Canada vs El Salvador Sept 6th in Vancouver WCQ

Admin

For those that don't follow the Mexican Soccer media, I suspect very little do, there is a massive push to have Osorio (Mex Coach) fired. Especially after that Chile game in the Copa America. 

The thing is, Osorio has yet to make a statement and will be looking for maximum points and a convincing win against Honduras, if he wants to keep his job. Mexico did not look convincing vs El Salvador and should he not perform in Azteca he is likely fired before the Hex gets under way.

He will not play a weak squad.

A little stat that might console you guys: Mexico has scored 2 or more in every qualifier. So 3 goals in Azteca is not crazy to hope for.

Lastly, El Salvador should not be discounted they are a very good team. Hopefully, it's cold on matchday. I'll monitor the Media but it looks like a young squad will play.

In the HEX:

MEX, USA, CRC, PAN, T&T and Canada. I got to say Panama looks legit this time and will upset in a couple of their games. Costa Rica is headed to a World Cup, they're too strong.

Nice tidbit: If USA lose their next match and Guatemala scores 12 unanswered goals vs ST V&G, USA are out. (Fingers crossed).

WHEN* we make the HEX, it's not going to be pretty.

*Results may vary

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we make it to the Hex Benito has to realize that we just can't sit back and play for draws anymore. We actually have to move forward and create chances. We are the underdogs at least play like one. We don even counter. Larin just sits at the top and doesn't win balls or chase. He's just, there. 

The problem is that those wanting us to come out of our shell and play attacking football in every match are the same group that will then call for the coach's head when we lose by 4 or more against Mexico, US, etc because of said tactics. 

There's a time and a place. Now is the time. 

Edit: I thought away to ES (B) should have also been the time and place. 

So losing 3-0 at home to Mexico more or less stuck in our own end is that much of a difference. I'd rather they at least try to win rather than surrendering. 

In my opinion there's only two times where they should've bunkered down. Away vs Mexico and away vs Honduras. At home we should've been more offensive. Even away vs the less skilled ESV B team. 

35 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

So losing 3-0 at home to Mexico more or less stuck in our own end is that much of a difference. I'd rather they at least try to win rather than surrendering. 

In my opinion there's only two times where they should've bunkered down. Away vs Mexico and away vs Honduras. At home we should've been more offensive. Even away vs the less skilled ESV B team. 

The match was tied. We pressed, got stretched and got sucker punched on the counter. If we tried to press and play attacking football every game, there'd be a lot more of that. We're just not good enough. 

It's nice that Mexco and Honduras play 2 hours before us, so we will basically know the result and what needs to be done. It also seems that Honduras NOT scoring in Mexico would be huge for us.

Still, considering losing in Honduras was a real possibility, I think Floro did not call enough attacking players. Too many CBs. Now, when we absolutely need goals, we have too many defensive players. Only 2 natural strikers called (1 unattached)...

That's why guys like Johnson are valuable, as he can play anywhere in the midfield and contribute with a goal here and there...

8 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

It's nice that Mexco and Honduras play 2 hours before us, so we will basically know the result and what needs to be done. It also seems that Honduras NOT scoring in Mexico would be huge for us.

Still, considering losing in Honduras was a real possibility, I think Floro did not call enough attacking players. Too many CBs. Now, when we absolutely need goals, we have too many defensive players. Only 2 natural strikers called (1 unattached)...

That's why guys like Johnson are valuable, as he can play anywhere in the midfield and contribute with a goal here and there...

No more roster change allowed?

16 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I am pretty sure the game is at the same time to prevent shenanigans. 

Some Guys need to come down from LALA Land. What exactly are you guys smoking?

Who other than Atiba actually looks comfortable on the ball?

Whenever Larin had it spoonfed to him he lost it in his first touch. Do you expect Edgar or DE Jong to dance their way around pressure and make a delicate through pass to Ricketts who will calmly and majestically tap it past the charging CB as he chips the onrushing keeper?

Our guys ALL of them are so ERROR PRONE that EVEN a counterattack tactic would result in easy goals like the one James almost gave away today. 

