2017 CONCACAF U-20 Championship

Ruffian

On 9/3/2016 at 10:01 PM, Soccerpro said:

I'm hopeful for this pool of players in the future, but it's still a small pool with relatively few professional career options domestically. I'm not sure why this cycle should be the one to finally have a breakthrough.

The 1997 group was the beginning of of a New approach to the Game by Coaches in Canada, instead of the direct approach to scoring (Long 50 yards Passes), the new concept introduce to this age group was a Possession with Purpose approach, they were taught to begin play from the Goalkeeper utilizing triangular plays with a minimum of 6 and a maximum of 8 passes to the Goal Target.

They Excel at this approach to play the game and brought new found optimism to soccer at the youth level and it was great to watch each player executing their role with defined purpose.

This group i know will break the cycle and qualify Canada for a World Cup because The talent level is vast with  above average skilled players from the beginning of the select League at the age of 10..   

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Some fun roster decisions ahead, especially among the mid and forward group. Coaches will have to select 8 or 9 from a group that includes Shome, Doughty, Tabla, Zambazis, Uccello, Borges, Fraser, Zanatta, Millar, Twardek, Ewart, Choiniere, Malik Johnson and possibly Alphonso Davies. 

The defense will be a little more straightforward. Expecting Chung, Brault-Guillard, Meilleur-Giguere, Constant, Sadicki, Baldisimo and Godinho. Goalies? Who knows...

11 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

Some fun roster decisions ahead, especially among the mid and forward group. Coaches will have to select 8 or 9 from a group that includes Shome, Doughty, Tabla, Zambazis, Uccello, Borges, Fraser, Zanatta, Millar, Twardek, Ewart, Choiniere, Malik Johnson and possibly Alphonso Davies. 

The defense will be a little more straightforward. Expecting Chung, Brault-Guillard, Meilleur-Giguere, Constant, Sadicki, Baldisimo and Godinho. Goalies? Who knows...

Goalkeepers will include two out of Pantemis, Di Bernardo, St. Clair, and Kreitling. Pantemis is currently injured and I don't know if he'll be back in time.

1 hour ago, zaltan said:

understand that the camp list will be released today, important camp for the players as it could be their last camp to impress the staff before qualifying at the end of Feb.

Correct.  After this they only have a pre-championship camp scheduled at the beginning of February.

Here's the squad: http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-announces-men-s-u-20-squad-for-honduras-p160071-preview-1

CANADA
GK- Sebastian Breza | ITA / Palermo Calcio
GK- Dayne St. Clair | USA / University of Maryland
CB- Thomas Meilleur Giguère | CAN / FC Montréal
CB- Kamal Miller | USA / Syracuse University
CB- Kosovar Sadiki | ENG / Stoke City U-23
FB- Gabriel Boakye | GER / Energie Cottbus U-19
FB- Kadin Chung | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
M- Tristan Borges | NED / sc Heerenveen
M- Dante Campbell | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
M- David Choinière | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
M- Liam Fraser | CAN / Toronto FC II
M- Luca Uccello | CAN / Toronto FC II
W- Joshua Doughty | ENG / Manchester United Reserves
W- Dayonn Harris | CAN / Vaughan SC Azzurri
W- Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
W- Kris Twardek | ENG / Millwall FC
F- Shaan Hundal | CAN / Toronto FC II
F- Dario Zanatta | SCO / Heart of Midlothian FC

2 hours ago, Oranje said:

CANADA
GK- Sebastian Breza | ITA / Palermo Calcio
GK- Dayne St. Clair | USA / University of Maryland
CB- Thomas Meilleur Giguère | CAN / FC Montréal
CB- Kamal Miller | USA / Syracuse University
CB- Kosovar Sadiki | ENG / Stoke City U-23
FB- Gabriel Boakye | GER / Energie Cottbus U-19
FB- Kadin Chung | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
M- Tristan Borges | NED / sc Heerenveen
M- Dante Campbell | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
M- David Choinière | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
M- Liam Fraser | CAN / Toronto FC II
M- Luca Uccello | CAN / Toronto FC II
W- Joshua Doughty | ENG / Manchester United Reserves
W- Dayonn Harris | CAN / Vaughan SC Azzurri
W- Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
W- Kris Twardek | ENG / Millwall FC
F- Shaan Hundal | CAN / Toronto FC II
F- Dario Zanatta | SCO / Heart of Midlothian FC

So is Gale still tinkering with the squad during the last camp before qualifying?  After the shambles of two years ago, I was hoping we'd go into this tournament knowing what our best squad is but with this roster, I'm not sure that's the case.  Missing from the last camp are:

FB- Marcus Godinho | SCO / Heart of Midlothian FC
M- Shamit Shome | CAN / FC Edmonton
F- Liam Millar | ENG / Liverpool FC U-18
M- Emmanuel Zambazis | GRE / Iraklis 1908 FC
GK- Marvis Kreitling | GER / TSG Sprockhovel
FB- Zachary Brault-Guillard | FRA / Olympique Lyonnais U-19
M- Duwayne Ewart | USA / Pittsburgh Riverhounds

10 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

So is Gale still tinkering with the squad during the last camp before qualifying?  After the shambles of two years ago, I was hoping we'd go into this tournament knowing what our best squad is but with this roster, I'm not sure that's the case.  Missing from the last camp are:

From the article:

"From Canada Soccer's EXCEL Program, Shamit Shome was not selected for this particular camp because his club FC Edmonton are in the NASL playoffs. Unavailable through injuries were Marcus Godinho and Liam Millar."

The other guys you mentioned weren't mentioned in the article though.

9 minutes ago, zaltan said:

I believe that Marcus and Liam are both hurt and does Shamit not have a play off game this weekend

Yes, Shome will be playing in Indy this weekend, and will hopefully be playing in the Soccer Bowl the following weekend. He's the one who's playing at the highest level of all our U-20s right now, and I think it's certain that he is in the starting 11 come March.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

From the article:

"From Canada Soccer's EXCEL Program, Shamit Shome was not selected for this particular camp because his club FC Edmonton are in the NASL playoffs. Unavailable through injuries were Marcus Godinho and Liam Millar."

The other guys you mentioned weren't mentioned in the article though.

Thanks for the clarification.  I guess next time I should RTFA. :)

Makes me feel a little bit better about this camp then.

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

IIRC (and I very well might not be) when we last interviewed Rob Gale he made mention of the issue of player conditioning and how they needed a U20 'pre-season' so to speak right before qualification began (as in during the month of January). So he very well might be bringing a bunch of players in to get a look at them and then bringing more of the squad together in January for a pre-season pseudo camp. 

If I'd actually just listen to my own stuff once in a while I would recall in more detail :|.

Archived