Venues For Nov & March WCQ

Tuscan

I rarely post but I could not agree more with the sentiment of this board.

1) Direct flights from Mexico city - Van City.  Also, Northern Cali loaded with Hondurans, as in HUGE population, biggest outside of Honduras.

2) Is CSA thinking let's sell out the stadium for revenue and feed off the WWC? Well why don't you use your home field advantage, sneak into the hex and generate 5x the revenue by making the HEX. Imagine a match Canada vs T&T or Jamaica in Vancouver, with proper marketing that could very well be a sell out and you eliminate the Toronto-Jamaican fan base..  

3) Ottawa really made a lot of sense for the November game, just disappointing for so many reasons if true. 

At the same time, we need to get there first, GAME DAY TODAY!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's make sure we have blue blankets to hand out in the stadium too, just in case it is unseasonably cold in BC place.  We wouldn't want the Hondurans to be uncomfortable.  I mean they only embarrassed our whole program last WCQ and set us back 20 years, maybe we can get a Honduran celebrity to sing the anthem too?  

What a farce.. 

Agree with the general sentiment : Next round's home matches should be played in cold (outdoor) conditions.  What was the CSA's thinking here?  Did the players not like the other options (Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa)?  We need reporters to ask this question.

All this assumes that it is Vancouver that has been chosen for November.  However, it is not like the CSA has a good track record on venue choice for WCQs.

Let's make sure we have blue blankets to hand out in the stadium too, just in case it is unseasonably cold in BC place.  We wouldn't want the Hondurans to be uncomfortable.  I mean they only embarrassed our whole program last WCQ and set us back 20 years, maybe we can get a Honduran celebrity to sing the anthem too?  

What a farce.. 

Agree! We need to freeze those guys out, how fast  some forget the show boating and humiliation in the Honduran heat!

Part of me says I wish they played the game in Winnipeg, Edmonton, Ottawa, Fort Mac, Hamilton due to the weather.

But BC drew over 20,000 for womens Olympic qualifying. They sold out all pro Canada crowds for the WWC. The whitecaps constantly sell 20,000 tix. If they can pack the place with a pro Canadian crowd it will be ok IMO. And recent history has shown Vancouver has come out to support Canadian soccer.

And there is still the chance that one of the other colder venues gets selected for March.

Sadly, the women didn't exactly elevate their game with the additional support and I don't expect the men to react any better...cold weather would have a much greater impact

We think it would. and we would hope it would

but really there is no guarantee.

I mean its not like our players are playing in those conditions year round either.

I mean its not like our players are playing in those conditions year round either.

Well, we are supporters and like to think we're a positive for the team of course.  :) At least our players wouldn't be freaked out by the cold whereas the players from hot climes might react as badly in the cold as we do in the heat and humidity and high elevations.

Just for those advocating St. John's (my hometown).

November is actually not a terrible month, especially over the last few years. Snow and cold temps have been coming later and later into the year and we've had more than 1 green Xmas.

Sure the wind may be "blowing a gale" off of Quidi Vidi with a low temp due to wind chill, but I am not quite sure that will be more advantageous than the weather in Winnipeg or Edmonton during November.

March is another story :) like I said, everything happens later. While cities on the mainland are showing signs of Spring, St. John's is firmly in Winter. It probably wouldn't even be playable to be honest.

+ 10000

I wonder what the cost/revenue difference would be

Cheaper to operate the game at Swangaurd.

It's grass

7000 at $xx  vs 15000-20 000 at $xx dollars.  If you can get even that many out.

What are the xx's going to be make it worthwhile to do for a home crowd on grass.

Is there any reason to think they cant put temporary seating on the tree side to bump it to 8 grand?

Costs got up. Hire more security, logistics ect....

The reason to go to Swanny is the small numbers to begin with to try and game the home crowd and play on grass.

Looking at their current player pool there are a lot of guys who have more than likely never played in the cold before.  Guys who have played domestically in Honduras or warmer countries their whole career.  Playing your first match in bitter cold during a WCQ would be a brutal experience, a couple stomps on cold toes some burning lungs from the cold air.  At least our players have all lived/played in cold conditions.  

Is it possible the CSA takes $ from other federations?  We are doing them favours constantly.  When they saw they had to play us away in November they were worried no doubt, and we just let them off the hook and evened the playing field.  

Imagine if we went down to Central America and they played us indoor with AC?  LMAO, even if they had it they never would.

You know, i'm an advocate for playing in the coldest, most uncomortable conditions possible. However, a part of me feels that given the dates, any place in Canada will be cold for the typical Honduran or Salvadorian domestic (apart from under the roof at BC place).

Another thought: How will cold outdoor weather suit away support? Do we know roughly what percentage actually come up from Central America versus those who live/were born in Canada?

To add to that, even if Central Americans make their way up to Canada to see their team play outside in Edmonton or Winnipeg, I wonder how much they will actually be in the game? The sun would be down, temps will drop, perhaps that cuts into their energy levels?

Archived