Samuel Piette

I agree with the premise that people tend to exaggerate the qualities/flaws of a player, and I do get the impression that sometimes people derive opinions based on looking up the name of a player's club, seeing what league that team plays in and at what tier, and seeing that team's position in the table. And of course with regards to the league, people often seem to rate them based on nothing. I know there are some really hardcore soccer nerds on this board, but I am usually pretty skeptical when someone says they think the middle table teams in the Serbian first tier is about on par with the top teams in the Swedish second tier without prefacing it with some statement that they actually follow those leagues.

That being said, some of the quotes that were dug up don't seem out of line with that premise.

I still stand by my only analysis in this thread.

On 23/09/2016 at 10:33 AM, Kent said:

Well done. I vote all future thread titles rhyme.

21 hours ago, Vince193 said:

Damn he got me good.

Actually I realize now that your comment probably did not deserve to be on that list, you were simply say it was time for him to step up. 

Though, given his age, he is actually close to a prospect. He is younger than a lot of guys just being drafted from NCAA.

With his strong performances in the Gold Cup (as well as against Scotland in my opinion), it seems Impact fans are lobbying the club to sign him. I really can't see that happening, nor do I think it is a good move for Piette, unless he plays regularly of course.

12 minutes ago, shermanator said:

With his strong performances in the Gold Cup (as well as against Scotland in my opinion), it seems Impact fans are lobbying the club to sign him. I really can't see that happening, nor do I think it is a good move for Piette, unless he plays regularly of course.

I think he'd be useful and get minutes for the Impact, but I prefer him to stay in the Spanish system. I think he's very close to joining the Segunda (A?) Division. In the long run, I think he is better off in the second highest tier of Spain than MLS.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I think he'd be useful and get minutes for the Impact, but I prefer him to stay in the Spanish system. I think he's very close to joining the Segunda (A?) Division. In the long run, I think he is better off in the second highest tier of Spain than MLS.

No arguments from me on this. Will be real interesting to see where he signs. I would be disappointed if he was back at Izarra for another year, although another year of close to 3000 minutes wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

3 hours ago, shermanator said:

No arguments from me on this. Will be real interesting to see where he signs. I would be disappointed if he was back at Izarra for another year, although another year of close to 3000 minutes wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

He 100% deserves to be on a better team, at least in 2B, maybe in 2A (I think he is discriminated for being Canadian), making more money with a real chance at promotion playoffs.

I'm worried about Izarra too, as they could easily have a poor year and if they are in relegation zone, his value will drop.

Maybe Garber can put some money where his mouth is and get Piette to Montreal using some of that MLS pay down money to get Canadian Nationals into the league.  Need to defer to others about 2A or 2B but for selfish reasons and the ease of him being seen by Zambrano and the staff.

23 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Maybe Garber can put some money where his mouth is and get Piette to Montreal using some of that MLS pay down money to get Canadian Nationals into the league.  Need to defer to others about 2A or 2B but for selfish reasons and the ease of him being seen by Zambrano and the staff.

I don't get it. Why is that Garbers job? If he is good enough to play in Montreal and Montreal wants him that is between the two parties. 

1 minute ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I don't get it. Why is that Garbers job? If he is good enough to play in Montreal and Montreal wants him that is between the two parties. 

Garber and MLS said they would put money towards bringing top Canadians to MLS.

Edited by Ruffian

8 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I mean...Atiba I get. But Piette? Bit of a stretch really.

Not really - Atiba is like 35 and has no name recognition outside hardcore team Canada fans. Piette is like early 20's and has no name recognition outside hardcore Canada fans. Atiba is a bit better player now - but that wont last long. Neither player would garner any special attention outside the Canadian clubs at this junction but Piette has more upside. Especially in Montreal.

Haven't scoured the roster to see who else would make sense after Hutch (who will end up in North America at the end one way or another), but is there anyone playing elsewhere that has that many caps and can grow in MLS as Piette?  Do we see Petrasso, Hoilett or Arfield coming to MLS? The Montreal connection alone makes this interesting for Piette.

36 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Not really - Atiba is like 35 and has no name recognition outside hardcore team Canada fans. Piette is like early 20's and has no name recognition outside hardcore Canada fans. Atiba is a bit better player now - but that wont last long. Neither player would garner any special attention outside the Canadian clubs at this junction but Piette has more upside. Especially in Montreal.

I agree with everything except the bolded. Atiba, right now, is not a bit better than Piette. He is miles better. He can do the defensive job Piette is doing but is also a useful player in possession and a much better passer. Not to say that will remain the case with a few more miles on Atiba and more development from Piette but right now it's not even close, as evidenced by the fact that Atiba is an important piece of a Champions League team in Turkey and Piette hasn't yet made it higher than the Spanish 3rd tier.

24 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I agree with everything except the bolded. Atiba, right now, is not a bit better than Piette. He is miles better. He can do the defensive job Piette is doing but is also a useful player in possession and a much better passer. Not to say that will remain the case with a few more miles on Atiba and more development from Piette but right now it's not even close, as evidenced by the fact that Atiba is an important piece of a Champions League team in Turkey and Piette hasn't yet made it higher than the Spanish 3rd tier.

He is Besiktas' star player. Not sure what grasshopper is saying. He obviously thinks down of him as he states he has no name recognition along with Piette. Even my friends who don't care for Canadian soccer know Atiba is our best player

10 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Fair enough - I definitely concede that point. I misstated the gap - Besiktas is a world class club. Maybe can we find middleground and say Kilometers better??   :D 

4 minutes ago, canta15 said:

He is Besiktas' star player. Not sure what grasshopper is saying. He obviously thinks down of him as he states he has no name recognition along with Piette. Even my friends who don't care for Canadian soccer know Atiba is our best player

I guess to be blunt I don't think either player would sell a dozen tickets on their name on an American MLS club.

