Venues For Nov & March WCQ

Tuscan

Hmmm, I just realized I went to 3 of the last 4 games in and around Vancouver - the loss to Brazil in Seattle (Rob Friend! DeGuzman!) in 2008, a friendly loss to Honduras in 2005 and the notorious 2-0 defeat to Guatemala in 2004 (damn Carlos Ruiz, damn CSA and their salsa band warming up the crowd prior to the match). Amazing that it has been 10 years since a competitive match in BC.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a second I forgot how shit the support was for the Women in Vancouver.

Even if the support for the Men sucks too, at least I feel better knowing Vancouver is a small, isolated city that's hard to get to. It's not very diverse and the weather is brutal - worst in Canada I reckon. The central americans are going to be so frozen they won't even bother to dive!

Hmmm, I just realized I went to 3 of the last 4 games in and around Vancouver - the loss to Brazil in Seattle (Rob Friend! DeGuzman!) in 2008, a friendly loss to Honduras in 2005 and the notorious 2-0 defeat to Guatemala in 2004 (damn Carlos Ruiz, damn CSA and their salsa band warming up the crowd prior to the match). Amazing that it has been 10 years since a competitive match in BC.

the pro-canadian crowd, right?

^ It was a pro-Canadian crowd actually, which made the CSA's decision to hire a salsa band all the more mystifying. The good old days of Kevin Pipe.

On another note, weather-wise, having lived in Vancouver, Saskatoon and Edmonton, I would rather be in the glorious -10C sunshine of the prairies than a 3C rainy November day in Vancouver. Not sure how the Central Americans would feel though.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_men%27s_national_soccer_team_match_results

November date:

1) Already rumours about Ottawa from Rollins.

2) WWC: Besides the travelling American support and to a certain extent for the Canada game as well, Montréal crowds were underwhelming for the FIFA 2015 Women's World Cup. The CSA will likely reward Ottawa for showing up at the WWC. Despite El Hombre's thoughts on this, I think the CSA likes Ottawa.

3) If Wikipedia is correct, Ottawa has not had a game since June 1989 (before I was born!).

I say Ottawa

March date:

1)Where have matches been played at home (on Canadian soil)between January and April since 1990?

April 1992 Victoria BC (China)

March 1993 Vancouver and Victoria ( x2 South Korea)

April 1993 Vancouver (Honduras)

January 1995 Torontox2  (Denmark and Portugal)

April 1997 (Vancouver x2) (El Salvador and Jamaica)

To make things easier, I've counted Burnaby as Vancouver. That makes

Vancouver x4

Victoria x2

Toronto  x2

The CSA is a creature of habbit.

2)The field will be ready for the Whitecaps in early March while at the same time the CFL(BC Lions) will not have started play yet. Easy to schedule.

3)No chance of below -10C and snow. The CSA does not want to freeze our opponent to and the crowd to death. Fort Mac and Winnipeg sadly aren't happening.

I say Vancouver

September date:

If the players didn't really hate the turf at the other venues, and are willing to play on the hybrid-turf-stuff that will be setup in Toronto then it's back to BMO Field!

I say Toronto

^^^^ artifcial field turf fields are nothing like the desso grassmaster that would be installed at bmo

Desso is upward of 95%grass and 5% turf fibre. Its not artificial. Im sure the players would be "ok" with it seeing as the biggest teams in the world play on it

Vancouver won'y happen as a venue. As much as everybody is thinkin climate, its the coaches yhat decide the venue over weather, logistics, etc. The only reason Vancover got WCQ games was because Bobby L was coach and he preferred all the matches at Swangard due to his homerism for the city. Also if they do pick van again, expect the supporters to outnumber local support, as for one there's more Mexicans and Central American migrants that have moved to the city over thr last decade. Most of them don't attend Caps matched sadly but will attend there parents national team. I honestly would prefer if Floro played in Labrador or Ottawa, like the US plays there home games in Columbus. The more local support and less ethnic support the better the players are. I still remember the Canada vs Peru friendly and 2/3 to 3/4 were Peruvian supporters at BMO.

Vancouver won'y happen as a venue. As much as everybody is thinkin climate, its the coaches yhat decide the venue over weather, logistics, etc. The only reason Vancover got WCQ games was because Bobby L was coach and he preferred all the matches at Swangard due to his homerism for the city.

Lenarduzzi wasn't coaching Canada in 2004. I'm just wondering, what is the best outdoor stadium in the Vancouver region?

Lenarduzzi wasn't coaching Canada in 2004. I'm just wondering, what is the best outdoor stadium in the Vancouver region?

Sorry meant 1993 and 1998 Van dates. Technically BC place is an outdoor stadium, but with retractable roofing. Honestly, Empire Stadium was the ideal outdoor stadium but it was a temporary facility. The only venue I can think of that could hold outdoor events is Swangard, but even then Swangard is in major need of a facelift.

^^^^ artifcial field turf fields are nothing like the desso grassmaster that would be installed at bmo

Desso is upward of 95%grass and 5% turf fibre. Its not artificial. Im sure the players would be "ok" with it seeing as the biggest teams in the world play on it

Since I finally saw that it was public information, BMO field will not be hybrid grass next season or maybe ever.

