Venues For Nov & March WCQ

Tuscan

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh dude, unless you live above the 60th you don't live in the North. 

Not sure if you're taking the piss out of me or if you're in pregame mode already? I've owned an acreage in Peace River, AB since 2014 - just a couple hundred kms shy of your line in the sand. From 2009 to 2014 I was living in a cabin without power or water just north of Whitehorse. Tell me more about what it's like up north.

But anyway, the northern part of our country is an amazing place. I understand all of the logistical and practical reasons detracting from placing a game there, but as somebody who has spent some time up top I can't help but fantasize about what it would be like to have a fixture up there. Playing the Central Americans in the snow at -20 would be special - we'll call it our own kind of Estonia.

Not sure if you're taking the piss out of me or if you're in pregame mode already? I've owned an acreage in Peace River, AB since 2014 - just a couple hundred kms shy of your line in the sand. From 2009 to 2014 I was living in a cabin without power or water just north of Whitehorse. Tell me more about what it's like up north.

But anyway, the northern part of our country is an amazing place. I understand all of the logistical and practical reasons detracting from placing a game there, but as somebody who has spent some time up top I can't help but fantasize about what it would be like to have a fixture up there. Playing the Central Americans in the snow at -20 would be special - we'll call it our own kind of Estonia.

Yes, i am busting your balls. I drove through Peace River with my new truck on the way home from Edmonton back in March. Nice part of the country.

Yeah but the weather sucks enough to give Mexico a hard time. Personally, let's build a facility in Iqaluit for this game.

if we had someone as ballsy as Putin in charge he'd probably would build a Sotchi theme park up there complete with two star hotel with three added stars beside it for the visiting team to stay and of course the state of the art soccer complexe that would be used only for this occasion.  ;)

i have no confidence in mtl. Would throw them a friendly first to see if they can have a pro canada crowd before giving them a wcq

I'm a Montrealer and sad to say I agree with you and take no offense to what you said. First off Montreal is a Latin American hot bed so any Spanish speaking concacaf opponent your play there will have droves of supporters unless we played Caribbean country, except Haiti, like Guyana, Jamaica or Belize... You got dat right Maestro! Also you'd have to make it appealing to the population and have Lefevre, Hainault and Ouimette all play the back line, call up Bekker (and NO Osorio...hehe) and reinstate Bernier rather than JDG1. 

So if Floro says they'll play in Vancouver in March that will put to rest the rumor a Mexican friend told me a few weeks ago that he learned from Mexican sports media that the game was to be held outdoors in Edmonton. Too bad. I'd rather freeze outside and get a result like we did in '08. 

So if Floro says they'll play in Vancouver in March that will put to rest the rumor a Mexican friend told me a few weeks ago that he learned from Mexican sports media that the game was to be held outdoors in Edmonton. Too bad. I'd rather freeze outside and get a result like we did in '08. 

A friend from Edmonton told me about the same rumor. I like this idea but wouldn't be upset if it's in Vancouver again. They earned it.

• 9 months later...

I'll bump this as there are some interesting discussions about venues.

I think the CSA should really start to look at putting together a weather / opponent / venue calendar matrix. What is ideal and what is less attractive. Which venue at which time could walk the line between revenue and home field advantage. 

39 minutes ago, Califax said:

I'll bump this as there are some interesting discussions about venues.

I think the CSA should really start to look at putting together a weather / opponent / venue calendar matrix. What is ideal and what is less attractive. Which venue at which time could walk the line between revenue and home field advantage. 

I get that it is a balancing act, but given our consistent failure to make the WC, someone in authority (at some point) needs to weigh the revenue opportunities of a well-attended game in opposition-friendly territory against the reduced revenue in an opposition-hostile environment - given that the latter is more likely to result in hex (and even WC) qualification and generate much more interest/revenue in the long term.

Given the emphasis on player development, hiring a 'big name' coach for this cycle, etc, it seems like this is a strategy worth trying.  November game in Edmonton?  Give it a whirl.

Now that we are (unfortunately) waiting for the next cycle, maybe we should try this out by seeing how our boys perform in 'fringe' conditions - and even better if we can get some warm-climate opponent to agree to play us in less than ideal conditions. 

Would it mean we automatically get better results?  No.

Is it worth trying, given our persistent challenges in getting better results?  Hell yeah.

14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Now that we are (unfortunately) waiting for the next cycle, maybe we should try this out by seeing how our boys perform in 'fringe' conditions - and even better if we can get some warm-climate opponent to agree to play us in less than ideal conditions. 

The next cycle is what I am waiting for the most, but what about the coming Gold Cup? Showing good in this is a stepping stone to World Cup Qualifier success. What are the qualifying rules for this? Do we need to qualify due to our low FIFA ranking? I am also excited about Camp Poutine. Bringing together our younger players and borderline players can give us a good preview who may be in the mix for the next cycle.

8 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

The next cycle is what I am waiting for the most, but what about the coming Gold Cup? Showing good in this is a stepping stone to World Cup Qualifier success. What are the qualifying rules for this? Do we need to qualify due to our low FIFA ranking? I am also excited about Camp Poutine. Bringing together our younger players and borderline players can give us a good preview who may be in the mix for the next cycle.

We don't need to qualify because of our 2000 win. And I agree about bringing in our younger and dual nationalities players in to cap-tie them.

21 minutes ago, theaub said:

I'd like to see us actually try to bring a competitive team to the Gold Cup next year.  Would be nice to advance out of anything for once...

Yes, we can point out the multitude of problems in this competition again and again but our program is in no way above it and is really the only generational chance to see the team play meaningful tournament games.

Archived