2017 CONCACAF U-20 Championship

Ruffian

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

LB_en_logo_under_20s_men_crc_2017.png

The draw is tomorrow at 7pm Eastern/4pm Pacific.

The tournament structure (of 2 big groups) created back in April http://www.concacaf.com/article/costa-rica-named-host-for-2017-concacaf-under-20-championship seems to have been changed to 3 groups of 4: http://www.concacaf.com/article/field-set-and-official-draw-confirmed-for-concacaf-under-20-championship-costa-rica-2017

Nobody seems to know the details of the new format... If all 3 group winners qualify to Korea, who gets that 4th spot? 

Mexico, The USA and Costa Rica are seeded.
If we want to challenge for top of a group, we should hope to face the Ticos or the Yanks.
Since the Ticos are at home, the Yanks would be my choice; they've had training camps in the US and in England - if we play them in the afternoon they may be in for a shock as our guys have trained down in Central America.

Based on qualifying form, a group with St Kitts & Nevis and without Haiti would also be ideal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_CONCACAF_U-20_Championship_qualifying

13 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The tournament structure (of 2 big groups) created back in April http://www.concacaf.com/article/costa-rica-named-host-for-2017-concacaf-under-20-championship seems to have been changed to 3 groups of 4

I kind the liked the 2 group of 6 teams. It gave more meaningful games (atleast 5 group matchs + 1 playoff match) and it gave the chance to play against teams that we doesn't play often.

I think the new format will be similar to the Gold Cup. Top 3 teams in each group go to the U20 WC. 2nd of each group, plus the best third out of the 3 group go to through a knockout stage. So 3 group match and a potential 2 knockout stage match.

Don't think we are really in the position to complain about the group it is drawn in, given how bad they've performed at the U-20 level in the last decade. The results show that we are closer to the minnows now than the powerhouses. Tough qualifying groups are the norm, not the exception.

Either the squad wins when the games count against tough opponents, or they don't. At least the recent results against Honduras in Honduras can give them a little confidence going into another game against Honduras.

3 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Either the squad wins when the games count against tough opponents, or they don't. At least the recent results against Honduras in Honduras can give them a little confidence going into another game against Honduras.

Because if I've learned anything as a Voyageur, it's that it will always come down to winning against Honduras.

Not sure what you guys are moaning about, this a good draw for us. If we finish second behind Mexico in Group A we will be drawn into Group E in Round 2 against likely the US and El Salvador/T&T. If we can't beat Honduras, Antigua and either ES/T&T to qualify then we don't deserve to go.

8 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Not sure what you guys are moaning about, this a good draw for us. If we finish second behind Mexico in Group A we will be drawn into Group E in Round 2 against likely the US and El Salvador/T&T. If we can't beat Honduras, Antigua and either ES/T&T to qualify then we don't deserve to go.

Yeah this isn't bad considering Group D will probably have Mexico, Panama, and Costa Rica (we lost twice to them last September). I would rather have El Salvador/T&T and USA than Mexico and Costa Rica for the next round. Hopefully we beat those Hondurans though.

13 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Not sure what you guys are moaning about...

It's because we didn't know the tournament format!

Who does a draw without previously releasing the tournament format (after saying you won't use the previous one written up in March)?  :huh:

#CONCACAF

Now that we know the format, I agree that this could have been worse. http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-in-group-a-at-concacaf-men-s-under-20-championship-p160183-preview-1

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Because if I've learned anything as a Voyageur, it's that it will always come down to winning against Honduras.

So, maybe it's about time we fucking beat Honduras in a game that matters! If Tabla and Zanata and Shome and Twardek and all the USL players are so damn good, then they'll get the result again.

This is really interesting considering all the changes that Montagliani has suggested for changing qualification. This two group setup means that teams like St.Kitts and Nevis get to play teams like Mexico and a few others before being eliminated. Is it still the same amount of teams that make the Qualification Finals?

Archived