Samuel Piette

http://www.rds.ca/soccer/soccer-samuel-piette-pret-a-ecouter-l-impact-1.4581380

Translation of the article:

"Samuel Piette does not hide, he would not say no to a Montreal Impact jersey.

Now that his time at the Gold Cup on the Canadian team is over, the defensive midfielder from Quebec is preparing to return to Montreal.

It is not, however, to take possession of a locker in the locker room of the Saputo Stadium.

"I returned to Montreal for a few days before returning to Spain. That was what was planned, "he said in an interview on RDS on Thursday before offering himself a few well-deserved rest days.

The 22-year-old has just completed the final season with Deportivo Izzara, a Spanish third-division club that has required his services in 32 games.

Piette has already expressed her desire to climb in a more competitive division in Europe, or to return to North America after seven years of exile.

"I was not in touch with my agent. I have not even been in contact with my club in fact. I really wanted to focus on the Gold Cup, "said Piette after Canada's defeat to Jamaica in the quarter-finals.

"Sure tonight or tomorrow I'll let go of a call to my agent to see if any clubs have approached him and see if the Impact has made an approach. "

If the Montreal club is interested in its services, Piette will certainly listen.

"If the Impact comes to see us with something interesting, I'm sure it would please me. Just playing in the Gold Cup with players playing in MLS, at a level similar to that of the MLS and in some of the MLS facilities, Piette said." 

My reaction: Confusing mixed signals.....

2 minutes ago, Ngravs said:

985sports.ca stated that Piette got offers from 2nd div Spanish league teams as well as Belgium and of course the impact, his club is ID Izzar are okay with him getting transferred, decision to be made in the next few days. http://www.985sports.ca/soccer/nouvelles/offres-contractuelles-pour-piette-l-impact-toujour-848135.html

I'd try Belgium or D2 Spain. Plenty of time to come home. D2 Spain is risky - he needs to get playing time; if he gets it though, he's golden.

Still only 22...I'd continue to try to make a go at it in Europe. I mean he's sort of cemented himself in the MNT picture so I think he'll continue to be on the radar for clubs in the foreseeable future.

Also by the way this is a glaring example of the benefits of playing at the international tournament level even for a low ranked nation like Canada...exposure to an audience that transcends the club you're playing at.

Edited by mpg_29

If Piette has offers in the Segunda Liga and Belgium, where he could continue to get regular minutes, then I would be disappointed if he were to sign for the Impact. The most important thing for Piette right now is that he goes where he can play; he cannot continue to develop if he doesn't see the pitch.

Hopefully the strong performance at the Gold Cup, and the move up to a higher level gets supporters off his ass now.

Edited by shermanator

Is it possible he could be offered more in MLS than 2nd division Spain? Seems like there is a drop off in pay after 1st division anywhere that's not England or Germany...

Most of the "established" Canadian MLS players seem to make $160,000-$180,000 USD range....that could be competitive against Segunda...maybe not even a whole lot less than Belgian 1st div...

Edited by mpg_29

24 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Is it possible he could be offered more in MLS than 2nd division Spain? Seems like there is a drop off in pay after 1st division anywhere that's not England or Germany...

Most of the "established" Canadian MLS players seem to make $160,000-$180,000 USD range....that could be competitive against Segunda...maybe not even a whole lot less than Belgian 1st div...

I don't know but knowing his current team, I doubt he is making more than 30,000 euros a year right now, or maybe a touch more, say 50,000 CDN. He did have his home paid for, shared with other Izarra players.

In Spain the minimum salary for 2nd division would be just under 80,000 euros, not sure if they have altered it but two years ago it was 77,500, that would be like 115,00 CDN. Now the question would be if they would sign him for over the minimum, or what the incentives would be. Below a probable MLS salary, but maybe not by a lot.

I have been scanning webs that list teams, new signings, and those they are interested in, and do not see Sam's name coming up. But really would have to scour team by team and those frigging fan forums...

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I'm going to guess Eupen - Spanish coach named Jordi Condom Aulí. I assume Señor Condom is all about protection. :lol:

We know Piette can deliver a good tackle and stop an attack. ;)

Likes the type  who can wrap around a player and smother him. Keeps the emotion inside. Not the best feeling and can take away some enjoyment (of watching?), but sometimes that's needed when going into battle... Sam's the man for Señor Condom.

12 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I'm going to guess Eupen - Spanish coach named Jordi Condom Aulí. I assume Señor Condom is all about protection. :lol:

We know Piette can deliver a good tackle and stop an attack. ;)

6 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Likes the type  who can wrap around a player and smother him. Keeps the emotion inside. Not the best feeling and can take away some enjoyment (of watching?), but sometimes that's needed when going into battle... Sam's the man for Señor Condom.

You two owe me a new keyboard this morning! :lol: