Roster for September WCQ - News / Discussion

shermanator

Last WCQ to San Pedro Sula I didn't know how much of a chance we had but I still had hope.

This time? I'm baffled confused and a case of wtf.

I still hope for a result but I won't be crushed like I was 4 yrs ago if canada fails again .

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

And on that note, so much for my earlier tranquility. Ever since the Larsen tweet about Johnson not being in the squad, I've had a sick feeling in my stomach and it hasn't left. Cripes.

Yeah, I've got the same feeling.  Not that to me Will J makes or breaks the team - I love his play but would not be gutted if he were left off for defensible reasons.  I am just baffled.  And now instead of the tingly hope sensation I had, I have a darker feel for the Honduras game.

I just hope that the players can service Larin.  He's been wasted the last bunch of games, and seeing him in Orlando last week has reminded me of why we got excited about him in the first place.

2 minutes ago, paul-collins said:

Yeah, I've got the same feeling.  Not that to me Will J makes or breaks the team - I love his play but would not be gutted if he were left off for defensible reasons.  I am just baffled.  And now instead of the tingly hope sensation I had, I have a darker feel for the Honduras game.

I just hope that the players can service Larin.  He's been wasted the last bunch of games, and seeing him in Orlando last week has reminded me of why we got excited about him in the first place.

Totally agree. 

With Larin it seems to be either solid crosses from the wing or play through the middle and ball to feet at the top of the 18 as he peels away from the CBs. With CanMNT he seems to get little of either. But he feasts on that kind of service. 

18 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

I think we are seeing reinforcement of the idea that Floro has his favourites (clearly DeGuz is one ... flying him down to be a mentoring presence in the camp and during the games ... that's a new one as far as I recall) that will be called no matter what, those that may or may not be called, and those who will never be called.

Maybe Floro and the CSA see DeGuz as a future coach for Canada so this could also be a learning experience for him as well.

Also, it doesn't hurt that he is one of probably a few players that speaks and understands Spanish. Mentor for the younger guys and a translator all in one.

I wonder if we will have some friendlies in October should we qualify. I'd like to see us throw something together last minute, even if it's a mostly B squad of B MLSers and NASL players who are on the periphery of the squad.

I'd call Chapman, Hamilton, Babouli, Roberts. I'd give Osorio another look to see where he's at. I'd definitely bring back Bekker, who looks tougher, and I'd reintroduce Teibert. Tabla and Davies I'd bring in to cap (even if it won't tie them, it introduces them to the program) and Tissot and Dixon would be brought in. Arid, Ledgerwood, Johnson, Ricketts, de Guzman, Edgar, de Jong, Ouimette, Larin, Akindele...and that kid in the SKC set up who played in CCL the other night...the CB. Top it of with Crepeau and maybe Opare from DC if he's eligible and boom you have a domestic mix of regulars and reserves who can get some action together before November. Should be easier to assemble than flying guys from across the pond.

21 hours ago, farrelld said:

Maybe Floro and the CSA see DeGuz as a future coach for Canada so this could also be a learning experience for him as well.

Also, it doesn't hurt that he is one of probably a few players that speaks and understands Spanish. Mentor for the younger guys and a translator all in one.

That's a big factor in communicating with the current boss.  However, I'm not convinced of the leadership qualities which some people play up here.  But who knows, maybe he's got what it takes.  Like Stalteri's doing with the u17s, he can also start in a similar situation and build from there or get on the coaching staff at MLS/NASL level or even back in Germany (closer to his kids?) or Spain (I'm sure Floro could call in a chit to set him up with a gig there).      

Let me start off by saying that I am not the biggest Floro fan, but lets at least wait and see what happens in these next two games.  I don't see the point of attacking him while we still have a decent chance of qualifying.  Sure if it doesn't go well and we get hammered again in Honduras, then he has what is coming to him, but if he is successful and gets us to the hex people will be singing his praises again.  If he gets us to the world cup, voyageurs across the land will probably erect statues in his honour.  I know some people just like to complain and are all doom and gloom, or maybe I'm just too optimistic, but I will support Floro and the players that he picks. 

Not trying to fan anything but even Jeff Blair doesn't understand the Johnson omission.  I don't understand it but he knows a lot more than me lol.  Hopefully goes well

"Remarkable, isn’t it, that Canadian men’s soccer coach Benito Floro can take a couple of players who are "unattached" (Marcus Haber and Junior Hoilett) while leaving off the likes of Toronto FC’s Will Johnson and Jonathan Osorio, second only to Cyle Larin of Orlando in minutes played by a Canadian player in Major League Soccer this season. OK – Hoilett I can see. But no place for the other two on a team that routinely comes up short while finding a spot for Jamar Dixon? Really? I mean, I guess you can never have too many Ottawa Fury players on your team. Still, who knew Floro could be that picky?"

Who can understand it?

