Venues For Nov & March WCQ

Tuscan

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could be wrong but I think the deal with the CSA and BMO goes by ticket sales.  I think there are 3 or 4 targets to hit.  The more tickets sold the higher percentage of $$ they get. So it makes sense to hold more games at BMO to hit the highest target and get the most $$  Again, I may be wrong.  I read about this quite awhile ago.

BC place is still cold in November. Also, as long as skies as clear the roof will be open. Been to a few October matches there when they have had the roof open. Its pretty chilly. Its a good venue if the team wants to build a bigger fanbase, which is something we all want.

I could be wrong but I think the deal with the CSA and BMO goes by ticket sales.  I think there are 3 or 4 targets to hit.  The more tickets sold the higher percentage of $$ they get. So it makes sense to hold more games at BMO to hit the highest target and get the most $$  Again, I may be wrong.  I read about this quite awhile ago.

It's something like that. CSA can fulfill the contract by having 0 games at BMO. The contract is on the Exhibition Place website for all to read, if they want. But where's the fun in that!

The average historic temp. for Vancouver on Nov. 13th is 9C/4C. That is NOT cold. We played Mexico in Edmonton in Nov. 1997 and the temp. was -2C. We played Mexico in Toronto in Nov. 2000 and it was 0C.

Agreed. If wikipedia can be trusted, the daily mean for Vancouver in November is 6.3 Celsius. For Ottawa it's 1.5 Celsius.

This has nothing to do with Vancouver's ability to draw a good pro Canadian crowd and I wouldn't mind doing a road trip there but I think it is ridiculous we are not going to play these Central American teams in the cold weather, we have to use every advantage we have and that is just throwing away a big one, I hope WTR is wrong!

This has nothing to do with Vancouver's ability to draw a good pro Canadian crowd and I wouldn't mind doing a road trip there but I think it is ridiculous we are not going to play these Central American teams in the cold weather, we have to use every advantage we have and that is just throwing away a big one, I hope WTR is wrong!

Agreed!!!

Same here. Hosting WCQs in cities such as Ottawa in November made me cautiously optimistic about the next round. In my opinion the March qualifier should be in Vancouver, because by that point the rest of the country will be too cold.

What's Swangard capacity? I'd rather have small, full, and outside than large, half-full (really mostly empty, but half of soccer capacity) and climate-controlled for a Central American opponent.

5288 according to wikipedia.

I'm not too concerned about where in the country it will be, or whether or not it will be indoors or outdoors, grass or artificial turf, or at a half-full stadium. The one thing that bothers me most is the prospect of it again being mishandled in a manner that results in 'home' games being played in front of large crowds supporting the opposition, which is a distinct possibility if playing against Mexico or Honduras in a big stadium.

It's difficult enough to get a pro-Canadian crowd even at a smaller stadium (like Swangard), and next to impossible at a big stadium -- (unless they try the thing I've mentioned here before, a weekday afternoon game with cheap ticket prices and getting local school boards to make it a field trip for 50,000 kids).

Same here. Hosting WCQs in cities such as Ottawa in November made me cautiously optimistic about the next round. In my opinion the March qualifier should be in Vancouver, because by that point the rest of the country will be too cold.

Anyone get the feeling they are going to stick all 3 games in Vancouver?

Archived