Canada vs El Salvador Sept 6th in Vancouver WCQ

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To amanfromvancouver:

I'm not here to criticize you or your ideas.  However, I think that you have misunderstood what the Voyageurs stand for (which is supporting the sport of soccer/football in Canada) and the issues we've had in the past in trying to get more pro-Canadian support in the stadiums.  You are entitled to your views and if you find the views of members of this board to be overly critical of your views then I'm sorry you feel that way.  However, as you can tell, many of us have experience in being drowned out by away support at home games while when Canada goes to Central America, it's outright hostile.  Most are not advocating making the atmosphere the same as Azteca where the supporters shine lasers in the keeper's eyes or in Honduras, El Salvador, etc where bags of urine are launched from the stands.  BUT is it not the right of our own national teams to want to be able to play in front of passionate supporters?  Because if you don't think that's the case, then what incentive is there for our players to want to bust their ass off for Canada? 

I just think we all are to sensitive and should just get on with it. express yourself in a rationale way, and if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything! Trust me my opinions often are contrary to the mainstream. We are all Red and white!

I think that amanfromvancouver should start his own group.  You obviously don't agree with the group and nobody said that you can't form your own group.  There are hundred of supporters groups out there that support their national teams worldwide.  The Viyageurs was started up by a 2 guys in the 90's and it grew from there.  If you feel that you can't make friends here think everybody is ganging up on you, which I think is absurd, as everybody has differing opinions and not over zealous than others, than you're welcome to form your own group. I know think your purposefully baiting people here and not making opinions related to the thread. I have always differing opinions than the Viyageurs in the past and has gotten heated, but in the end we agree to disagree, let cooler heads prevail and move on.  If you can't do that, then you'll never feel at ease here, which can be normal to some as not everybody wishes to be a Voyageur, but still support Canada in a meaningful way.

6 hours ago, JamboAl said:

To amanfromvancouver:

I'm not here to criticize you or your ideas.  However, I think that you have misunderstood what the Voyageurs stand for (which is supporting the sport of soccer/football in Canada) and the issues we've had in the past in trying to get more pro-Canadian support in the stadiums.  You are entitled to your views and if you find the views of members of this board to be overly critical of your views then I'm sorry you feel that way.  However, as you can tell, many of us have experience in being drowned out by away support at home games while when Canada goes to Central America, it's outright hostile.  Most are not advocating making the atmosphere the same as Azteca where the supporters shine lasers in the keeper's eyes or in Honduras, El Salvador, etc where bags of urine are launched from the stands.  BUT is it not the right of our own national teams to want to be able to play in front of passionate supporters?  Because if you don't think that's the case, then what incentive is there for our players to want to bust their ass off for Canada? 

You define "passionate supporters" as Voyageurs.....  the rest of us Canadians who want to show up the games don't matter.  The measure of blocking off the stadium was with Voyageurs in mind; keeping other Canadians out because they were not considered real supporters.  That was a big part of my issue.

We don't have to be like the Voyageurs to love and follow our national program. 

5 hours ago, nolbertos said:

I think that amanfromvancouver should start his own group.  You obviously don't agree with the group and nobody said that you can't form your own group.  There are hundred of supporters groups out there that support their national teams worldwide.  The Viyageurs was started up by a 2 guys in the 90's and it grew from there.  If you feel that you can't make friends here think everybody is ganging up on you, which I think is absurd, as everybody has differing opinions and not over zealous than others, than you're welcome to form your own group. I know think your purposefully baiting people here and not making opinions related to the thread. I have always differing opinions than the Viyageurs in the past and has gotten heated, but in the end we agree to disagree, let cooler heads prevail and move on.  If you can't do that, then you'll never feel at ease here, which can be normal to some as not everybody wishes to be a Voyageur, but still support Canada in a meaningful way.

Let me try to repeat a bit.

Differing opinions are great... I have no fear of someone disagreeing with me.  My concerns were people calling me names such as ignorant or telling me to get lost.  That is not differing opinions, it is simply trying to snuff out other perspectives.  I wish someone here could see that, at least one person.

2 hours ago, amanfromvancouver said:

You define "passionate supporters" as Voyageurs.....  the rest of us Canadians who want to show up the games don't matter.  The measure of blocking off the stadium was with Voyageurs in mind; keeping other Canadians out because they were not considered real supporters.  That was a big part of my issue.

We don't have to be like the Voyageurs to love and follow our national program. 

I don't think any member of the Voyageurs has stated that anyone supporting Canada but not in the Voyageurs section is not a real supporter of the Canadian national team(s).  In fact, many self identified (and passionate) Voyageurs choose not to be in the supporter's section and you know what: that's okay too.  

However, the Voyageurs is the only recognised supporters group by the CSA and by the media as a whole.  So if the CSA chooses to block off part of the stadium to ensure that Canada gets a partisan home following, then I frankly don't understand why you would have a problem with that, especially if you follow the national program.  There are plenty of other areas in the stadium available for you to go to…this has been raised by others to you.         