He's excluded our second best midfielder, a guy who probably has the best work rate of anyone in our midfield (can still remember him running the entire length of the pitch in the 89th minute in Cuba to stop a counter attack) because he had his feelings hurt that he skipped out on a couple meaningless friendlies in June?

And while we're at it I've been on board the no Osorio train too, but not taking him as the 23rd player when there is a rather large chance you'll need to open up a bit to try to score a goal late in Honduras (or multiple goals in Vancouver)?  

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/08/29/much-stake-canada-boss-benito-floro-looming-world-cup-qualifiers

Some interesting comments here from Floro on the squad particularly on Johnson and Osorio, although nothing on Teibert or the specific reasoning for the Dixon pick.

The MLS site also has a list of MLS call-ups per country for these qualifiers. The US is unsurprisingly leading the way with 12 call-ups. In second place is Jamaica with 9. Canada, despite this actually being our highest level of play and you know, having 3 teams in the league, is tied for 3rd with T&T with 6 players and given that one of our 6 players hasn't actually played a minute in the league (other than the homegrown game), I'd give T&T the tiebreaker here. Which puts us in 4th place, despite having three more teams in the league than either Jamaica or T&T do.

This could be put down to our country not producing enough talent to reach the highest level, but given how many MLS players weren't called (I'm sure we're leading the way against all teams in Concacaf not called "USA" in that regard), I'm more inclined to put it down to bizarre player selections. Hopefully it works - it certainly removes the benefit of the doubt with Floro's future for me if we do not move on to the Hex. It's one thing to not move on despite playing your best players but its another not to advance without playing your best players.

2 hours ago, theaub said:

JDG definitely knows all the best post-game clubs in Honduras

Floro said de Guzman is a key communicator within the squad, and that his ability to provide “social cohesion” will hopefully put the players in the right mindset to have success.

That's from squizz's MLS article, not my words.

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

Floro said de Guzman is a key communicator within the squad, and that his ability to provide “social cohesion” will hopefully put the players in the right mindset to have success.

That's from squizz's MLS article, not my words.

To help put the players "in the right mindset" for the game, JDG will give an interview on matchday about his brother joining the team for the Hex!

1 hour ago, KMB said:

Let me start off by saying that I am not the biggest Floro fan, but lets at least wait and see what happens in these next two games.  I don't see the point of attacking him while we still have a decent chance of qualifying.  Sure if it doesn't go well and we get hammered again in Honduras, then he has what is coming to him, but if he is successful and gets us to the hex people will be singing his praises again.  If he gets us to the world cup, voyageurs across the land will probably erect statues in his honour.  I know some people just like to complain and are all doom and gloom, or maybe I'm just too optimistic, but I will support Floro and the players that he picks. 

I tend to disagree with the parts bolded.  We now have a deep talent pool (compared to many cycles) yet our defensive performances have frequently been unremarkable, our offense is struggling in a big way, and we have already thrown away a game that would have given us pretty much a lock to advance to the hex.  If we get to the hex, or [swoon] the World Cup, I suspect a fair number of people will think it was despite Floro, not because of him.

So that I don't incur the wrath of the footy gods, I have refrained from posting a new thread, but a part of me wonders of Floro is the guy we would want at the WC even if we do manage to qualify.  A good coach will take the players at his disposal and implement a system that plays to the strengths available.  And while I admit that I am more a fan of the game than a student of it when it comes to formations and tactics, I have seen little that would indicate he has put a unique stamp on the CMNT system.  To me, an almost singular focus on team defense is not something that warrants any special mention.  We have always been goal-challenged.  It has historically been our biggest shortcoming.  Yet even with a striker who is pretty good on the CONCACAF bell curve, and some increasingly good assist-providers, we still haven't solved that particular riddle.

Maybe I am just too cynical since I have seen this movie before, but the idea that we will all heap praise on Floro if the players manage to pull out a couple of results seems a bit off the mark.

Well, Osorio is now playing an attacking midfield with TFC. Everyone points out minutes played by Osorio but it isn't quality - no goals this year, only 3 shots on goal and only 3 assists in a league that easily doles out 2 assists. 

Plus, we have Atiba, Hoillett & Arfield as attacking mid options. If Osorio was good defensively, he could have made the team as a defensive mid.

Anyway, if Canada makes to the HEX for the first time since 98, some credit has to go Floro. Based on all the flack he gets on this forum for his style and player selections, he is putting his stamp that many don't like. 

From my point of view, he has got the team playing a organized system that we used to play in the 80s and some of the 90s but went away from it in the past 15 years. Given Canada's depth of talent and lack of offensive power, this is half the battle in getting to the HEX. He has also brought some level of credibility that has convinced fence sitters & prodigal sons to come onboard (see above for lack of depth on the team). He acts like the boss and doesn't let the players run the show as has happened under previous regimes to the detriment of the national team.

By the way, Will Johnson did show in June but left claiming an injury but then played soon after in Voyageurs Cup - not the first time Will has done this to the national team.

Archived