Cristián Gutiérrez

Vince193

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Didn't play in yesterday's match and not expected to play this weekend either.

It looks like a slower recovery than expected.

Not looking good for a national team call this window. Maybe October....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

When he's played this year, he's been excellent. His defending is very good, including his one-on-one defending. His passing from the left FB position is superb and his deadball skills are the best on the team. The challenge for him is that he's not especially fast so he can't really play that wingback role that Herdman seems to prefer. Not sure that he could play on the left in a 3-man backline either - he doesn't have strong abilities in the air. But, this guy is a good player with a great attitude and I have to believe he can and will make a contribution to the national team at some point. 

8 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

When he's played this year, he's been excellent. His defending is very good, including his one-on-one defending. His passing from the left FB position is superb and his deadball skills are the best on the team. The challenge for him is that he's not especially fast so he can't really play that wingback role that Herdman seems to prefer. Not sure that he could play on the left in a 3-man backline either - he doesn't have strong abilities in the air. But, this guy is a good player with a great attitude and I have to believe he can and will make a contribution to the national team at some point. 

This is basically my assessment of him, but I like to think he'd bring a different look to both LWB and LCB, rather than questioning if he can do the job there. I think you get a wingback and center back who's more intelligent than fast and physical. Best case senario he can be like Johnston on the right, offering some fluidity. 

However, those questions of him are fair for sure. Furthermore, I think Adekugbe can be this player we are describing as well. 

Will be interesting to see where he eventually fits in. I don't doubt he'll be used sooner or later.

14 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

He's more of a  left sided defender like former Cap Rochat or CNTer Klukowski.  His play on the ball is really strong and he is confident moving it out from the back while under pressure.  He seals off and intercepts passes well and I would say that he is a competent 1 v 1 defender against the dribble.  I don't see him as a LCB in a back three because he loses too many physical aerial challenges.

Unfortunately, he doesn't bounce back quickly from injuries and that needs to be adressed in the off season.

Edited by BearcatSA

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Very happy for Gutierrez. Injuries have held him back from showing the rest of the country/league just how good he is. I’ve been very happy w him since he’s joined the caps.

Unfortunately, he's neck and neck with Godoy in the durability department. I hope that 2022 brings a positive change in that area.  He's brings a good skillset to our program.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, toontownman said:

Great work from Cavallini and Guiterez very unlucky not to score a great goal.

13 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Is this Caps team well coached?

There are signs of serious problems all over the pitch...

13 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Was a bit better 2nd half,

13 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Today was a perfect example of the club results vs development for country....but watching so many Canadians on the pitch made it palatable.  This bodes well for the CMNT...

Would someone be willing to comment specifically on Guti? I obviously didn't watch the game.

The lineup had him at right wing. How often has he played there? I thought he was only a LB/ LWB/LW.

I thought he played well. Finishing is obviously not his strength, otherwise he could have had a couple of goals. Although I do recall him switching sides at one point he was mostly at LB. Saved a goal in the first half by clearing the ball just in front of Andrade. Couple of passes that were too hesitant or too delicate that were cut out, but they weren’t poor choices; otherwise moved the ball well. Don’t recall him getting beat defending (and I can easy recall others getting beat — Ranko, Flo, etc)

Edited by shorty

I thought he was good back there.  Though he did have a first time, right footed shot blocked, that peg is used for standing so I don't see the logic of having such a left footed player playing part of his time on the other flank.  IIRC, his one significant pass giveaway occurred on the right when his left footed pass attempt was intercepted by marker in front him (I think a right footed pass would have bent past his opponent).  He also poses no wide crossing threat on the right with that foot (while the mainly right footed Dajome has shown that he can take it wide on occasion and cross left footed near the by-line).  With this, Sartini/Schuster might be afflicted by the same over-thinking/over-coaching that plagued MDS. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Vanni continues to force players in to positions they aren't suited to. I like Gutierrez but he's not an LCB.  The back 3 formation is not working this year at all, either offensively or defensively.

So Guti is finally back in the starting lineup and he was played at LCB?!?

Did it look like a back 5 for most of the game?

Is Vanni killing his National Team chances by shuffling him around?