Tesho Akindele

Multiple media state that after asking Akindele about the CMNT tonight in Vancouver that Akindele has told them that the CSA has not contacted him about the CMNT.

Wow, just wow.

Good god. Might be time to break out the "Sack the CSA" shirt again.

I dont blame Floro for not making contact to date.  His success is very recent.  If he doesnt get a call before the end of the year, we break out the shirts

You kind of have a point in that he barely played in March and April, but for the last 3 months he's been a starter and now has 3 goals in 13 games. Plus he was the 6th overall pick and you'd think they (not just Floro, but Fonseca et al) would have at least known he was eligible for us.

You kind of have a point in that he barely played in March and April, but for the last 3 months he's been a starter and now has 3 goals in 13 games. Plus he was the 6th overall pick and you'd think they (not just Floro, but Fonseca et al) would have at least known he was eligible for us.

I don't understand why it is so hard for the CSA to keep in touch with players about where they stand. Does it really take that much effort? FFS he is in our system, has played for our youth national teams, did they suddenly lose his contact info? Seriously.

Okay, maybe I am just unaware of how these things work, but if I was in charge, I would have already sent him an email (at the very least) to notify him that he's on the radar for a potential call up this fall. Hell, it doesn't have to be a personal email, a mass email to everyone in the pool that might be called up would do just fine. 

Maybe this is what they do but it's too early, I don't know. It just seems strange that a guy who is scoring and getting plenty of minutes in MLS hasn't even received contact from the CSA. Very amateur on their part.

First time I had a chance to see him for a full game against Vancouver, he was pretty anonymous, although Dallas were playing a counter-attacking game. Seemed to hold up the ball well and had some smooth touches.

Yea Dallas lined up with a 5-3-2 so he was pretty hard to notice.

I thought he looked good vs Vancouver and I watched him carefully away from the ball through much of he match. He reminds me a bit of OO; he's big and athletic but also looks to have a bit of deceptively nice touch to him. I particularly liked some of the diagonal runs he made which tended to open up space for guys like Perez. He also tracked as far back as his own box on many occasions and showed a lot of passion in his play, a la RT.

has someone asked Tesho if he has a canadian passport?

Saying a statement such as, "does he have a Canadian passport",  is actually a euphemism for "is he a Canadian citizen". If he was born in Calgary, he is by default a Canadian citizen, unless he has for some reason relinquished his citizenship. Therefore, whether or not he is physically in possession of a Canadian "passport" - i.e. an official identification document, issued by a state, primarily for the purpose of international travel - is irrelevant.

Tesho Akindele’s come from obscurity to No. 1 option for FC Dallas Saturday, July 26, 2014
By Marc Weber, The Province

10066289.jpg?size=mobile290
New England Revolution defender Stephen McCarthy, right, and FC Dallas forward Tesho Akindele battle during last week’s MLS game in Frisco, Texas.

Tesho Akindele, the FC Dallas forward, is no stranger to B.C.

Growing up, he spent every summer in Kelowna, tubing on Okanagan Lake. His grandparents on his mom’s side live right on the water.

So Sunday at B.C. Place (2 p.m., TSN, TEAM 1410) represents a homecoming of sorts for the 24-year-old rookie. He was born in Calgary, spent time in Toronto and Winnipeg, and moved to the Denver area at age eight, where he’s been ever since.

He’ll have plenty of family from B.C. and Alberta in town for the game, and the timing couldn’t be better.

Akindele’s started eight straight matches for Dallas, who are unbeaten in five. And he’s scored in each of the last two games — wins over Philadelphia and New England — his second and third goals of the MLS season.

“Everyone’s coming in for the game,” he said after Saturday’s sunny practice at UBC.

“It’s a huge one.

“The beginning of the season I wasn’t playing much, so they didn’t know if they were going to come. But we’ve had some injuries and suspensions, and I got my chance and I think I’ve done well.”

Akindele was the talk of the MLS pre-draft combine in January because he came from obscurity — the NCAA Div. II Colorado School of Mines, where he starred for the Orediggers and studied electrical engineering.

After a strong combine Dallas picked him sixth overall, which surprised the player himself. But he’s justifying their faith and his status as the highest-ever drafted D2 player.

Aside from his MLS success, he’s played a key role in U.S. Open Cup wins over Houston and Carolina.

“He’s not playing like a rookie right now,” defender Matt Hedges told MLSsoccer.com. “He gives us another option that we haven’t had before. He’s a very athletic player, but also confident with the ball.”

Akindele play of late has also caught the attention of Canadian coaches.

In 2009, he attended a U-17 training camp. He’s been off the radar since, but his first senior call-up under Benito Floro can’t be far off.

“The front office was telling me the Canadian coaches were asking about me, so hopefully it’s in the future,” he said.

The son of a Nigerian father and Canadian mother, Akindele said he has a good soccer mentor in Dallas in strike partner Blas Perez, 33.

The veteran Panamanian international has 25 goals in 63 career MLS games and an even better strike rate for his country.

“He’s been playing soccer pretty much as long as I’ve been alive,” said Akindele, who like Perez is around 6-foot-2 with a strong build.

“He’s just been the nicest player on and off the field, always giving me advice.

“Having the support of my teammates, and of (coach) Oscar (Pareja) has been great. They’re letting me believe in myself.”

As a freshman in college, Akindele took part in the “M-Climb,” where students carry a 10-pound rock a couple of miles up Mt. Zion in Golden, Colo., while upperclassmen throw paint at them.

It’s supposed to symbolize the struggle students must endure to reach their goals. At graduation, they return to retrieve a rock to keep.

For Akindele, that part of the tradition will have to wait. He has a few classes to go, and some business to take care of first.

“Maybe in like 20 years I’ll go back and get a rock,” he said. “You can be an engineer when you’re 60. You can only play soccer for so long.”

© Copyright © The Province

Edited by tovan1

Multiple media state that after asking Akindele about the CMNT tonight in Vancouver that Akindele has told them that the CSA has not contacted him about the CMNT.

Wow, just wow.

What sources?  I googled it and couldn't find anything.  If there's multiple media stating that then it should be easy to find, no?

weber has zero soccer credibility in my view, he's almost as bad as molinaro

The article quotes Akindele himself, who was told by the Dallas front office that Canadian coaching staff had contacted them.  I don't see how that isn't credible...?

He needs a passport for all official fifa matches

You know, I could see FIFA using possession of a passport as their way of validating citizenship. However, I would think they would probably accept validation of citizenship via other official documents as well.

If you can provide a link that states it's specifically the passport that FIFA requires that would be great.

Also September's games are friendlies, thus they're not official matches - i.e. he won't be cap-tied - anyways, no?

Edited by A_Gagne

You know, I could see FIFA using possession of a passport as their way of validating citizenship. However, I would think they would probably accept validation of citizenship via other official documents as well.

If you can provide a link that states it's specifically the passport that FIFA requires that would be great.

Also September's games are friendlies, thus they're not official matches - i.e. he won't be cap-tied - anyways, no?

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/01/47/38/17/regulationsfwcbrazil2014_update_e_neutral.pdf

it's for World Cup, but I can't see why the rules don't apply for all FIFA sanctioned matches. I'm ok with being proven wrong though