Roster for September WCQ - News / Discussion

shermanator

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

When is there an actual press conference to discuss the squad selections in particular as well as the matches in general.  It seems like the CSA controls access to info like the PMO under Harper.

According to Steven Sandor: "It is expected that Floro will have an availability when the Canadian national team convenes for camp next week in Orlando, Fla."

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When is there an actual press conference to discuss the squad selections in particular as well as the matches in general.  It seems like the CSA controls access to info like the PMO under Harper.

According to a John Molinaro tweet I saw, there isn't one scheduled as yet. Hecertainly wants to ask Floro that question. His take on the roster:http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canada-mens-soccer-team-world-cup-qualifying-will-johnson-honduras-el-salvador/

I think it's probably more the fact that there's very little interest. In the past there has been conference calls in which a few journos have participated. Then depending on where the camp is there's always a few guys like Squizz and Larson around. 

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I think it's probably more the fact that there's very little interest. In the past there has been conference calls in which a few journos have participated. Then depending on where the camp is there's always a few guys like Squizz and Larson around. 

I understand most of the press interaction is via conference call.  Getting information from the "Señor" is challenging at the best of times because of the language concerns but I would really like to know more about the rationale around his selections.  Conference calls are one more layer of firewall/dissemination.

Like everyone else, I'm surprised by the omission of Johnson but will trust Floro knows what he is doing. 

The biggest problem is too many players not playing regular first team football and that defense really frightens me.  I mean, Adam Straith could be our starting CB.  

24 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

The biggest problem is too many players not playing regular first team football and that defense really frightens me.  I mean, Adam Straith could be our starting CB.

I'm even more concerned that Ledgerwood could be our starting RB.

Canada realistically (and unfortunately) only really has a handful of no brainer call-ups based on a combination of track record, age, club, match fitness, etc… If someone like Hutchinson, Hoilett, Larin, Arfield, or Borjan doesn’t get called then it would be pretty surprising. I would think that Johnson, a consistent MLS starter would be in the next group of guys to for sure get called along with Akindele, Edgar, and de Jong. But with that theory that would also mean Aird and Osorio should get called as well.

Of the 23 man roster announced today, 10 )probably 12 if JDG and WJ healthy) were on the team that got destroyed 8-1 last cycle. Glass half full says hopefully they want revenge, glass half empty says I wish there was a bit more turnover. 

My main concern is there are simply too many players not getting minutes at their clubs - if they even have a club.

That and the fact we could field an XI of basically all defenders :/

I feel even "better" about my predictions now. We are not scoring in Honduras. We might score once at home. That would bring us to 2 goals in this round of 6 matches. Methinks that isn't good enough. Again.

I know Canada isn't necessarily blessed with tonnes of offensive talent, but just once, I'd like to go out guns blazin'. Hopefully our next manager can help bring some offensive flair, both tactically and with their call-ups!

1 minute ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Of the 23 man roster announced today, 10 )probably 12 if JDG and WJ healthy) were on the team that got destroyed 8-1 last cycle. Glass half full says hopefully they want revenge, glass half empty says I wish there was a bit more turnover. 

My main concern is there are simply too many players not getting minutes at their clubs - if they even have a club.

I feel even "better" about my predictions now. We are not scoring in Honduras. We might score once at home. That would bring us to 2 goals in this round of 6 matches. Methinks that isn't good enough. Again.

I know Canada isn't necessarily blessed with tonnes of offensive talent, but just once, I'd like to go out guns blazin'. Hopefully our next manager can help bring some offensive flair, both tactically and with their call-ups!

I would be shocked (in a good way obviously) if we scored in Honduras. I think best case scenario is a goalless draw - which is doable. And I think that's probably Floro's mindset too

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

With Larin, Hoilett and Arfield Canada is blessed with offensive talent. Its our defenders that are not the best.

Flame away, but my roster would have looked something like this:

1- GK- Jayson Leutwiler  | ENG / Shrewbury Town
2- RB- Nik Ledgerwood | CAN / FC Edmonton
3- CB- Manjrekar James | HUN / Vasas Budapest
4- LB- Sam Adekube | ENG / Brighton & Hove Albion
5- CB / M- David Edgar | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
6- M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps
7- M- Keven Alemán | CRC / Belen
8- RB- Fraser Aird | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps
9- F- Olivier Occean | NOR / Odds BK
10- M- David Junior Hoilett | Unattached
11- M- Tosaint Ricketts | CAN / Toronto FC
12- M- Michael Petrasso | ENG / Queens Park Rangers
13- M- Atiba Hutchinson | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
14- M- Will Johnson | CAN / Toronto FC
15- CB- Adam Straith | NOR / Fredrikstad FK
16- M- Scott Arfield | ENG / Burnley FC
17- M- Jonothan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
18- GK- Milan Borjan | BUL / PFK Ludogorets Razgrad
19- CB- Steven Vitória | POL / Lechia Gdansk
20- F- Lucas Cavallini | URU / Fenix
21- F- Cyle Larin | USA / Orlando City SC
22- GK- Kenny Stamatopoulos | SWE / AIK Fotbol
23- M / F- Tesho Akindele | USA / FC Dallas

11 hours ago, Vince193 said:

uhhh...This is the same team that will probably call in Straith, who's second division team in Norway is battling relegation, Jakovic, who doesn't play for his 2nd division team in Japan, and probably call in Vitoria and Hoilett, one who just joined a new club after months of no club ball, and the other who has not had a team since the summer. Not to mention the probable exclusion of Osorio. We've seen that under Floro, "earning" call ups isn't how things work.

