Tesho Akindele

Look around the league.. Cameroon and Australia are taking players from NYRB for friendlies while that club is in a much worse situation.

Thanks MLS.  Such a great domestic league for us, always helping us out and sticking up for our CMNT.  We'll be in the World Cup in no time!

I really doubt Ecuador had to insist anything. RSL definitely got a call from Ecuador for Plata and they couldn't say no.. how could they? Plata is their best player and he has been waiting for an Ecuador call for over 3 years now , not like they can go "hey thanks for all the goals but you're not going to that call you've been waiting for". With Akindele Dallas can either say "they'll call you next month" or "you can probably get called to USMNT or Nigeria, stay with us and score some more".

What leverage do we have? It's not like there is consistent competition at the moment it's only a matter of time before he gets called whether he scores another goal all year or not.

What i mean by insist is that it is a FIFA date and clubs MUST release the players if they are formally asked to. Problem with us is our players don't want to play for their country because it's an embarassment and a waste of their time. So even if we insist we risk the player retiring internationally (Johnson) or choosing another country to play for (Akindele).

Just had a brainwave. Our next game after Sept 9th is November 18th in Panama... right in the middle of MLS playoffs.

Dallas will certainly make the playoffs, with the first round probably taking place around November 5th to 9th, perhaps 12th.

If they lose there, then Tesho is certain to come to Panama. He'll have a full week to recuperate and no commitments.

But if Dallas make it to the Conference finals... We're fucked. They take place right during the CMNT game. Probably Nov 16th and 20th, or perhaps 22nd.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/08/25/ecuador-call-real-salt-lake-sparkplug-joao-plata-friendlies-bolivia-brazil

So RSL is willing to let Plata miss their showdown against Dallas so he can go play for Ecuador, but Dallas are not willing to release Tesho. Very curious that.

Yeah Tesho probably wants to play for the US, and this is just a good excuse for him. Don't blame the guy he is more american now anyway. 

MLS does NOTHING for us as a nation.

Yes, "nothing" (he says as he rages against the inequity of a player declining a potential, not even offered, call-up who wouldn't even be in on the radar of Canada if it hadn't been for the opportunity provided by the very thing he's opining against).

Well argued, sir.

Yes, "nothing" (he says as he rages against the inequity of a player declining a potential, not even offered, call-up who wouldn't even be in on the radar of Canada if it hadn't been for the opportunity provided by the very thing he's opining against).

Well argued, sir.

I've actually been against MLS for a while this situation is just another obvious barrier to us.  Tesho is on an MLS team because he has a green card, if he was any other Canadian he would never be given a chance.  

What about Will Johnson?  A once key player who we haven't seen in a year and a half due to MLS scheduling?

People keep saying "they'll be there when the games matter" ...that is going to be too late.  I'd love to hear Floro's thoughts on our joke of a domestic league.. he only has about 4-5 players playing regularly and of those players he's lucky if he can get half on an international date. 

Ask yourself.. if this was an American hot shot prospect who they were all excited about i.e. Dom Dwyer gets his US citizenship and a call up would he be staying with his club?  No chance. 

Why isn't Cubo Torres staying at Chivas? Cahill at NYRB? These are big name players.. bigger than Johnson or Akindele.

Edited by Keegan

I've actually been against MLS for a while this situation is just another obvious barrier to us.  Tesho is on an MLS team because he has a green card, if he was any other Canadian he would never be given a chance.  

What about Will Johnson?  A once key player who we haven't seen in a year and a half due to MLS scheduling?

People keep saying "they'll be there when the games matter" ...that is going to be too late.  I'd love to hear Floro's thoughts on our joke of a domestic league.. he only has about 4-5 players playing regularly and of those players he's lucky if he can get half on an international date. 

Ask yourself.. if this was an American hot shot prospect who they were all excited about i.e. Dom Dwyer gets his US citizenship and a call up would he be staying with his club?  No chance. 