All I am saying not many people in Canada who go to MLS games dont follow the Canadian Mens National team. For instance the Impact get like 20,000 a game at the last National game I think they said 5000 were there. 100,000 watched TFC vs Impact Hutchinson would not effect attendance in either market really. Sure he is playing in European football but would be make a masive impace on TFC - I dont think.   

15 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I guess to be blunt I don't think either player would sell a dozen tickets on their name on an American MLS club.

All I am saying not many people in Canada who go to MLS games dont follow the Canadian Mens National team. For instance the Impact get like 20,000 a game at the last National game I think they said 5000 were there. 100,000 watched TFC vs Impact Hutchinson would not effect attendance in either market really. Sure he is playing in European football but would be make a masive impace on TFC - I dont think.   

You could say the same about premium USNT players. Take a team with poor attendance, or mediocre, say Red Bulls. They sign Bradley. How many New York footie fans decide to buy season tix because of him?

What has Tim Howard's direct impact on ticket sales been since he came back?

I doubt it would impact more than 600-800, hardly a thousand. How many Seattle fans would be discouraged if they traded Dempsey? I am talking about their higher profile guys. We are talking about hundreds to a thousand, maybe. 

It is not at all comparable to having Kaká in Orlando, or Drogba in Mtl, even in N America you have to have a major international star to really affect sales.

21 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I think TFC are currently showing the benefit of not making recruitment decisions on the basis of name recognition.  The same people who don't know who Hutch is would have never heard of Giovinco before he was signed, probably wouldn't have known Bradley, and may have recognized Altidore as that guy who was pretty mediocre in the EPL.  But they are all key players in a successful team, and the results they are consistently contributing to are generating a lot of excitement.  To the point where people aren't going because they are recognized names - they are recognized names because a ton of people are excited and paying attention due to the success.  Hutch could be that kind of guy - not a Lampard that a few people want to see because they cheered for Chelsea, but part of a successful team that plays better and more interesting footy in MLS.

"The Lung of the Canadian National Team, Happy in Spain"

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/20170715/424121676444/samuel-piette-el-pulmon-de-la-seleccion-canadiense-feliz-en-espana.html

With articles in major sports dailies, and the Gold Cup shown live in Spain through BeIN, you would think some team in 2nd would wake up to him. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:57 PM, jonovision said:

Plus, he's much superior at dribbling/turning out of trouble when under pressure.  That's huge part of his play in that deeper lying linking role.  He doesn't have to dish it off to a lesser back line player as often as other players trying to do the same job.

On 7/13/2017 at 11:05 PM, Floortom said:

I mean...Atiba I get. But Piette? Bit of a stretch really.

I won't get into the Atiba vs Piette debate because at this point it isn't even close.  But the reality is that Piette is likely to be our CDM for the next decade.  The idea of "top Canadian talent" has to be taken in the Canadian context - and a guy pretty much locking down a nat team starting spot at the age of 22 has gotta put him in the conversation.  That doesn't mean Garber should throw DP money at him or anything (which is what it would take to get Atiba), but it would be a good  move from an MLS perspective to secure solid Canadian talent to play on Canadian teams - especially with Piette's age. 

None of this implies that it would necessarily be the right move for Piette.  If he can manage to get into the Spanish second tier, he would presumably make more money, have better exposure, and probably have better coaching, than if he signed as a non-flashy MLS player in Montreal.  But from the league's perspective, this is exactly the kind of signing that would help generally raise the level of play over the long term, as well as help consolidate support in this country at a time when CPL a tempting alternative.

Exactly - when I made the comment about Garber giving money to Piette it wasn't a comparison to Atiba who is by far the superior player right now.  But if Garber is serious about helping the Canadian Men's team MLS should be grabbing all players who are not in the big 6 leagues and bringing them in.  If we had a full squad getting starters minutes in MLS it would immediately improve our chances of WC qualifying.  Having a majority of the squad would also make it easier to get together for training.

ESPN just named Piette to their tournament's best 11, along with Davies. Nice to see him having a great tournament playing in a position that suits him.

http://www.espnfc.com/concacaf-gold-cup/59/blog/post/3159409/canadian-teenage-sensation-alphonso-davies-leads-gold-cup-best-xi

Sam Piette, MF, Canada -- Piette, a defensive midfielder, was given the task of protecting Canada's back line and did so with aplomb. Of note were his performances against Costa Rica and Honduras, as he constantly broke up play as the Ticos tried to move forward, while against Honduras he dealt ably with the Catrachos' attacking duo of Alberth Elis and Romell Quioto.

Im a Piette apologist, but come on, Atiba is miles ahead of him, he is a way better player, they are not even comparable. 

What I defend is that Piette has strong qualities for a guy playing on such a modest level. And he is, apparently, on the rise. But compared with Atiba, IMO Hutch beats him everywhere it really counts, and if in our midfield our standard would leap incredibly. Not replacing Arfield, but replacing anyone else, whoever, in the middle. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Im a Piette apologist, but come on, Atiba is miles ahead of him, he is a way better player, they are not even comparable. 

What I defend is that Piette has strong qualities for a guy playing on such a modest level. And he is, apparently, on the rise. But compared with Atiba, IMO Hutch beats him everywhere it really counts

Oh yes! Definitely agree man 

Any word on his potential move to the impact?