Venues For Nov & March WCQ

Tuscan

I suspect CSA isn't applying enough force. There's no reason they can't use the stadium, given that they have to hold it open for TFC playoffs well into November.  If they want to start an early demolition of the north and south stands, there's still more than enough seats available in the east and west to exceed the attendance at any men's game I can think of.

Then we'd be playing Honduras in November cold in Toronto.

March 25th though is another issue. Stadium will be well under construction by then for the Mexico game.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Conspiracy theory: Dustin Corea signed with FC Edmonton to scout out Edmonton and Canadian weather.

***Sarcasm on the Conspiracy theory thing***

FYI- CSA better contact Shell place in Fort McMurray soon if they want to have the game there, they already tore down the temporary seating, no longer seating 15,000.

yes it is. pics of it were going around this forum a couple months ago.

the NASL Edmonton team played some home games there

FC Edmonton may have played there but I don't know if it is FIFA approved.  Can't find anything on FIFA's list of 84 approved Canadian sites and I can't even find out who the manufacturer of the artificial surface is.  All I can find is infill surface (FieldTurf-like) as a description. 

u581v.jpg

70ay4x.jpg

I just want to make the HEX .....and then go unbeaten until Hutchinson raises the world cup over his head in Russia :) Ask the players where they want to play, make it somewhere cold, make it pro-canadian in the stands, advertise the game, make noise outside the away teams hotel :).......Lets do whatever we have to do this time to get the job done. 

How about Winnipeg, their numbers were solid for the Womens World Cup

The numbers for the Women's World Cup were inflated by the massive numbers of USA fans that made the trip. The crowd for the Canada-USA friendly in May 2014 might be a better indication (and the weather wasn't that much warmer than we might see in November), but the WNT is far more popular and Canada-USA always sells in this city.

The bigger issue with Winnipeg this time is that we are hosting the Grey Cup later in the month. I don't imagine the Bombers and Cup organizers would be thrilled about hosting another sport a few weeks earlier.

I just want to make the HEX .....and then go unbeaten until Hutchinson raises the world cup over his head in Russia :) Ask the players where they want to play, make it somewhere cold, make it pro-canadian in the stands, advertise the game, make noise outside the away teams hotel :).......Lets do whatever we have to do this time to get the job done. 

If you're going to ask the players, they might not want to play in the below zero cold. We are undefeated at BMO Field in Qualifers. If it isn't available, Vancouver is next best choice followed by Montreal. 

Making it pro-Canadian sounds so easy but as BlackOps mentioned, Mexican & Honduras supporters are hard core. Aside from Voyageurs members, Canadians are pretty lame at soccer matches (direct quote from Erin McLeod). 50 Mexicans will and have dominated a stadium of 5k or 10k. 

If you're going to ask the players, they might not want to play in the below zero cold. We are undefeated at BMO Field in Qualifers. If it isn't available, Vancouver is next best choice followed by Montreal. 

Making it pro-Canadian sounds so easy but as BlackOps mentioned, Mexican & Honduras supporters are hard core. Aside from Voyageurs members, Canadians are pretty lame at soccer matches (direct quote from Erin McLeod). 50 Mexicans will and have dominated a stadium of 5k or 10k. 

I wouldn't put MTL as 3rd choice for a CDNMNT match in Canada. Memories of Honduras running stade Saputo still haunt me. Id take Hamilton, Winnipeg, Edmonton all before MTL. Hamilton really supported the women in their friendly vs England as well as pro cdn crowds for the Pan Ams. Lunch bucket city that really loves Canada. 

Hamilton would be nice, city did well with last couple events and it's close enough that toronto supporters should be able to make the trip.

Really I just hope that announce November location this week. I want to go but need to see the budget and time off I could get. The more time people have to plan the better

Hamilton would be nice, city did well with last couple events and it's close enough that toronto supporters should be able to make the trip.

Really I just hope that announce November location this week. I want to go but need to see the budget and time off I could get. The more time people have to plan the better

Exactly. Put the information out ASAP so people can plan around. If it is anywhere in Ontario or Quebec I will go. If out west, I might be able to afford it but porbably not well see. 

I think this whole idea of playing a November home game in as cold a condition as possible isn't what I would personally recommend.  Edmonton would be north enough.  This is spoken by someone who has been to Fort Mac many many times, and could easily get there again.

I think it's more about fan revenge for their brutal playing conditions, and a bit of comeuppance for those conditions.  Shoe is on the other foot scenario.  And I totally get that, but I think getting a decent crowd should also be considered, so the boys get a lot of support, and I certainly think Fort Mac does not check that box. 

Hamilton would be a good setting if BMO isn't available.  It's an outdoor stadium so the weather will work to our advantage and it's not the kind of city that other countries can come into and raise the flag.  That kind of thing won't fly in Hamilton.  There would definately be a home field advantage.

Like Winnipeg, Hamiltonians will show up for a National Team event and it's close enough for the Toronto supporters to make it.

• 2 months later...

Obviously this was too early to decide, but weather in the Prairies is beautiful right now for that cold Canadian advantage. No snow and just dipping into the minuses.  

except in Calgary, where we are getting a Chinook and the day time high is suppose to be 12 degrees.

Not that we ever stand a chance of hosting anyways :)

Obviously this was too early to decide, but weather in the Prairies is beautiful right now for that cold Canadian advantage. No snow and just dipping into the minuses.  

It's not even that cold here yet. Low tonight for Peace River is ~5 below. This time next week we are due for 15 below.

Personally, I would really dig a northern venue: St John's, Ft Mac, Whitehorse ; ) 

It's not even that cold here yet. Low tonight for Peace River is ~5 below. This time next week we are due for 15 below.

Personally, I would really dig a northern venue: St John's, Ft Mac, Whitehorse ; ) 

I would have crapped my pants if they announced a game in Fort McMurray (more so because I live here)

You may find this picky, but I can't help myself....

St. John's is NOT a northern venue. It has a lower latitude than Calgary, Alberta.

Archived