Why isn't Cubo Torres staying at Chivas? Cahill at NYRB? These are big name players.. bigger than Johnson or Akindele.

Because he is not going to play for Canada. Its a great way to get your name out there, tease national team fans from a bunch of countries.. his name will become more familiar, perhaps help with his stock. 

I would give a 8-10% chance he suits up for Canada, I hope I'm wrong. 

I don't really understand all the hate for MLS; it has flaws from the CNMT perspective but it wasn't built to help Canada out.  It's a for-profit professional league (just like any other) that just happens to have three cities in Canada with teams in it.  If it weren't for MLS, players like Will Johnson, Jonathan Osorio, Russell Teibert, Maxim Tissot and others would either be in Europe or not playing high level football.  I'd like to think of MLS as just any other league in the world. 

Interesting conversation going on here regarding about MLS role in Canadian soccer.

I personally have been saying this for years (and sick of saying this), but only way Canadian soccer will ever improve if we have our own professional league where we can  develop hundred of players through pro league which will increase quality and quantity of players for national team.  

Right now, we don't have too many Canadians playing full time for their clubs in MLS and overseas which is affecting quality for national team while we got guys like Tesho using Canadian soccer and supporters to pressure other nations to cap tie.   

I don't get what Cubo Torres or Tim Cahill have to do with the issue at hand.

They are missing MLS games to play for their national teams Rudi.  Cahill and the Cameroonian fella on NYRB in particular missing is pretty shocking, NYRB are in a worse situation than Dallas PLUS they have CCL matches and on top of that those two are travelling across continents.. not a few hours to Toronto.  Cahill needs to be at the end of the road for the socceroos and he's one of the highest paid players in the league.

The point is that Cahill in every single aspect has less of a reason to get to his friendly than Johnson or Akindele.  Key to his team, sorely needed at this time, higher paid, longer travel etc. etc.

But hey, maybe we just need some players who actually want to play for Canada.  

When Johnson was with RSL he would fly across continents for a cap... now a days there is no chance, Toronto may as well be Taiwan.

Edited by Keegan

+1. People have been crapping on Johnson a lot since he left the Gold Cup due to illness. Getting kinda tiring to read...

i dont understand people being upset over his absence.  johnson is your typical one dimensional run all day physical american midfielder with no dribbling ability.  a step down from hutch, deguz, and bernier.  we should move away from this type of player and focus on the next generation.  tiebert and osorio have the creativity, dribbling and speed we want in our central midfield, not to mention bekker, piette, aleman.  Johnson may as well be finished with the CMNT.  who cares?   

i dont understand people being upset over his absence.  johnson is your typical one dimensional run all day physical american midfielder with no dribbling ability.  a step down from hutch, deguz, and bernier.  we should move away from this type of player and focus on the next generation.  tiebert and osorio have the creativity, dribbling and speed we want in our central midfield, not to mention bekker, piette, aleman.  Johnson may as well be finished with the CMNT.  who cares?   

I don't think we are watching the same Will Johnson if you think he is currently a step down from deguz and bernier. I think JDG was better in his prime than Johnson is right now, while Bernier in his prime vs Johnson right now is probably a toss up. Different playing styles certainly. Johnson has a great engine and gets stuck in (like your "typical" American midfielder), but he is not a terrible dribbler. Also, he has better shooting ability than anyone listed there. The only one who trumps him would be Bekker on free kicks. With Portland Johnson drives forward from the centre of the field to great effect. He isn't our saviour but I am happy we have him!

Although I also favour technical players over athletes that simply run around the field, I disagree with your assessment.  Midfielders who chew up ground in the right system free up attackers to look good.  

De Guzman and Bernier are on their last legs.  They have difficultly keeping up with the play at a high level.  

I'd rather have a midfield of 4 Atiba Hutchinsons and make the World Cup.

Canada has a long way to go before it reaches the level of a "typical" USMNT midfield.

Edited by Rudi