to the CMNT program then Haber. 

TBH with the amount of strikers we have scoring art the moment...I'll be surprised if Haber is included in the GC team.

24 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Zambrano's approach to players appears to be completely different than Floro, and assuming he did go to Uruguay to speak to him, and has iterated that he want's to use younger guys...is why I wouldn't be surprised. 

He offers more and has a greater upside to the CMNT program then Haber. 

TBH with the amount of strikers we have scoring art the moment...I'll be surprised if Haber is included in the GC team.

Excuse my ignorance, is this public knowledge?

Archived