Did we all forget Honduras giving us an 8-1 beating back to reality? Honduras regularly makes Big Tournaments like the World Cup, Copa America and their players are at least regular starters or sometimes stars in their respective team.

We are Unattached FC, or Sporting "trying to earn a starting spot" or heck even a couple of minutes, or changing teams every couple of years because we are disposable, we are Bayern "Reserves", or at best AC Big Hulking Bruiser.

For those that examined the game, the team played ugly clear the ball tactics and it at least got us a tie going into halftime. 

At the start of the second half we at least tried passing the ball. We surrendered a goal in 10 minutes.

Floro was right to go back to ugly football and not let Honduras gain any momentum and make it impossible for even Mexico to help us.

For all of you that think Floro was happy with how we played only need to see how FREAKING mad he was at the water break. But as a smart manager he knows our limitations.

Lastly, you are right to be angry and want to see more. However,  Floro is not the problem. We need to demand change at the Grassroots level, at how the game is organized and governed. We need to stop supporting the clubs that ruin our talent and start FINANCIALLY backing Academies, Clubs, etc that put SERIOUS effort into player development.  

Lastly, there is something more practical we can do as a supporters group, how about we Endorse Academies, Clubs, People who are making a difference. 

We could have a Voyageurs List of Excellence. Maybe even a Blacklist to shame those who hold back our game. Like the OSA vote to deny Academies entry into OPDL. The very vote that made Jason DE Vos resign from the Technical Advisory Committee. 

I remember when we started the Voyageurs Cup and it meant very little to anyone but us and NOW it's THE official trophy in this country.

We need change and the parents are hungry. I know alot of parents would love a list like that.

Anyways, it's not over yet. With all the tourist dollars we send to Mexico they owe us. Plus I bet they would rather see us in the HEX and not Honduras. 

1 hour ago, BCM1555362349 said:

The match was tied. We pressed, got stretched and got sucker punched on the counter. If we tried to press and play attacking football every game, there'd be a lot more of that. We're just not good enough. 

Playing at home in front of a sellout crowd wasnt a time to implement the TTT it would send the wrong message to the fans thank god he didn't or I'd a ask my money and gas back. We had great chances and didn't score to take the lead.  Plus the first goal they scored on us was an unmarked Chicharito header and the second goal was Hutch (one of our best players) coughing the ball up in the mid and they countered and the Mexican went past Straith (who shouldn't be selected IMO) like a hot knife through butter. So there 2 bad defensive miscues resulting in goals. Even today Henry didn't mark his man, was burnt and they scored the second goal! All defensive lapses and "defending" is Benito's Special: be all end all.

7 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Any chance El Salvador will play its U20 side?

Per Grafico, the foreign players (outside of Denis Pineda) are taking a 'separate flight' to Vancouver from the rest of the national team.  I have no idea what that means.

Just now, theaub said:

Per Grafico, the foreign players (outside of Denis Pineda) are taking a 'separate flight' to Vancouver from the rest of the national team.  I have no idea what that means.

JDG is taking them on an Vancouver club crawl to get them involved in off field shenanigans prior to the match?   Ahh, now I know what his social cohesion duties entail!!! ;) 

As predicted, worst players on the field were those who are not playing at club level: Henry,Hoilett,Jakovic and James. 2 league games combined in the past 4 months. Straith and Edgar are the ones who are playing and 4 nasl CB starters weren't called. Ledgerwood, with very good performances at RB, a no brainer and Jackson who has had a great season not even subbed on. 

He won't change the tactics, players or formation. He will just play for a 0-0 hoping to get a late goal and for Mexico to win by 5. Get rid of him and get Johnson on a plane to Vancouver and bring in Aird who is very good on both sides of the ball. 4-4-2 with our best at each position who are playing in clubs and Larin to start on the bench: Borjan;de Jong,Straith,Edgar,Ledgerwood;Arfield,Hutchinson,Johnson,Aird;Akindele,Jackson

Archived