Roster for September WCQ - News / Discussion

shermanator

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, jonovision said:

That is unfair to Ledgerwood who has been among the best players on the winning-est team in the league. 

Then why would you not be saying the same thing about some of the players that have that have been amongst the best players on one of the winning-est team in MLS. 

If suspends their club biases, or anti club bias, there is no justification in arguing for the exclusion of Osorio or Johnson from this squad.  

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Then why would you not be saying the same thing about some of the players that have that have been amongst the best players on one of the winning-est team in MLS. 

If one takes take off their club biases, or anti club bias, there is no justification for excluding Osorio or Johnson from this squad. 

I'd prefer Chapman over Osorio

3 minutes ago, Free kick said:

If one takes take off their club biases, or anti club bias, there is no justification for excluding Osorio or Johnson from this squad. 

Osorio has been argued to death. I don't think he plays a role that Floro wants on this team even though IMO he should be in the squad. With Johnson there is obviously something that has not been reported, probably regarding injury or fitness, because Floro has clearly rated him in the past. I will reserve judgment until we get answers to those questions.

I just didn't think that swipe at NASL players was fair.

I'm not sold on Osorio for the team, but only because I don't rate Floro's style.  I think Osorio does well enough in the diamond in TFC.  but I'm with canta15 on this - this year has been Chapman's coming-out, and he deserves a serious look over this Fury newcomer.

And unless Johnson is not physically ready, leaving him off this time is bullshit.  Last time for the Gold Cup it was decided to let him heal, knowing that he'd be aiming to be back for WCQ.

The way that Kurt Larson tweeted out the news feels like he heard it from inside the TFC locker room, and that whoever told him was surprised also.

30 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I just didn't think that swipe at NASL players was fair.

Why Not? Do the americans call up any NASL players to their squad? Does the mexican national team call up domestic D2 players? 

I was fine with that in the days when there was no clubs in MLS.  Sandro Grande played very very well as an NASL player (it was called USL at that time) and played very well on the NT.   But there was no MLS player who was overlooked as a result.  

Floro lost me when he refused to play Edgar last series of matches. Now he leaves Will Johnson off the team -- unless there's a good reason we're not aware of then this is absurd.

I'm hoping for the best but if the road ends here, there will be no tears for Floro when he's canned. 

1 minute ago, Supersonic78 said:

Floro lost me when he refused to play Edgar last series of matches. Now he leaves Will Johnson off the team -- unless there's a good reason we're not aware of then this is absurd.

I'm hoping for the best but if the road ends here, there will be no tears for Floro when he's canned. 

Edgar has been in poor form, Floro caught on. 

Johnson may not have wanted to exacerbate his injury, who knows. 

In some cases NASL players are being called because we don't have many MLS options at those positions (there is Aird at right back for Vancouver and Morgan at left back for Toronto - but I can see why he might pick the more experienced and defensive minded & experienced Ledgerwood over the former and the more versatile Ouimette (who can also play CB and RB) over Morgan, who hasn't exactly racked up the minutes for TFC this season.

The Dixon pick is the one that is tough to fathom. Again, I don't want to pick on the guy either and I hope he does well if he's called upon, but he was picked over a whole of MLS-level midfielders. I'd include the aforementioned Aird in this category too, since he could play right wing and maybe launch a few balls onto Larin's head if we are desperate for goals late with Aird coming off the bench.

I fully expect that Henry will be swapped out of the squad before the squad assembles, so it will be interesting to see who is picked to replace him. Someone in midfield who can create chances would be nice (because the squad is not balanced properly - too defensive with too many CB's) - this current line up is very dependent upon three players in midfield to create offense from the middle of the park - Hoillett, Atiba and Arfield. They are all starters, so if we need an offensive midfield spark off the bench (or if one of them gets hurt/suspended for the second game), is that what Dixon can provide?

9 of 23 are not playing at club level. Of the 14 others, 1 is a USL GK and 1 an average NASL MF.

