2017 Gold Cup

PhillyCanuck

5 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Excuse my ignorance, is this public knowledge?

No ignorance at all....I swear I read that on here somewhere, from someone, or that he was pictured with Cavallini....something. 

Reason why I said "assuming".

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

No ignorance at all....I swear I read that on here somewhere, from someone, or that he was pictured with Cavallini....something. 

Reason why I said "assuming".

Well if true, I won't be as shocked! Glad OZ is trying to build bridges.

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Zambrano's approach to players appears to be completely different than Floro, and assuming he did go to Uruguay to speak to him, and has iterated that he want's to use younger guys...is why I wouldn't be surprised. 

He offers more and has a greater upside to the CMNT program then Haber. 

TBH with the amount of strikers we have scoring art the moment...I'll be surprised if Haber is included in the GC team.

Said no voyageur ever.

5 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

This, and this only. Because of his good aerial presence. (I wouldn't be surprised if we see Cavalini over Haber too)

But to me the battle is between Haber and Ricketts, and right now Ricketts is the better partner to compliment Larin if we are chasing a goal per say. 

The thing is, sometimes the game calls for a speedy attacker to stretch the field and get in behind (Ricketts), but sometimes the game calls for a target striker to get his head on crosses being launched into the box (Haber). 

The coaching staff have kept both options available in recent years. Let's see if Zambrano is any different.

25 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The thing is, sometimes the game calls for a speedy attacker to stretch the field and get in behind (Ricketts), but sometimes the game calls for a target striker to get his head on crosses being launched into the box (Haber). 

The coaching staff have kept both options available in recent years. Let's see if Zambrano is any different.

I 1000% agree. ...but what I'm saying is that if we have Larin, AJH, Cavallini, Akindele, Hoilett (if OZ sees him up top).....to me Ricketts (although hard to say) and Haber would be fighting for the final spot.

1 minute ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I 1000% agree. ...but what I'm saying is that if we have Larin, AJH, Cavallini, Akindele, Hoilett (if OZ sees him up top).....to me Ricketts (although hard to say) and Haber would be fighting for the final spot.

Yeah I do understand what you are saying there, but I can see a deserving player (thinking AJH) left out in order to accommodate both Haber and Ricketts. I am not advocating that, it's just what I expect based on past selections. I do hope Zambrano surprises me, but to be fair to Haber he's coming off his best season yet. 

The good news is that all of our strikers are in form for the first time in....well ever!

Maybe one off each team (except Montreal) for the USMNT: 

GK: Rimando, Johnson, Steffen

DF: Hairston, Opara, Spector, Birnbaum, Zimmermann/Hedges, Beasley, Morrow 

MF: Nguyen, Sacha, Dax, Cronin, Carleton, Wright, Nagbe, Shea

FW: Wondo, Zardes, Sapong, Sargent. Morris 

9 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I'd rather have Ricketts over Akindele due to current form. If Ricketts does not take advantage of Giovinco being out than I will favour the younger guy

46 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I'd rather have Ricketts over Akindele due to current form. If Ricketts does not take advantage of Giovinco being out than I will favour the younger guy

So your saying Haber over Akindele?

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

My only counter to this being used as an argument for Haber's inclusion is that Larin will already be in the squad and can play that target role.  He isn't 7 ft tall or anything, but he does seem to be able to get a fair number of knock downs for other players - at least in my limited viewing experience.  And insofar as that is true, I think the speed of Ricketts is an ideal compliment to Larin as power-poacher, and a far more useful tool in the toolbox, versus a slightly taller guy who may be able to get a bit higher for crosses.  Throw in the facts that Ricketts is playing great right now, that he has the most CMNT goals (by far) among active players, and that I seem to have a soft spot for him, and to me it is a no-brainer. 

Haber and Ricketts are both going to be called IMO.  I was never a big fan of Haber but from 2015 onwards (starting with that game against Guatemala where he scored and made a great run to win a penalty - which wasn't called) he has impressed, he plays his role out there and is our best hold up man.. which let's be honest we have consistently needed in our style of football.  He's actually got a soft touch for a big man and is at a different level than Larin when it comes to keeping possession with defenders on his back.  His last match against South Korea I thought he was fantastic.  

