Canada vs El Salvador Sept 6th in Vancouver WCQ

Admin

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Alex said:

If you take a step back and really think about it, both matches are really in our favour. Arguably it's our easiest match and Honduras' hardest. It's not inconceivable for both us and Mexico to win, not at all

No argument needed. Those games are definitely Honduras' hardest and our easiest.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Another of the many things that irked me last Friday, ten minutes left and there was no desperation to get a goal. Okay, if we'd been hit by another on a counter late, then fine, but still, no sense of a bit of a push to get that last goal, we were unfocused those last minutes. Even from 4-5 of the players, not even all, a final push forward. Where was it?

Totally agree. I know it was hot but there was no rush or motivation to get that final equalizing goal.

2 hours ago, CUJO said:

If we get a quick goal in the first 15 minutes or at least first 30 then there could be a good chance to get a big win

But seeing how we've scored 2 goals in 450 minutes I don't see that happening:lol:

Well, if you count those friendlies earlier this year, it's like 4 goals in the last 3 matches :) .   Dare to dream!  There's a lot of situational stuff in our favour too...

5 hours ago, Free kick said:

I dont mean to defend Floro here.  But the reason might be that (due to the goal diff situation), losing by one goal to Honduras is much much more preferable than losing by two goals and having to go home with a minus 6 goal diff or greater.   Pushing forward for that one goal would have exposed Canada at the back.

Except that when he came on Ledgerwood was pushed up quite a ways and really had to scramble back in lung busting fashion a couple of times, notably on the play where Boniek Garcia took advantage of his and Henry's side of the field to play that one-two only to put his chip off the bar.

Honestly, why so much negativity?  Everything is in our favour for the final round.   Mex beat Hond 2-0 away, so why not beat them 3-0 at Azteca?  Four years ago we were in similar situation in the 5th round, when we had to run up the score vs Cuba and managed 3-0.  With Arfield, Hoilette, Larin etc added I see no reason we can't do as well vs ES.   Those results *Mex 3-0 Hon  and *Can 3-0 ES would send us to the hex.

45 minutes ago, Dave said:

Honestly, why so much negativity?  Everything is in our favour for the final round.   Mex beat Hond 2-0 away, so why not beat them 3-0 at Azteca?  Four years ago we were in similar situation in the 5th round, when we had to run up the score vs Cuba and managed 3-0.  With Arfield, Hoilette, Larin etc added I see no reason we can't do as well vs ES.   Those results *Mex 3-0 Hon  and *Can 3-0 ES would send us to the hex.

Let's not forget that we have an away-goal against Honduras, so we don't need all 6 goals. 5 goals will be enough.

4 minutes ago, tuque said:

Let's not forget that we have an away-goal against Honduras, so we don't need all 6 goals. 5 goals will be enough.

Only if we make up 4 on goals scored vs Honduras.

so Canada 4-0 and Mexico 1-0 would get us through but Canada 3-0 and Mexico 2-0 would not.

6 hours ago, theaub said:

More fun with diez!

http://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/996952-99/nasralla-honduras-podría-incentivar-económicamente-a-los-salvadoreños

- Honduras should offer 'economic benefits' to the El Salvadoreans for them to play hard against Canada (before anyone gets up in arms, that's not unheard of in North American sports although no one is ever that up front about it).

- The Cuban official was "intimidated" by the presence of Montagliani in the crowd (we made it!) 

- Osorio and Pinto are well acquainted so Osorio won't go too hard on him (this is a believable theory, but is one instance where Floro is extremely useful, since he is also friends with both.  Stephen Hart probably doesn't get the same respect).

- The final line is my favourite and basically says: 'If Canada gets eliminated on Tuesday, very few people in the country will even notice.  But if Honduras is eliminated, it will be a national catastrophe that will affect the daily lives of Hondurans for the next four years'

I suppose stranger things have happened, but I think most ES players would piss on a "financial incentive" offered to them by the Honduran FA.

41 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Only if we make up 4 on goals scored vs Honduras.

so Canada 4-0 and Mexico 1-0 would get us through but Canada 3-0 and Mexico 2-0 would not.

Yup, you're right.  I overlooked that total goals scored in the round comes ahead of the goals between the 2 tied teams.  Thanks.

Archived