Roster for September WCQ - News / Discussion

shermanator

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, xcalibre said:

As much as I hate to say it, this team will get slaughtered in Honduras. Floro is going for a 0-0 away and a 1-0 at home on a Ricketts break and it's not going to be pretty

That's a little harsh. We have a front four of potentially Arfield, Hoilett, Larin and Ricketts. I would have given my left nut for that just 2 years ago.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

* I could also see Larin on the bench, Ricketts at CF and Akindele on the wing. That would be the same line up that beat Uzbekistan I believe. Larin sat on the bench in that game and also against Azerbaijan in favour of Ricketts. I don't recall any report of a Larin injury, so that was a tactical move. Ricketts has a strong work ethic and has looked good for TFC. 

Can anyone else see that happening?

I don't.  Larin's starting, Ricketts is one of the one side, Hoillet on the left, Arfield, Hutchinson, and Piette in the midfield.  Bada bing, bada boom!

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Predicted starting XI:

------------------Borjan------------------

Henry---Jakovic---Vitoria---De Jong

---------------Hutchinson-----------------
Ricketts--Arfield---Edgar---Hoilett

-----------------*Larin----------------------

* I could also see Larin on the bench, Ricketts at CF and Akindele on the wing. That would be the same line up that beat Uzbekistan I believe. Larin sat on the bench in that game and also against Azerbaijan in favour of Ricketts. I don't recall any report of a Larin injury, so that was a tactical move. Ricketts has a strong work ethic and has looked good for TFC. 

He's been used as a quick outlet that forces the opposition's defence to mark less tightly, making space for the other forward, and to catch the opposition asleep. He's great at it, but I think it only works when he is paired with another forward (Larin-Ricketts might look fairly similar to Altidore-Ricketts). Maybe in a must-win against El Salvador?

30 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Not a bad word about Ricketts in this thread. I wonder what changed....

My opinion of Ricketts really haven't changed much. He certainly earned a call up based on his form with TFC and how Canada generally lacks attackers in form.

But Ricketts has been used properly by TFC, being the striker playing off the back of last defender using his pace to get behind opposition. We all know Floro is going to use Ricketts as a winger and that's not very effective, esp with Floro's bunker to death tactics.

Just now, Complete Homer said:

He's been used as a quick outlet that forces the opposition's defence to mark less tightly, making space for the other forward, and to catch the opposition asleep. He's great at it, but I think it only works when he is paired with another forward (Larin-Ricketts might look fairly similar to Altidore-Ricketts). Maybe in a must-win against El Salvador?

I'd love to see a Larin-Ricketts pairing in a 2 striker formation, because that gets best use out of Ricketts and adding more scoring threat. But 2 striker formation stretches Floro's imagination too much and he might have a brain hemorrhage.

1 minute ago, Yohan said:

I'd love to see a Larin-Ricketts pairing in a 2 striker formation, because that gets best use out of Ricketts and adding more scoring threat. But 2 striker formation stretches Floro's imagination too much and he might have a brain hemorrhage.

I agree, but a must-win against El Salvador scenario? I can see a man doing crazy things to save his job

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Predicted starting XI:

Switch up Edgar and Hutch and I think you're bang on

1 minute ago, Oranje said:

Switch up Edgar and Hutch and I think you're bang on

Why do you think Floro will play Edgar at DM instead of Hutchinson? Last friendlies he was paired with Arfield as a CM wasn't he? I'd like to see Atiba further forward, but he has been fantastic at DM for us and Beskitas too.

5 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

According to this Eurosport article from yesterday, Doneil Henry is still out injured for West Ham:

http://www.eurosport.com/football/premier-league/2016-2017/slaven-bilic-confirms-west-ham-are-interested-in-manchester-city-s-wilfried-bony_sto5754320/story.shtml

So what the hell is going on?

being injured in the premier league means your more fit than returning from injury in MLS 

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Why do you think Floro will play Edgar at DM instead of Hutchinson? Last friendlies he was paired with Arfield as a CM wasn't he? I'd like to see Atiba further forward, but he has been fantastic at DM for us and Beskitas too.

Mainly because I can't see Edgar that far up the pitch so Hutch would slide forward and Edgar would sit in front of the back line. This is all assuming that Floro actually plays Edgar tho...

25 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Predicted starting XI:

Larin had a stomach virus for those two friendlies. That's why didn't he play.

10 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Our CB pool is probably the weakest it has even been. Jakovic has played two club games since August 2015.

Yes, and James has barely played for his club. Vitoria just signed and hasn't played for a club in a year. It's ugly

Archived