Tesho Akindele

When asked if he would play against Jamaica if called:

"It's definitely something I am interested in, but right now we're in the mist of a long MLS season so, if everything works out with my club, I think that would be a good opportunity for me"

To me, he doesn't sound particularly passionate about playing for Canada, but there is some level of interest. Playing against Jamaica would indeed be a good opportunity for him at this stage of his career. Hopefully for him (and for us) he stays healthy and gets called in. If he can establish himself in our system now, he could feature in our Gold Cup squad next year. From there, his stock could really rise, especially if he can bag a few goals in the tournament.

"I've got family in Nigeria, I’ve lived in the U.S., and I was born in Canada, so I guess I’m pretty international," he said. "Nobody else has called me, so I’d say I’m leaning towards Canada.

"I came back to Canada every summer to visit my grandparents. I have a ton of family here. I feel pretty Canadian, so I love the country."

FULL STORY: http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4173/canadian-national-team/2014/07/30/4992562/akindele-no-one-from-canada-has-called-me-yet

Edited by Rudi

"I've got family in Nigeria, I’ve lived in the U.S., and I was born in Canada, so I guess I’m pretty international," he said. "Nobody else has called me, so I’d say I’m leaning towards Canada.

"I came back to Canada every summer to visit my grandparents. I have a ton of family here. I feel pretty Canadian, so I love the country."

When I was 14, my family was going to relocate to the U.S. If that happened our stories would be very very similar (Family in Nigeria, born in Canada etc.). As in turns out, I now have family that's been living there for many years, and siblings who are American also.

Anywho, I can really appreciate what this guy is saying. With so many options, his approach is to accept whoever calls him first, with the default being Canada since he was born here. That is good news for us with our September friendly looming. 

I want Tesho in our camp bc we dont have depth at striker. We do have lots of strikers similar to Tesho like Jackson and Ricketts etc. But Tesho has higher ceiling the way he is developing esp with Blas Perez teaching him how to play hold up role and use his body physically. Also has pace.

He'll get time at dallas. If he doesnt get 10 goals this season, he should get 10 next season w/ regular mins. He will be our main striker for 2018 cycle with the data we have right now.

Looking at it as an American, I think Canada's biggest problem isn't lack of skill so much as lack of athleticism. Akindele and Finlay would both add some wheels. 

Interesting perspective. That is not a view I share of our squad but perhaps I can't see the forest through the trees.

Players I would classify as athletic in our pool would be

Ricketts

Jackson (borderline perhaps)

Randy Edwini Bonsu

Henry

Morgan (again..borderline)

Wow, maybe you have a point. Coming up with a list of players i'd classify as athletic was harder than I expected. Guess you could throw Larin and Petrasso in there, perhaps Kyle Porter as well, but those first two aren't really active enough in our squad yet, while the latter has just fallen off the face of the earth it seems.

Too bad Simpson is no longer around. We all considered him to have freakish, world class pace. However, at the 2011 gold cup Cherundolo easily contained him during the group stage. That made me re-evaluate my definition of "world class pace" and consider how much pace you really need to beat top level defenders.

Edited by Obinna

Yeah he's fit in that regard, and of course has great hops and very good pace, but I am not quite sure he has the pace of someone like Darren Mattocks or Kekuta Manneh. I believe Ricketts and REB have that kind of pace. Jackson? Not quite.

Jackson also has a better first touch then all those guys and can hit a ball better as well. Kekuta Manneh and REB might be better dribblers though.

• 2 weeks later...

We've got what? A month until the Jamaica game? Hopefully Klinsmann ignores him until then.

He better get capped in that game though.

Even if he does, that won't cap-tie him to us, and I'm sure that JK will have no qualms about making a pitch to him after that game, if that's what it takes.

Even if he does, that won't cap-tie him to us, and I'm sure that JK will have no qualms about making a pitch to him after that game, if that's what it takes.

If he isn't a US citizen the moment he plays for the MNT, even for a friendly, it's my understanding that he will be cap-tied to us.

If he isn't a US citizen the moment he plays for the MNT, even for a friendly, it's my understanding that he will be cap-tied to us.

I believe that the rule you quote is correct ... I just thought / assumed that he is a U.S. citizen, given how long he lived in Colorado.  But I admit, I don't know if he is a dual citizen, or just a Canadian citizen.  If he isn't American yet, then yes, cap, cap, cap, cap ... now, now, now!!!