You forgot to mention that they have called up a player (jamar dixon) who just signed only a month ago with Ottawa.  A team thats having poor season in the NASL.  Previously, according to reports, he played in Finland.  Finland, if you have ever did a little bit research, is really beer league level.  

Dixon is picked over a guys like Johnson, Osorio, Becker, Teibert or even Chapman.  Who are all playing more regularly than dixon and at a much higher level. 

PS.:  i hate to pick on the guy. But does this look like a distinguished career?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamar_Dixon

2 hours ago, Alex1775 said:

My theory for Johnson's absence is  ZIKA

My theory for Johnson's absence is:. He now plays for toronto FC. Once he leaves, just like when Henry left, Floro will like him more and call him him back.  When Henry was playing regularly for TFC, he never got called.  Then he signed europe but had the misfortune of missing an entire year due to injuries.   However that earned him a regular callup to the NT.  Go figure.

2 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I would have used a different adjective than "Concern".  My choice would have been "Outrage".  He is picking players that are unknown, un proven, undistinguished and who are playing at far lower level professionally than many of the players he is ommitting. 

Nevermind soccer for a moment, in what team sport would that ever happen?  When would you ever see that for a national team in soccer, hockey, basketball, volleyball, handball, rugby..etc.  you name it would ever overlook athletes (unless you are some kind of very rare teenage phenom) that are playing at a higher level in favour of journeymen mid career player playin a lower levels and getting less playing time.   The simplest thing anyone can do in evalution for a national team is someones career and track record.  Thats pretty much a given anywhere in the world.  Imaging the outrage if hockey canada would have over looked an NHL player in favour of a player playing in the east coast league. 

Hate to state the obvious, but the first objective is too win.  You improve youR chances to win with better players. He is not picking based whose the better player.

I have to say that I am surprised at how surprised people are that Johnson isn't in the squad. Am I misremembering or didn't this same thing happen for last year's Gold Cup? He was just coming back from injury had an appearance or two in MLS, but he didn't go. In his words he said something to the effect of not being ready to handle the hectic schedule/travel of the Gold Cup. This window involves two games in less than a week and traveling to Honduras followed by Vancouver then back to Toronto (presumably, I'm not looking at the schedule). 

19 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Hate to state the obvious, but the first objective is too win.  You improve youR chances to win with better players. He is not picking based whose the better player.

Floro is not picking the best "on paper" players.  He is picking the players who can best implement his system.

Floro deserves the benefit of the doubt until we are eliminated.  He has not failed yet, in fact we are in a good position and using his system we accomplished what we failed to do in 2012, 2008 and 2004 - beating Honduras at home.   

38 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Floro is not picking the best "on paper" players.  He is picking the players who can best implement his system.

Floro deserves the benefit of the doubt until we are eliminated.  He has not failed yet, in fact we are in a good position and using his system we accomplished what we failed to do in 2012, 2008 and 2004 - beating Honduras at home.   

That is fair.  But i dont know of any system anywhere in the world and in any team sports that involves or states picking inferior talent over superior talent.  There is a reason why one athlete plays in league where the pay is much higher and another athlete plays in different league where the pay is lower.  And it has nothing to do with systems.   It has everything to do with ability, professionalism, and being able to adapt to various systems when implemented.

He has on his squad, three NASL players. None of  whome has distinguished themselves at that level.   And he has left off several MLS players. Many of whom coincidentally play for TFC.  He has two others who are unattached.   Then the rest that are playing in europe, except for West Ham, none of those clubs have anykind of pedigree.

whose going to pass the ball to Larin?   This is guy who needs service.  At some point you have to be able to score a goal.  Right now Honduras has big edge in Goal differnce.  If you dont score in honduras, you have to score lots of goals in Vancouver.  Other teams can play systems also. 

Edit.: also, how would he know that so and player can better implement his system when so little would be know about him.   Thats another problem, he has picked some players that he cant possibly know anything of. 

11 minutes ago, Free kick said:

He has on his squad, three NASL players. None of  whome has distinguished themselves at that level.  He has two others who are unattached.   Then the rest that are playing in europe, except for West Ham, none of those clubs have anykind of pedigree.

That is unfair to Ledgerwood who has been among the best players on the winning-est team in the league. Hoilett, despite being unattached, is also an obvious selection, moreso than even a healthy Johnson.

Archived