Canadian Premier League

ted

25 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Well, according to this article, TFC want to be involved. But the quotes given seem to indicate they would want it to be for a reserve team or even a U-20 team. Based on these quotes, I think they are in for a rude awakening on what the CSA's aspirations for a CPL are. This league won't serve the purpose of simply developing players for MLS clubs. That's what the current USL clubs are for.

Perhaps MLS clubs can loan players to the CPL to get minutes. But reserve teams? Might as well but a bullet in the CPL's head before it launches.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/09/19/mls-crunches-the-numbers-and-takes-away-tfcs-x

TFC are clueless about what's coming their way. No way CSA allows TFC 2 in CPL.

"Not a competition to CPL?". Huh, yeah, they kind of will be as explain in my precious post.

Keep MLSE out of the loop CSA. For all we know, Gerber is trying to get details through TFC.

CSA sure is as secretive as the CIA on CPL

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/21/2015 at 6:18 PM, CDNFootballer said:

If this new Canadian D1A league is launched awarding the Canadian concacaf champions league spot to the league champion would help with its profile and image.

Look, I'm not really interested in this, but this is how conversations get derailed. Page 5?

@shermanator

For the record, I originally made a relatively flip general statement I have seen, YOU imputed an additional meaning that I didn't even imply, and are now holding me to some standard of proof.

We're already past the point of arguing about arguing. Next it'll be goalposts.

The pro/rel discussion is more productive. (Not really.)

15 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Chad Barrett literally missed all his scoring chances when he was here, Dan Gargan was complete vanilla and Jacob Peterson was arguably the worst player that ever suited up for us. When it comes to Peterson, him showing some usefulness now at Sporting KC tells me guys like Matt Stinson and Joey Melo could still be in this league if they were American.

Quoted for everything this says about the Voyageur's forum.

I'm out. Have fun guys.

2 minutes ago, Michael Crampton said:

Quoted for everything this says about the Voyageur's forum.

I'm out. Have fun guys.

You make a couple of short sighted posts, get called out for them by a few people here and you wanna run away now? Come on bro, man up and explain yourself.

40 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Well, according to this article, TFC want to be involved. But the quotes given seem to indicate they would want it to be for a reserve team or even a U-20 team. Based on these quotes, I think they are in for a rude awakening on what the CSA's aspirations for a CPL are. This league won't serve the purpose of simply developing players for MLS clubs. That's what the current USL clubs are for.

Perhaps MLS clubs can loan players to the CPL to get minutes. But reserve teams? Might as well but a bullet in the CPL's head before it launches.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/09/19/mls-crunches-the-numbers-and-takes-away-tfcs-x

They want to figure out the best way to develop players for their MLS teams? Manning is so full of shit. It's more like they want to figure out the best way to stifle competition.

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

You make a couple of short sighted posts, get called out for them by a few people here and you wanna run away now? Come on bro, man up and explain yourself.

They want to figure out the best way to develop players for their MLS teams? Manning is so full of shit. It's more like they want to figure out the best way to stifle competition.

And on those notes, fuck the MLSE being in the CPL. 

Its just a hope and prayer that there are some big players willing to put a team in Toronto knowing the competition.

The MLS teams are trying to get information in preparation to ensure they have a legit stronghold on the market. 

Dear CSA

Please inform Toronto FC that you are not interested in fielding their B team. Instead inform them that, if they are interested in being involved, they can loan players to clubs and arrange an annual pair of friendlies against the GTA CPL team to be the "Champions of Toronto."

So this Toronto Sun reporter, Kurtis Larson, seems to be out to lunch on the CPL. He's claiming it will be at a Usl PDL level (although he doesn't base it on any knowledge or source, just his thinking) with MLSE/TFC staffer mentioning a TFC3 club in his article.

He got into it on twitter with Rollins and FC Edmonton assistant coach Jeff Paulus. When Paulus and another user corrrected him when he said Usl was below MLS incorrecly and he stated he knew he "just doesn't care". Nice attitude for a reporter, seems like quite the MLS shill and was whining that people are making MLS out to be the bad guy.

Saying stuff like the following is definitely a good way to call the CSA's bluff:

“I like the concept of Canadian teams playing Canadian teams,” Manning said. “Could there be a Canadian division within the USL?”

It’s clear TFC’s top brass want to be involved — something Manning said goes for the rest of Canada’s MLS franchises.

“They (Vancouver Whitecaps and Montreal Impact) just want to figure out the best way to develop players for the MLS teams,” Manning said.

“What we don’t want to do is have a situation where we’re competing for players with the CPL teams. I don’t think that’s going to happen.”

The question, though, is whether the CSA wants it to.

12 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Larson, as always, is being a bit of an ass

MLSE is either trying to publicly denigrate the league in major media (using Larson as a mouthpiece) by implying that the league will be lower than TFC II, or they haven't been paying any attention at all (seems doubtful that they wouldn't look into their competition). 

No respect for him.  He is a complete MLSE shill.  

11 hours ago, Michael Crampton said:

Reddit every time the CPL idea gets mentioned (though, tbf, judging by flairs that's regularly, though not exclusively, from Americans who seem to want to tell Canada how to organize our professional game). I'm sure I *can* find examples on this board generally. And going back through the thread, the notion that the CCL spot should be given should be taken from the VoyCup--which would all but kill the tournament--and given to the CPL exclusively turns up on about p 6.

