Canada vs El Salvador Sept 6th in Vancouver WCQ

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the match is in Vancouver again, my suggestion is that we attempt to keep non-participants (those not interested in chanting) out of the "core" Vees' section (whether that's in the front or wherever), as they really watered down the atmosphere two weeks ago. I've honestly never been in such a quiet Vees' section; however, the sold-out stadium supposedly compensated for that, lending to a good overall atmosphere.

Lots of people there who understood what the section was about and wanted to be there, but completely uninterested in contributing. Somehow, we need to clarify at the point of ticket sale that participation is an expectation in the core area. Those there to merely watch and "soak up the atmosphere" can stand at the back or adjacent to wherever the "core" area is.

Efforts were made last time to "tape off" (using caution tape) the front areas for hardcore support, yet over at one side of the section (near the  players' tunnel) it was filled with passive people. Need to find a better way to communicate that "front = participation."

My two cents.

28 minutes ago, Blue and White Army said:

If the match is in Vancouver again, my suggestion is that we attempt to keep non-participants (those not interested in chanting) out of the "core" Vees' section (whether that's in the front or wherever), as they really watered down the atmosphere two weeks ago. I've honestly never been in such a quiet Vees' section; however, the sold-out stadium supposedly compensated for that, lending to a good overall atmosphere.

Lots of people there who understood what the section was about and wanted to be there, but completely uninterested in contributing. Somehow, we need to clarify at the point of ticket sale that participation is an expectation in the core area. Those there to merely watch and "soak up the atmosphere" can stand at the back or adjacent to wherever the "core" area is.

Efforts were made last time to "tape off" (using caution tape) the front areas for hardcore support, yet over at one side of the section (near the  players' tunnel) it was filled with passive people. Need to find a better way to communicate that "front = participation."

My two cents.

Totally agree. We arrived to find a bunch of seats half way up 201 being "saved" with scarves and jackets. Those people did not sing or even wave the flags.

Why no chatter of having this game in Montreal. It will have the same "hasn't been here in a while" feel that Vancouver has thrived under and the turf has not been an issue in Vancouver. Also, Montreal will have as nice weather as Toronto in September. (and driving distance for me to that great city)

9 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

What will be the cheapest way to get to Vancouver from Toronto?  I was planning on flying over from England but would be going to Toronto to visit family. 

Has anyone fron Ontario or Quebec driven to the matches in Vancouver?

I' ve never driven from BC to Ontario for a WCQ match, but I had a friend drive from here to T.Dot and took him about 4-5 days driving while stopping to sleep in some motels along the way.  I'm sure if you go with a party of friends, you could take turns driving.

14 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

I' ve never driven from BC to Ontario for a WCQ match, but I had a friend drive from here to T.Dot and took him about 4-5 days driving while stopping to sleep in some motels along the way.  I'm sure if you go with a party of friends, you could take turns driving.

I had friends do it in 48 hours, straight driving, swapping for sleep breaks on the way.

In September, if you have the time to kill, drive, and camp along the way. It took us 7 days, driving a few hours each day, and camping in each province as we went.

58 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

What will be the cheapest way to get to Vancouver from Toronto?  I was planning on flying over from England but would be going to Toronto to visit family. 

There are car services that let you drive someone's car across the country for free if you are delivering it the owner there.  If you can stomach a 4 day drive lol.

Example, driving some snowbirds car to them in Florida because they can't do it themselves anymore.

EDIT - Needed to clarify and I should say they also pay for your flight back!

2 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I drove from Toronto - Edmonton - Vancouver for the WWC. Driving solo It took me 3 days from vancouver straight back to Toronto. Was about 15 hours driving time each day and 4500 km total, but I didn't take the shortcut through the U.S. If you have the time it is a beautiful drive and not too expensive. I slept in the car at designated roadside rest areas for the ultimate in cheap travel ;)

Also you get to brag that you drove through 4 Provinces in 1 day, if you time it right :)

Just confirmed in the press conference. Vancouver it is. TSN broadcast again. http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-partners-with-tsn-to-broadcast-canadian-soccer-p159347-preview-1

Floro: He personally likes BMO Field but feels our players can't deal well with the wind. Obviously greater chances we will have to deal with windy conditions. Felt we didn't deal with the wind well when we played Guatemala?!?

I'll be there and I'll be loud! I'll admit that I was quiet at times during the Mexico game, but that was mostly because I wouldn't know some of the chants, and with Zach leading it means those chants I may not know go on for 5 minutes. We need to do a better job of educating people of what the chants are before complaining that people are silent. For example in the pre game e-mails I don't recall seeing a songbook or the like, that could've helped. Most supporters in my section were Southsiders and we were hearing chants with French in them which I and many others don't know a lick of. If the goal is louder support perhaps sing more mainstream chants? Some went over really well like "Seven Seas" "We're Red We're White", and like I said, French ones: crickets. And to clarify, that's absolutely nothing against French, its just a reflection that we're in a city where the language just isn't spoken or heard that often, but even that could be solved with better chant preparation. That said, the chanting may not have been there from where I was, but the flag waving was there, so that's something.

As someone who was also at the front of 201, I will say that a part of the passivity was due to the fact that nothing from the megaphones carried across.  So while those of us who regularly attend Whitecaps/Canada matches were able to kind of pick up the chants and go with it (and even I will say that considering I've only been in Vancouver twice I didn't know all of them), anyone who didn't at all would've had a hell of a time picking them up.  

Is that an excuse for the fact that there were only a few people who did in the first place?  Probably not, but at the end of the day it is inevitable that some people who are not 100% versed in all chants Whitecaps/Canada related are going to be in the front of the section.   As Jamie said, people probably saw GA and figured they may as well show up early to get the best seats as you would at a concert etc.  Doesn't help when you get played off the pitch either...

21 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Floro: He personally likes BMO Field but feels our players can't deal well with the wind. Obviously greater chances we will have to deal with windy conditions. Felt we didn't deal with the wind well when we played Guatemala?!?

Strange. Although here are his comments after that particular friendly against Guatemala in March 2015:

"It was a very good game for us because the wind favoured us in the first half and the players really didn't know how to handle that," said head coach Benito Floro. "So we got the goal on a corner kick but we didn't play well except for only 10 minutes in the first half. In the second half, when we were going into the wind, I think the team played very well."

http://www.pqbnews.com/national/sport/297867571.html

Archived