Venues For Nov & March WCQ

Tuscan

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's make sure we have blue blankets to hand out in the stadium too, just in case it is unseasonably cold in BC place.  We wouldn't want the Hondurans to be uncomfortable.  I mean they only embarrassed our whole program last WCQ and set us back 20 years, maybe we can get a Honduran celebrity to sing the anthem too?  

What a farce.. 

Better yet, let's install a glass roof at BC Place, so we can turn the stadium into a greenhouse. Crank up the humidifier too while we're at it. Don't stop until we reach 33C and 100% humidity.

My opinion for perspective: No matter where you play they will come. Just think how crazy the people on this board are for CANADIAN soccer and will travel. In THEIR countries soccer is LIFE bigger than hockey is for us Canadians. So it's like a Voyageur but on serious steroids. I don't see them driving 12 hours or more a problem to see live in person their heroes. I was at the Honduras friendly in Burnaby in 2005 and yeah I'd have to say close to half were loud Hondurans. We lost. I was at the WCQ in Oct 08 vs Sven Eriksons Mexico in Edmonton and we should've won that game but drew 2-2. By that time the game was almost meaningless cause it was near the end and we were already out not to mention the dissent against that coach at the time. Anyways my point w the Edmonton game was we were winning that game and could have made it 3 goals if Radz didn't miss on a golden chance. Yes it was chilly. Yes the weather played a factor I'm certain. And yes there were a large group of Mexcians that made the journey from all over. Even if we outnumber them in the stadium they're louder and have their songs and their passion where as the Canadians in the crowd are more spectators wanting to see a show and are not as boisterous or find it a little "disturbing". In the end YES we need to play outdoors to improve our odds! CSA would be stupid not to. And given that are boys are good Canadian boys they'll suck it up and stick it to them.

... Is it possible the CSA takes $ from other federations?  We are doing them favours constantly.

I doubt we would ever find out if they did. But given recent events and the fact that so many of these types of questionable decisions have been made in the past, it's sometimes difficult to not be suspicious about whose interests they're serving.  

Is it really more believable that the CSA is taking bribes from other federations to put qualifiers in a better environment than the CSA simply thinking that cooler temperatures isn't that big of an advantage? Or that they really haven't thought through the possible advantages at all? Or that they've done a bit of a costs benefits analysis and decided that the small advantage of a colder venue would potentially be offset by the advantage lost due to a smaller crowd?

It seems the forum has regressed into a series of bizarre runaway trains.

I doubt we would ever find out if they did. But given recent events and the fact that so many of these types of questionable decisions have been made in the past, it's sometimes difficult to not be suspicious about whose interests they're serving.  

Every single WCQ has been held at BMO in the recent past. Now ONE game is in Van City and people are wondering if the CSA is getting kickbacks from other federations because we are choosing to play our home games where the other federations want?

Guys take off the tin foil hats. Come on

I think playing in Thunder Bay, St, John, Newfoundland, Saskatoon or moncton is where the Nats should play there game. If rhe CSA wants just as much money as possible, and don't care if the home team gets booed or jeered from opposing fans, then Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto or Montreal are best to be played.

The point isn't whether it's easier or harder for the Honduran fans to travel to the game because what goes on in the stands is alot less meaningful than what happens on the field. In my experience when temp. drops below 5C it has a notable effect on latin american teams and that is a massive advantage whether there are 90% hondurans in the stands or not.

Every single WCQ has been held at BMO in the recent past. Now ONE game is in Van City and people are wondering if the CSA is getting kickbacks from other federations because we are choosing to play our home games where the other federations want?

Guys take off the tin foil hats. Come on

You're missing the point. This isn't a "fuck Vancouver for the sake of it" argument. If Van had freezing temp. in Nov. that would be awesome, but they do not. We NEED to take advantage of any opportunity given and in this case it's scheduling home games in cold weather months where there is actually cold weather.

edit: by the way there was only two qualifiers in Toronto between 1993 and 2011. So cry me a fuckin river.

The thing that most are forgetting or choosing to overlook is that it's been known in the past that our players have influence with regard to where games are played and this is unlikely to change.  Therefore, it's very reasonable to expect that the games will be in a large city... maybe even limited to one of the big 3.  As far as that goes, if it makes our players significantly more comfortable then that is probably more important than making the opposition less comfortable.