I follow all those threads and am presently surprised to see many Americans cheering on the success of the CanPL.  They want to see it succeed too (fans at least)

14 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

VICTOR: No Gents, we won't be talking about that. I'm just here to inform you that you are losing your sanctioning and you will not be allowed to operate in Canada as of 2018

You really think that's going to happen? I'd be amazed if the three MLS franchises didn't have their legal teams explore whether the CSA could ever do that and get away with it before they handed over their franchise fees to MLS.

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Saying stuff like the following is definitely a good way to call the CSA's bluff:

“I like the concept of Canadian teams playing Canadian teams,” Manning said. “Could there be a Canadian division within the USL?”

It’s clear TFC’s top brass want to be involved — something Manning said goes for the rest of Canada’s MLS franchises.

“They (Vancouver Whitecaps and Montreal Impact) just want to figure out the best way to develop players for the MLS teams,” Manning said.

“What we don’t want to do is have a situation where we’re competing for players with the CPL teams. I don’t think that’s going to happen.”

The question, though, is whether the CSA wants it to.

The Current Canadian Premier League investors are not ready to accept TFC and Major League Soccer Canada in the Fold at this point, TFC and MLS Canada has other idea`s  which will down grade the Division 1A Product that the CPL intends to occupy in Canada according to the allowance of the Canadian Soccer Association.

Our Business Plan has TFC and MLS Canada Buying in/Purchasing a Franchise in the CPL in our 3rd year of operation which we are going to stand by: no other offer can be tabled:

Only offer CPL could accept is : http://www.wakingthered.com/2016/9/14/12912976/could-canadian-teams-toronto-fc-vancouver-whitecaps-montreal-impact-be-pulled-out-of-mls 

33 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

MLSE: So, let's discuss how we can get our Academy team into your new league...

VICTOR: No Gents, we won't be talking about that. I'm just here to inform you that you are losing your sanctioning and you will not be allowed to operate in Canada as of 2018

As much as I absolutely love Toronto FC, I am a Canadian soccer fan first and foremost. But honest question, let's say Victor "forces" the 3 MLS teams into the CPL, will this actually benefit Canadian soccer?

We have 3 MLS teams each averaging over 20,000 fans per game that are actually playing and developing a good amount of Canadian players (about 8-12 Canadians usually involved per week total). The problem with MLS is that there are only 2 Canadians playing on American teams which is not good, but the Canadian teams are doing their part.

CPL can do just fine with 8-10 Canadian markets on top of the 3 MLS teams, I think this will be best case scenario. A Hamilton and 2nd team in Toronto can and should still be able to draw about 8,000 fans let's say if the league is competitive enough. There is no issue if the CPL is a quality second division league that helps produce young players, while also employing fringe MNT veterans Straith, Haber, Jakovic, Hainault etc.

23 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

You really think that's going to happen? I'd be amazed if the three MLS franchises didn't have their legal teams explore whether the CSA could ever do that and get away with it before they handed over their franchise fees to MLS.

According to FIFA, the CSA has the right to ban the big 3 from Canada

48 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

MLSE: So, let's discuss how we can get our Academy team into your new league...

OMG, could you imagine. Lawsuits out of the ass.

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

So CFL-linked CPL investors basically want to remove MLS from Canada and the CSA is helping them on this?

CPL being out of the big 3 market is a huge obstacle to the CPL long term viability and success, so yeah I get where CSA is coming from

Agree I think it's hyperbole.  It's a theoretical possibility but I doubt they would actually ever want to pay the price to do it.

They could definitely force the US players to be counted as foreign players, and/or increase Canadian content requirements.  If they gave sufficient notice, like 2 or 3 years, there's probably nothing the MLS teams could do.

So more like:  By 2018 you can continue to play in MLS in Canada but you have to carry 12 Canadians and start 5.  Alternatively you can move to CanPL and play under those sanctioning and Canadian content rules.

This Larson article is just MLSE getting their word out first. Making it sound like they are welcoming of the league and wish for it to succeed, but what they are actually saying reveals that they want to belittle it so that it either fails or serves only their purposes.

I found it very insulting when Manning suggested that perhaps TFC's L1O team could play in the CPL. It's like he's saying "We know for sure that this CPL thing is below MLS, it might also be below USL too. So we'd like to either put our reserve team in the league, or our reserve team's reserve team." I really hope they aren't owners of a team in this league. If they want to help support the league, payments to the CPL for a rainy day fund or something. What they would benefit is a deeper domestic player pool for them to buy players from.

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I know that and have pointed that out in this thread. The question is what the Candian legal system would do if this was challenged in the courts. The CSA doesn't have tens to hundreds of millions to compensate for lost franchise values.

I don't particularly think that the legal fees are relevant in this case. FIFA hates when people go to the courts, rather than their tribunals or what not. If the three Canadian MLS teams took the CSA to court, FIFA would fight it hard. Hell, they might even sanction MLS entirely, or at least threaten to, which would likely stop any court battles - MLS would suffer without the Canadian teams, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as if FIFA sanctioned them for taking the CSA to court. And if MLS were facing FIFA sanctions, I don't think the USSF would be too interested in backing their fight, as they need those players for international competitions. 

Nonetheless, it's not going to happen. The CSA is not going to revoke sanctioning unless MLS continues to dick them around and/or the CPL is up and running at a level comparable to MLS.

Archived