Guys like Ricketts, Akindele and Hoilett can all be classified as midfielders so I don't see any dilemma in calling Larin and Haber as our only two pure strikers.  

While AJH has been good I can't see him displacing a proven guy like Haber when he hasn't even been a starter and he doesn't give us a different look.. I'd start Akindele over him up top anyways if both were in the squad and that was the look we were going for.  

So your saying Haber over Akindele?

If we use Akindele in a wide midfielder role it wouldn't be Haber over him. It would be Aird or Davies

4 hours ago, canta15 said:

If we use Akindele in a wide midfielder role it wouldn't be Haber over him. It would be Aird or Davies

That's if, and Akindele has said and been recently deployed in a striker position. And IMO he's better there. (at club level atleast)

That's if, and Akindele has said and been recently deployed in a striker position. And IMO he's better there. (at club level atleast)

His only goal of the season came from him playing out wide and that was 3 games ago

13 minutes ago, canta15 said:

His only goal of the season came from him playing out wide and that was 3 games ago

Splitting hairs...but he wasn't technically in a wide position when he scored, as Dallas was chasing the game. But I get what your saying.

I just think, and the same thing for Hoilett is that they are not LM/RM, or RWB/LWB...but either a second striker or a true winger. They can be liabilities on the tracking back. 

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Any fresh info on Henry or Edgars health or Davies passport situation?  

I don't think Edgar is anywhere close. As far as I'm aware, he won't be playing at all this season.

With all the speculation, recruitment/engagement visits by OZ, issues of player eligibility, etc - do we know when the actual squad will be announced?  We are just over 1.5 months away from the tourney, but I know we still have the Curacao match on June 13th.  Would it normally be used to assess a few fringe players (and/or test the commitment of some undecideds via a call up), or is OZ more likely to use it as a really solid training session for a squad that will pretty much be the GC squad?

Unless I have missed some major pieces of info, I suspect any answers will be just speculation - but I am curious what folks are thinking about timelines?

Thanks.  I wasn't sure of the timelines  And as per the theme of most of my posts lately, I am impatient for some more (good) news.  CPL team confirmation, re-engaged players like Cav, promising new caps for guys like Davies and Tabla, etc.  The Gold Cup roster will be one of those milestones that either checks off some stuff on the list or it does not - but at least it is a known part of the equation.

Looking at that Gold Cup 2015 roster we will be vastly improved with additions of Arfield, Hoilett, Borjan, hopefully Hutchinson and an improved Larin along with the addition of other new/young players.

Edit: Also Johnson was not on that roster. Add him to the improvement.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

With all the speculation, recruitment/engagement visits by OZ, issues of player eligibility, etc - do we know when the actual squad will be announced?  We are just over 1.5 months away from the tourney, but I know we still have the Curacao match on June 13th.  Would it normally be used to assess a few fringe players (and/or test the commitment of some undecideds via a call up), or is OZ more likely to use it as a really solid training session for a squad that will pretty much be the GC squad?

Unless I have missed some major pieces of info, I suspect any answers will be just speculation - but I am curious what folks are thinking about timelines?

Tough to say because "normally" we have thought it was okay to go into a continental competition by not playing any friendlies.  

This will be OZ's first match in charge so I'm guessing he's gonna go with a mix of sure-thing call ups and some guys to test them out like Cordova for instance (who someone already hinted has been called).  

I'm thinking if Cordova is being called then why not Diego Gutierrez?  Born in Quebec and has actually been getting time in the Chilean first division, also 2 years younger.  

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

This post shows the roster was released June 23rd, 2015 and the first game was July 8th, 2015 for Gold Cup 2015. So I suspect we will not see the roster until a couple of weeks before the tournament starts.

All teams have to release a 35 player gold cup roster a month before the tournament starts i.e June 7. That gets trimmed down closer to the tournament start time. 

1 hour ago, Boominbooty said:

All teams have to release a 35 player gold cup roster a month before the tournament starts i.e June 7. That gets trimmed down closer to the tournament start time. 

Do we have to submit 35 players if we don't even have 35 pro players?

Joke of course, but man am I looking forward to the CPL era where hopefully this kind of a comment wouldn't even be joked about.

Archived