I mean if it is Mexico and CSA wants to make money, Rogers Centre is a viable choice especially on a Friday night.

Unless the Jays want to install a dirt infield for 2016 now that the Argos are gone

They haven't even invented how they are going to do it, won't be there in 2016.

Rogers Centre makes sense as while it'll be a pro mexican crowd, it'll be money in the CSA's pockets.

They haven't even invented how they are going to do it, won't be there in 2016.

Rogers Centre makes sense as while it'll be a pro mexican crowd, it'll be money in the CSA's pockets.

He said dirt infield, not grass. Grass won't be happening next year, dirt infield may be happening next year.

The Jays are thinking about still using artificial turf next year, but since the Argos are leaving they can use a dirt infield. It doens't require sunlight or any conditions to grow. The only other turf field, in Tampa Bay uses a dirt in field. Its easier on the players bodies.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-mulling-installation-of-dirt-infield/

Blue Jays mulling installation of dirt infield

— Logistical issues won’t allow the Toronto Blue Jays to fast-track plans for a natural grass playing surface, but installing a dirt infield in the interim is something they’re examining.

While nothing is set in stone, the intriguing possibility is opened up by the Toronto Argonauts’ departure for BMO Field in 2016, two years ahead of schedule.

That won’t change the 2018 goal for putting grass into Rogers Centre, as first reported by Brendan Kennedy of the Toronto Star. Resolving issues such as ventilation, humidity control and the development of a sustainable turf blend all require time.

But putting in a dirt infield — no small task in its own right — might be possible before then with the Argos leaving after this season.

Victoria -- Cool temperatures but not freezing. Centennial Stadium is a decent pitch and temporary stands can be brought in. Hosted  Rangers last year and FIFA events previously. Would be a very strong home crowd I imagine.More difficult to get to Vic than Van from Seattle..

Barely cool and most likely to be rainy and windy. Centennial sucks as a venue. Even if it is in my back yard I would prefer BC Place where we have a chance to fill a decent stadium.

Regarding travel Soro17 hit it spot on:

It is actually easier to get to Vic than Van from Seattle. There is a direct ferry from downtown to downtown.

And lots of direct flights.

Damn.  I just realized I will be on a cruise during the November dates.  It will be just my luck that the games will be in Winnipeg and I won't even be here.  I see Winnipeg as a long shot, but if it happens I will have an empty house for travelling V's  :D

I would like to see the matches in Hamilton and not just for selfish reasons, the players would fly in to Toronto as per usual, THF has proven to be a decent soccer venue and the crowds have been pro Canadian and boisterous!

I echo your position Gator, and would hope despite the turf we could get a similar turnout in the Hammer that we got for the Gold Cup due to the proximity to Toronto. November could work, as The Ti-Cats only have 1 game on Sunday Nov 1st and potentially 1 Home Playoff game either on Sun Nov 15th or Sun Nov 22nd. If you could book it for Sat/Sun Nov 7/8th, it would be perfect. Cold field advantage could also be a factor.

Sadly, there wasn't nearly as many people from TO that I could see that made the trip for the Pan-Ams (but then again, that's a different beast and we couldn't start up a supporters section). I would think Montreal or Vancouver would be where it would default to if BMO is unavailable. As much as I am a "Modern Turf is fine" supporter, Grass, or it being indoors would likely win the day over Tim Horton's Field, barring Bob Young spending money to get the game.

As far as March is concerned...yeah...it's going to Rogers Centre or BC Place. I have doubts that Hamilton will be free of snow in March.

^^^^ highly doubt the game is in mtl. The CSA still has nightmares from honduras 2008. Early indications are its in ottawa and the players are on board with artificial turf. (Namely de guzman). And him being the captain speaks a lot.

Also highly doubt march is at the rogers centre. Rogers probably charges up the ass and that will be just before mlb season opens. The fifa window is march 21 to 29. Mlb season opens end of march and it looks like the jays will be opening at home. Takes a couple of days for the jays to set up opening day. The csa will want to use bmo not being avail as an excuse to move the games around. My bet is bc place.

Of course being from hamilton im biased and would love thf to get a game. We put on a good show for wwc prep game and pan ams.

Finally watching the final game of the PNC for Canada and I can't help but think how cool it would be to have a game at Swangard. With a relatively small investment in temporary seating along the far side and both ends you could have around 7K packed in. If the V's took up the far side it would make for a very loud atmosphere with the sound of "Allez, allez, allez les Rouges allez" bouncing off the main grandstand. Have a long presale only available to Canadian addresses combined with strong cooperation between the V's and all the VWFC supporters groups and it could make for a really great experience. Mind you I've never been there so I could just be dreaming.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting. Well for selfish purposes I won't mind the short flight out from Calgary, but i'm concerned of potential away support coming up from Washington state.

Sounds like this is finally your chance Van City. Don't waste it and put your money where your mouth is. I believe there's potential there after the WWC showings..here's to hoping it's realized!

Vancouver deserves nothing. No city is entitled to any game.

Isn't there a deal with BMO Field and the CSA, where Toronto is actually entitled to a certain number of games?  Henceforth, making Toronto entitled to games?

Archived