The country's 2nd best DM, who is far ahead of the next candidates, plays at club level and should be a sure starter, is not called.

2 GK's who are starters in their club not called.

Out of all CB's called, only 2 are playing in their club, instead of calling some of Roberts,Trafford or Beckie who are starting at CB.

A CB who has not played a competitive club match in 9 months called to play at RB while according to his club he is injured. Preferred to Aird who has 12 MLS starts at RB this season.

He has no idea what he's doing.

There are tons of Canadian coaches who would pick a better squad and give us a better chance of making it. 

The only things still giving us a reasonable chance is the slight possibility of not starting players at the back who haven't played in months and the mediocre looking squads of the opponents.

I have been a supporter of Floro because his system was relatively effective for us and I figured it may be good enough to get us to the Hex, we will find out real soon! The squad choices can be perplexing for reasons discussed in depth on here, in some cases such as Johnson's there must be more to it than Floro not rating him, I am sure the Osorio situation is fallout from the Gold Cup sub no matter what either party is saying! If we fail, which I'm starting to believe we will the CSA has got to get the next hire right as we have many promising youngsters coming up through the ranks for next cycle!

Conte made some questionable decisions when forming his Italian squad and his team only lost in the quarters of the Euros to Germany in penalty kicks. I say we see what Floro does with the team he assembles before raising our pitchforks.

21 minutes ago, gator said:

I am sure the Osorio situation is fallout from the Gold Cup sub no matter what either party is saying! 

I have at times doubted whether there was any truth at all to the GC substitution issue with Osorio.  I have never been able to find video of the substitution.  However, I did find a Sportsnet game report where in the comments section, a fan who said he was sitting by the Canada bench, wrote that Osorio, while he was walking off the pitch, loudly asked Floro twice "why are you taking me out?". This was posted before Osorio was not picked for Belize.

I've also seen Osorio react "passionately" to being subbed off with TFC.

I am not saying there aren't issues with the roster - a lack of CMs being big - but how many players could be brought on to improve the squad without changing the formation or defensive mentality? Osorio? Not really. Johnson? We don't even know if he's fit. Aird? Just came back from extended leave and might not be fit. 

I think people are more frustrated by the formation and mentality than the roster choice, because I think this roster is pretty geared towards our bus parking that we've been prepping for the last two years. That said, you don't change your tactics right before the last 2 matches before the hex, especially when parking the bus for two games is exactly what you need to get through 

Once this cycle is over we can move on from Floro and build a new identity. Until then, I think this roster is OK (as long as no CMs get hurt) 

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

The Dixon pick is the one that is tough to fathom. Again, I don't want to pick on the guy either and I hope he does well if he's called upon, but he was picked over a whole of MLS-level midfielders. I'd include the aforementioned Aird in this category too, since he could play right wing and maybe launch a few balls onto Larin's head if we are desperate for goals late with Aird coming off the bench.

I get the sense the Dixon pick was purely a political one, made so the CSA could boast about having a player from all five professional teams.

48 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I have at times doubted whether there was any truth at all to the GC substitution issue with Osorio.  I have never been able to find video of the substitution.  However, I did find a Sportsnet game report where in the comments section, a fan who said he was sitting by the Canada bench, wrote that Osorio, while he was walking off the pitch, loudly asked Floro twice "why are you taking me out?". This was posted before Osorio was not picked for Belize.

I've also seen Osorio react "passionately" to being subbed off with TFC.

And yet Vanney or any other coach didnt release him for reacting passionately to being subbed out.  Players dont like to get subbed out in the majority of cases.   I cant believe a coach with a background at Real Madrid would be unaccustomed to that.  Real Madrid has historically had the biggest stars in the game and the big stars have egos.  Surely, he would have seen in his time more than a few choice words or reactions from players who got subbed out.  