17 hours ago, admin said:

Depends on what you are referring to.  

If you read this forum, there are clearly differences of opinion on just about everything and lots of discussion about it. 

You also have to remember that the majority of people on here are not anonymous. They may have usernames, but they have known each other for 20 years.   So they take the piss out of each other rather often.  If you don't know what's going on well...

I'm not anonymous? That is worrying....

I made this point before: you can't make it look like the Voyageurs are some kind of hegemonic control-freaking lobby dominating Canadian soccer lording it over the Joe-soccer fan, which is what this guy is trying to do. It is blatantly false. It is  a twisted skewing of reality, and it is totally hypocritical. His opinion is the majority, it is the stick we've been beaten with for decades, and frankly, we are not going to take being hit like that over and over again and then told we are the ones misuing our weaponry.

So while I don't think amanfromvancouver is at all a bad guy, or really that mean-spirited, what he represents is in fact totally pernicious. He represents THE dominant discriminatory position in the Canadian middle of the road happy to beat up on a minority. He is Big Brother, and like a lot of people representing dominant perspectives, makes like he is the one left out. 

The V's and other die-hard fans represent a totally minority position, ignored for years and still disdained, mistreated, discriminated by many clubs. We are still being disrespected constantly (like how the CSA still screws around with the identity and meaning of OUR cup, disgraceful). If you look at the working core of V's and the MLS and NASL supporter groups, the ones behind the women, we probably don't even come to 5% of  fans in the whole country.

Which is why we have to be 100% in favour of continuing to push for a massive, noisy intentional support dominating all stadiums in Canada where Canada or a Canadian pro team is playing. We owe it to those who fought for the Voyageur's legacy from the start and those newcomers who end up so thankful after discovering what it is like and what it means. 

9 hours ago, amanfromvancouver said:

This is exactly what I am talking about.   Just sad you can't handle anything outside of your bubble of thought.

I completely get what you are saying.

For instance, I had a dream last night: I was on a Voyageurs away game trip and we had rented an entire floor of a dorm, or something like that.  There were all sorts of Vees there including Jamie, Squizz, Lord Bob, Sam and I think even TheAub (even though I've never met him) among many other randoms.  There were an equal number of female Vees there too, but they were all amalgams of girls I knew in high school and university.  Anyways, in typical high school band trip fashion hijinks ensued (if you never got the chance to be in band and go on band trips, you missed out).  At one point, while everything was going crazy, I noticed a girl I knew in high school emerged from my closet wearing a purple-ish red velour prom dress.  She went on to steal $80 from my bedside table.  When I confronted her about it she reluctantly gave it back and was super pissed, as were many other people.  Everyone then started screwing with my stuff and giving me a hard time.  It was horrible.

True story.  I just woke up from that dream.

What do you think it means?

I had a dream last night about being offered full-time employment in both Vancouver and Barcelona doing what I love best. The last scene was me going to the job interview in Barcelona and it was pouring rain, I had to walk up a metallic staircase on the outside of an industrial building and went in and the guy made the offer.

My wife says it means that weather cannot be an excuse for choosing one city over another.

Thing is, with what is happening with the Nats in Vancouver and the Caps, and with Barça in a tailspin, soccer might not be either.

This is my way of saying how much I'd love to be at this game. BTW, the dream was real, and was really last night.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm not anonymous? That is worrying....

I made this point before: you can't make it look like the Voyageurs are some kind of hegemonic control-freaking lobby dominating Canadian soccer lording it over the Joe-soccer fan, which is what this guy is trying to do. It is blatantly false. It is  a twisted skewing of reality, and it is totally hypocritical. His opinion is the majority, it is the stick we've been beaten with for decades, and frankly, we are not going to take being hit like that over and over again and then told we are the ones misuing our weaponry.

So while I don't think amanfromvancouver is at all a bad guy, or really that mean-spirited, what he represents is in fact totally pernicious. He represents THE dominant discriminatory position in the Canadian middle of the road happy to beat up on a minority. He is Big Brother, and like a lot of people representing dominant perspectives, makes like he is the one left out. 

The V's and other die-hard fans represent a totally minority position, ignored for years and still disdained, mistreated, discriminated by many clubs. We are still being disrespected constantly (like how the CSA still screws around with the identity and meaning of OUR cup, disgraceful). If you look at the working core of V's and the MLS and NASL supporter groups, the ones behind the women, we probably don't even come to 5% of  fans in the whole country.

Which is why we have to be 100% in favour of continuing to push for a massive, noisy intentional support dominating all stadiums in Canada where Canada or a Canadian pro team is playing. We owe it to those who fought for the Voyageur's legacy from the start and those newcomers who end up so thankful after discovering what it is like and what it means. 

This is comedy gold.  The bully cries discrimination.  I give you points for creativity.

Archived