Ok let's at least say that the notion the CSA is taking kick backs from other federations is completely absurd and surprisingly reasonable for some of the conspiracy garbage that shows up on here. Next, I agree that cooler temperatures does play in our favour. Not as much as hot, humid temps do for them against us, but it still gives us some type of edge. Should we be going to places like Kingston or St. John's? Only if the CSA is willing to invest a lot of marketing dollars to the locals and set a ticket limit on away support. If the Honduras game ends up in Vancouver? Great. There will be expectations of the soccer supporters there to make sure it is a partisan Canadian home crowd. If the game ends up in Ottawa? Great. There will be expectations of the soccer supporters in Ottawa AND the GTA to make sure it is a partisan Canadian home crowd. Same with Hamilton. Winnipeg? Boy that's a toughy. Winterpeg's even a bit far of a drive for either us Saskabush folks or them pig-fucking Reginans. Flight's not worth it either.

I'm all for the CSA putting the matches in relatively small communities/ venues. Stop thinking about profit, it's Canadian Soccer FFS you shouldn't be in the Canadian soccer business to be rakeing in dollars. Start thinking about improving your odds to win by using this to our advantage and make a WC that's when you'll make coin. Fort Mac, Moncton and St Johns I'm down with that. I would be interested to hear what the players would feel about that. Yeah so what you don't get those luxuries like at BMO just suck it up get the job done and make the Latinos freeze. Heck my wife is Latina and she is already freezing! It's GAME

DAY baby!

You're missing the point. This isn't a "fuck Vancouver for the sake of it" argument. If Van had freezing temp. in Nov. that would be awesome, but they do not. We NEED to take advantage of any opportunity given and in this case it's scheduling home games in cold weather months where there is actually cold weather.

edit: by the way there was only two qualifiers in Toronto between 1993 and 2011. So cry me a fuckin river.

lmao I could care less about qualifiers in Toronto. Im happy they're moved around the country.

im just saying ridiculous to think the CSA is taking direction from concacaf opponents as to where to host our home games

EDIT: wait now that I read your post again you're making it seem that im angry Toronto gets all the qualifiers?

im from the GTA..... I was happy Toronto held games, I attended them all.

lay off the "cry me a river" comments. I aint crying. im happy the games were in Toronto. im happy van city gets a chance.

no crying here

My opinion for perspective: No matter where you play they will come.

We lost. I was at the WCQ in Oct 08 vs Sven Eriksons Mexico in Edmonton and we should've won that game but drew 2-2. By that time the game was almost meaningless cause it was near the end and we were already out not to mention the dissent against that coach at the time.

You forgot that the Mexican fans brought their inflatable doll  :)

No amount of cold or other mind games will dissuade their fans. They are hard core. 

Instead of having the fans and CSA figure out what works best for our team lets ask our players. Give them the surface and conditions that they want not some SWAG by us fans or CSA as to what might work best. I know that means I'll probably not get to see them out west as I'm sure the majority would choose Toronto or Montreal just for the playing surface but why not?

lmao I could care less about qualifiers in Toronto. Im happy they're moved around the country.

im just saying ridiculous to think the CSA is taking direction from concacaf opponents as to where to host our home games

EDIT: wait now that I read your post again you're making it seem that im angry Toronto gets all the qualifiers?

im from the GTA..... I was happy Toronto held games, I attended them all.

lay off the "cry me a river" comments. I aint crying. im happy the games were in Toronto. im happy van city gets a chance.

no crying here

Stop crying bud

You forgot that the Mexican fans brought their inflatable doll  :)

No amount of cold or other mind games will dissuade their fans. They are hard core. 

Yeah, no kidding, I didn't forget that. That REALLY pissed me off especially the fact that actually one of them had a Canada jersey and placed it on the doll like their little trophy! I saw them post game singing and jumping around in the hall of Commonwealth with it as if they just destroyed us when they were just lucky to get a result. I wanted to just grab it but yeah against a pack of 2 dozen cholo Mexicanos that would gang rape me just like they did the doll prior to the game would not have been a wise move.

Putting aside geography, there are other issues.

One is the grass.  Unless they are playing at Swangard (and I'm fine if they do), then they are playing on astroturf.

The other is the results. Canada has played 10 World Cup Qualifiers in Toronto since BMO opened, without a single loss. In the last 12 matches at BMO, there hasn't been a loss.  Clearly the national team performs well there. Why would we want to upset that?

Archived