2017 CONCACAF U-20 Championship

Ruffian

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go ahead, get excited, fair play to you all. I don't anymore. I did the last few cycles, but the teams never meet the hype. They win? That's great. They don't? Not surprising. I'm not going to invest myself in these tourneys. It's just not for me. I don't really care what you guys think of it. 

You want to hype up these kids and inflate expectations? More power to you.

10 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Go ahead, get excited, fair play to you all. I don't anymore. I did the last few cycles, but the teams never meet the hype. They win? That's great. They don't? Not surprising. I'm not going to invest myself in these tourneys. It's just not for me. I don't really care what you guys think of it. 

You're just so eager to flaunt that lack of excitement. I don't get it.

55 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I don't think you're on the right board. You're really more of a Canadian Soccer Detractor.

Nope. I love Canadian soccer. I don't like seeing a pattern though that we have of hyping up these tournaments and teams and then tearing them apart when things go wrong during the games.

Its fine to cheer on the team, but don't hype this up and then complain when it all goes awry.You guys set yourself up for disappointment. But whatever, I'm the villain on this board and I wholeheartedly accept that role.

Anyways, to try and re-rail the thread I de-railed. Let's talk roster, shall we?

I would imagine the following players are locks: Davies, Chung, Tabla, Shome, Zanatta.

And the following are probably in the mix: Doughty, Johnson, Fraser, Uccello, Godinho, Ewart, Paton, Borges, Zabazis.

Who else should we be looking out for, other than the players who were going to be in the cancelled U-20 camp? For me, the biggest question is in goal. The only U-20 keepers with a pro deal to my knowledge are di Bennardo and Pantemis. I don't know much about either, but di Bennardo is getting a good string of games with TFC II right now.

4 hours ago, Vince193 said:

Our national team is an exact mirror of our youth teams. What's the point of being a fan if you never get hyped?

53 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Anyways, to try and re-rail the thread I de-railed. Let's talk roster, shall we?

I would imagine the following players are locks: Davies, Chung, Tabla, Shome, Zanatta.

And the following are probably in the mix: Doughty, Johnson, Fraser, Uccello, Godinho, Ewart, Paton, Borges, Zabazis.

Who else should we be looking out for, other than the players who were going to be in the cancelled U-20 camp? For me, the biggest question is in goal. The only U-20 keepers with a pro deal to my knowledge are di Bennardo and Pantemis. I don't know much about either, but di Bennardo is getting a good string of games with TFC II right now.

I'd be looking at more Vancouver players. They just keep winning. The U-18s are headed to the semis of the USSDA, and whitecaps2 lead the west in USL.

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

I'd say both keepers will get the call but it seems like Gale prefers Pantemis just based off the fact he was called to the team against England and started. I thought he had a solid game that day. He's also started a couple times for FC Montreal this season.

I think the biggest question is who will be our CB's with Tomori now gone. Meilleur-Giguere is the only pro U20 centerback that I know of right now. Maybe that one kid from Lyon (Guillard) who was supposed to get called up to the May camp might be the next option.

Edit: Also you forgot David Choiniere in the "locks" category. I think he'll be an important part of the attack.

3 hours ago, Vince193 said:

Nope. I love Canadian soccer. I don't like seeing a pattern though that we have of hyping up these tournaments and teams and then tearing them apart when things go wrong during the games.

Its fine to cheer on the team, but don't hype this up and then complain when it all goes awry.You guys set yourself up for disappointment. But whatever, I'm the villain on this board and I wholeheartedly accept that role.

It is a pattern of struggle against the odds. Our players are good and getting better but everyone else is too and then some. I can appreciate the "don't hype" angle of thought but we have to have something to discuss between WCQ attempts  :)

Cheers Vince and cheer on!

Did we ever figure out who all those kids were in the post from the coaching staff (welcome to new additions etc etc) when the trip got cancelled due to angry volcano gods?  Weren't there a couple of names that were right out of left field?  

Hate to bring this up but Tomori's absence will be a huge loss for the team. He was a dominant defensive force and the clear leader of the team.

Speaking of defense, anyone else see a lack of new defensive talent coming up for Canada - especially the central defenders? 

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Did we ever figure out who all those kids were in the post from the coaching staff (welcome to new additions etc etc) when the trip got cancelled due to angry volcano gods?  Weren't there a couple of names that were right out of left field?  

Waking the Red did an article enumerating each of the new 'surprise' players. I took a quick look and couldn't find it but it's there somewhere. 

11 hours ago, C2SKI said:

I'd be looking at more Vancouver players. They just keep winning. The U-18s are headed to the semis of the USSDA, and whitecaps2 lead the west in USL.

There are no other Canadian U20s on Whitecaps 2 other than Davies and Chung that have played much.

Maybe Matthew Baldisimo, but I haven't seen much of him.

15 hours ago, shermanator said:

Marvis Kreitling would qualify for this.

Also what about that kid that signed with Liverpool (Liam Millar).  Is he still a thing?

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

There are no other Canadian U20s on Whitecaps 2 other than Davies and Chung that have played much.

Maybe Matthew Baldisimo, but I haven't seen much of him.

Those three, along with Thomas Gardner and Terran Campbell have all contributed. Marco Carducci is still 19 too, but he's a '96 so probably not eligible?

With the U18 squad that has had such a great year, there are 3 others that have previously been called to Canada's U20s (Andre Baires, Quinn Bredin, and Vana Markarian), and several others that might be deserving of a call.

9 hours ago, jrue17 said:

That is awesome to read! It's good to see youth talent spread all over the map as well. Not to mention the possibility of players choosing Canada when they have options

There is a lot more 1997 elite players available for Mr Gale Choosing.  Central Back. The Elite U 20 eligible players are

There is also  Andrew Team mate Ahmare Okoyomon 

These Two home grown Central Backs can definitely replace tomori ? 

Archived