Cristián Gutiérrez

Vince193

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

I thought after last season he was done, but AFTN started reporting that the relationship between him and the club had been fixed. Will be interested to hear what happened. 

Those things are rarely "fixed."  A myriad if factors could be at play:  the club probably wanted to get something for him and inevitably (and not suprisingly) had no takers, with his injury issues (unless the club was misleading in that way to keep him out of the line up, who knows?  Maybe he himself believed that he was going to get a fair shot at the LB spot this year, saw it was not going to happen, so has agreed to a mutual termination.  On the surface, the biggest issue was his injury absences.  The best ability is availability.

14 minutes ago, CCrTFC said:

When @Watchmen posted he was leaving last week, I was going to mention that he should go to TFC for LB support. 

Now, I just look like a guy who is talking out of his ass 😄

The left back spot with TFC is still up for grabs in my opinion.  Petretta has been inconsistent and the fact he was barely playing (and not well) for Kasimpasa in Turkey makes me think he is not the long term solution for TFC.  Let's hope Gutierrez can take that spot for his own.

Edited by Corazon

16 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Petretta has been unimpressive, I’m happy they claimed him and he has a real chance at playing and being a steal… but it makes the Petrasso trade look boggling… 

also, awful asset management by Vancouver and Sartini, he was wrong fully dropped

Agree with the bolded part above.  But it's possible that Petretta hasn't impressed as much as expected.  It's also becoming more clear that JMR isn't going to be playing much outside back (or at all).

So as far as outside backs go:

1) Laryea is a lock.

2) Petretta has underwhelmed (looked decent on opening game).

3) Franklin probably not ready for consistent minutes.

4) JMR is yet to even play this season.

Gutierrez arguably walks into this club potentially as the 2nd best outside back in the squad.

Edited by Corazon

Just now, Corazon said:

Agree with the bolded part above.  But it's possible that Petretta hasn't impressed as much as expected.  It's also becoming more clear that JMR isn't going to be playing much outside back (or at all).

1) Laryea is a lock.

Gutierrez arguably walks into this club as the 2nd best outside back in the squad.

Laryea is possibly leaving in the summer too, so that's one less option. TFC are smart to pick up another fullback. 

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

1) Laryea is a lock.

Gutierrez arguably walks into this club potentially as the 2nd best outside back in the squad.

Agreed, but I think Franklin will surprise, he could replace Laryea.

5 hours ago, Corazon said:

When @Watchmen posted he was leaving last week, I was going to mention that he should go to TFC for LB support. 

Now, I just look like a guy who is talking out of his ass 😄

The left back spot with TFC is still up for grabs in my opinion.  Petretta has been inconsistent and the fact he was barely playing (and not well) for Kasimpasa in Turkey makes me think he is not the long term solution for TFC.  Let's hope Gutierrez can take that spot for his own.

I think Petretta has been fine , don’t see what else people wanted this guy to do in the three games he has played . I’ve seen enough of Gutierrez at Vancouver and never impressed was not surprised that Vancouver let him go . However, Bob Bradley was the one who saw something in Kaye and look how well he did under Bradley in LA, maybe he can do the same for Gutierrez let’s see.

He might surprise here.  He's not a great defensive LB (more finesse than a gritty defender) but he's comfortable in possession and can work the ball out of the back under pressure; also has a good cross.  Not a high engine room guy so he's not going to be bombing up and down the flank.  I felt he was misused in Vancouver (MDS had him at LM one game, Vanni had him at RWB in an inverted role then also tried him at LCB) and with the club now being gung ho on having the right footed Raposo at LB, Ahmed showing some promise, and Martins on an ill-advised richer, longer term extension. perhaps he himself may have asked for a move.

Well, here it is and I really hope it works out well for him.

13 hours ago, SoccMan said:

I think Petretta has been fine , don’t see what else people wanted this guy to do in the three games he has played . I’ve seen enough of Gutierrez at Vancouver and never impressed was not surprised that Vancouver let him go . However, Bob Bradley was the one who saw something in Kaye and look how well he did under Bradley in LA, maybe he can do the same for Gutierrez let’s see.

I have only watched the first game, but I thought Petretta was very good. It won't be straight-forward for Gutierrez getting in the side ahead of him. Either way, Toronto now has two capable left backs. That's good from a Toronto FC perspective. From a NT perspective I hope Gutierrez can earn the spot but may the best player win. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Interesting. Those are some nice savings for the Caps. TFC get a talented player on the cheap. Gutierrez gets another chance to prove himself in MLS. This is a win for everybody. 

Dropping down to 85K must sting, but that's the market for the player right now. It's more than he'd get in CPL and possibly in Chile, though that's an assumption. Plus, 85K is in USD, so that's a 6 figure salary which most 25 year olds would sell their soul for, so can't feel too bad for the guy. He also made over a quarter million doars last year, also in USD, so he should be financial sound for a while if he's managed his money properly.

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Interesting. Those are some nice savings for the Caps. TFC get a talented player on the cheap. Gutierrez gets another chance to prove himself in MLS. This is a win for everybody. 

Dropping down to 85K must sting, but that's the market for the player right now. It's more than he'd get in CPL and possibly in Chile, though that's an assumption. Plus, 85K is in USD, so that's a 6 figure salary which most 25 year olds would sell their soul for, so can't feel too bad for the guy. He also made over a quarter million doars last year, also in USD, so he should be financial sound for a while if he's managed his money properly.

No, Gutierrez gets the full amount still. TFC pays 85k, the Whitecaps pay the rest.

35 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

No, Gutierrez gets the full amount still. TFC pays 85k, the Whitecaps pay the rest.

Appreciate the clarification. So really Guti and TFC are the real winners here in that case! I hesitate to call this a win for the Caps if they are paying more for Gutierrez then what they are saving.

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Appreciate the clarification. So really Guti and TFC are the real winners here in that case! I hesitate to call this a win for the Caps if they are paying more for Gutierrez then what they are saving.

I think it will depend on how much he plays.

12 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I think it will depend on how much he plays.

I don't think he will have to play much for this to be deemed a success. I'll say greater than 500 minutes across all competitions and this is a steal. 300-500 minutes in all comps and it's "good" business. Even sub 300 minutes and it's "decent" business. He'd have to basically play 0 minutes in my eyes for this to be a waste of time for TFC.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I don't think he will have to play much for this to be deemed a success. I'll say greater than 500 minutes across all competitions and this is a steal. 300-500 minutes in all comps and it's "good" business. Even sub 300 minutes and it's "decent" business. He'd have to basically play 0 minutes in my eyes for this to be a waste of time for TFC.

Well, he also has to play well. It can't just be limited minutes due to injuries. But, hope it works out for him (except against the Whitecaps). I would have liked to have kept him here, but if the Caps are taking on Yao while bouncing Gutierrez to TFC then at least young Canadians are getting a shot.