I remember that game at the gold cup and i wondered too why he was subbed out.  He rode the pine for the first two games in the gold cup and was brought in to start the third game. He had a couple scoreing chances and showed a propensity for moving fwd.  i thought he had decent game. But you could read his lips as he was comming off. He was saying "why am i being subbed out".  He didnt throw a tantrum nor object.  I dont see anything seriously wrong with that reation and much less as reason to sack someone.  I would rather have someone who is un happy to be subbed out than someone who is happy. 

Someone else besides you mentioned the system. And that he doesnt fit that system.  Ok i might buy that one.  But then you still need someone who can link with Larin.  And then, how to explain the other non callups.  

The case of Henry is worth repeating.  He was never called when he was starting as centre back with TFC even though i thought he deserved a look.  Then he goes to europe with west ham. Is immediately loaned out to a lower division, and missed an entire season.  He must have played a handfull of minutes since he left TFC for Europe. So then why does Floro thinks that being on the sidelines or in the press box in Europe now make worthy of a callup?   Or more worthy to fit the system?  So the problem i have is not really about Osorio anymore?  Its bigger than that. 

I don't know a lot about Dixon as a player but there have been some other unusual/controversial picks by Floro that have ended up doing fairly well. James and Bekker come to mind. 

The only really unusual omision is Johnson and even if he is starting to play again in MLS that doesn't mean he is fit enough to run for 90 minutes in the heat in Honduras. Also lets not overrate Johnson. He can be pretty effective but he is a player of limited technical ability whose game relies on running and being physical. If he can't do that and can't do that in the Honduran heat he can be pretty useless, he is not someone who can fall back on superior passing and ball skill if his running is not there. 

33 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I don't know a lot about Dixon as a player but there have been some other unusual/controversial picks by Floro that have ended up doing fairly well. James and Bekker come to mind. 

The only really unusual omision is Johnson and even if he is starting to play again in MLS that doesn't mean he is fit enough to run for 90 minutes in the heat in Honduras. Also lets not overrate Johnson. He can be pretty effective but he is a player of limited technical ability whose game relies on running and being physical. If he can't do that and can't do that in the Honduran heat he can be pretty useless, he is not someone who can fall back on superior passing and ball skill if his running is not there. 

Floro's bringing 2 guys from Unattached FC. Does he expect them to run 90 mins in Honduras?

Are the midfielders on this roster really that much better technically than WJ?

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

I get the sense the Dixon pick was purely a political one, made so the CSA could boast about having a player from all five professional teams.

That might be it.   Then again.  Unless i missed it. I didnt see anyone from the Impact selected. 

Edit.: forgot about Maxime Crepeau.

4 hours ago, Yohan said:

Floro's bringing 2 guys from Unattached FC. Does he expect them to run 90 mins in Honduras?

Are the midfielders on this roster really that much better technically than WJ?

Obviously it would be better if everyone was playing 90 minutes but there is a huge difference in fitness between guys between contracts who are training by themselves and/or trialing and someone coming off a major injury. And if people are complaining about calling up Hoilett because he is unattached even though he is one of our only top level players then they are just complaining to complain. So Hoilett shouldn't have been called because he is unattached? And even Haber is one of our only players that is good as a hold up striker which may be something we need to do in Honduras. The only other option in that type of player is Occean and while I would be in favour of calling him (though not at this point since he has not played with the team for a long time) it seems like that ship has sailed for reasons we do not fully know but probably having to do with the incident where he got suspended.

I think we play a much more organized system and tactic under Floro than we have under the last several coaches. There have been a few selections one could criticize but for the most part they involve mediocre MLS players. If we do not make the Hex then the Floro era will and should be likely over even though at best under any coach making the Hex for us is a 50/50 proposition with our level of talent. However, coaches are judged on success so we will see whether Floro can bring us a better result than the last several coaches. I have seen some progress under him and some good results so I am not going to throw him under the bus or throw in the towel before the games have been played like many who are posting here seem to want to do.

Archived