TFC march to the 2014 Play Offs...

Trillium

As TFC is in fourth place in the standings, it seems like its time to start a watch on the way to the playoffs, feel free to discuss the success of TFC week by week as they accrue points to a playoff spot.

Please note: This is to be a "positive" thread those TFC season ticket holders with negative thoughts should post elsewhere, diehard supporters of the Whitecaps or Impact of course get to post insights as TFC moves to its playoff position.

So step one... how will TFC do against the Chad Barret Seattle Sounders ?

PS lets get the new forum to again be the hot spot to talk soccer in Canada

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good start for TFC, though some bad TFC habits were creeping back near the end. Lucky not to concede late for the draw.

Defoe outisde of his two chances was sorta invisibile, but he showed if he gets the chance he will bury them. Bradley was dominate in the middle of the pitch, he will surely be the main cog of TFC this year all over the pitch.

Bradley owned the midfield and it's clear that his presence is having a positive impact on Osorio. Rey and Jackson were solid on the wings, whatever it was they did to Doneil Henry at West Ham I hope they do more of it because he was a much stronger player than in the past today and showed a lot more maturity as well. Defoe was awesome when he had his opportunities, and had a couple of other nice moments where he would be harrassing Seattle players like Dempsey.

Dempsey will probably be suspended for slapping Bloom in the bag.

Highlight of the match has to be Osorio's beautiful through-ball and Defoe's subsequent goal.

Good start for TFC, though some bad TFC habits were creeping back near the end. Lucky not to concede late for the draw.

Defoe outisde of his two chances was sorta invisibile, but he showed if he gets the chance he will bury them. Bradley was dominate in the middle of the pitch, he will surely be the main cog of TFC this year all over the pitch.

Defoe definitely needs service to be at his best, but as we saw, if you put it out there for him he will likely convert.

I'll excuse certain aspects of this game on a lack of chemistry, but Nelsen still needs to prove he is the man for the job. Team needs to take better care of the ball and show they can break down an opponent that is defensively set. Just because you want to counter attack doesn't mean the opportunity will always be there.

Overall, great result and some great performances.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first half which is all I could smeak in today. Like the Caps and their season opener, if this is anything like the rest of the season, it should be a fun season of positive football and plenty of decent results. Wish the Caps had three bonafide MNT players on the pitch in their match - kuds to TFC for setting the gold standard in that dept. Can't wait for V's Cup!

Lots of praise for Bradley, and rightly so, but too much of it is unqualified. He was great and his pressure all over the pitch caused problems. But he was also the one largely to blame on the goal against for being caught up the pitch, and similar unwise ventures forward resulted in lesser chances. He either needs to rein in his aggression, or has to be partnered with a less offensive player than Osorio.

Thought the entire back line was better than solid through out, along with Osorio.  Very encouraging for TFC fans if that lasts for any length of time into the season.  

Seattle figured TFC out in the 2nd half I though.  Lots of chasing by Bradley who had a very good 1st half but meh 2nd (to my mind).  

Its going to be the same thing all season, either starve Defoe for the ball or be destroyed.  JDV got it right.  As long as you've got a heavy weight scoring puncher up front you're in every match regardless of whats otherwise happening during the other 89 minutes he's off the ball.  

P.S.  How long is MLS going to lock out the refs?  Easy going right now but week after week its going to get harder and harder in a physical league like MLS.   Got just a taste of some of it last night.  Ug.

P.S.S.  How are some of these teams under the salary cap?      

P.S.  How long is MLS going to lock out the refs?  Easy going right now but week after week its going to get harder and harder in a physical league like MLS.   Got just a taste of some of it last night.  Ug.  

This guy is supposedly one of the better ones and he was certainly being tested.  I didn't notice it live, but when i re-watched the first half there were probably about 6-8 fouls on Dempsey alone in the first half, most likely tactical.  He didn't go to his card book until late, but Toronto fouled him straight out of the game for the first 45.  Shrewd tactically, but disapointing if you're a Seattle fan.  If they had gone after Defoe that hard we would have been foaming at the mouth.

The other interesting thing is people seem to be using the logic "who cares if the old officals come back, these ones are better!".  As far as I can see we are in a temporary flux, not sure if this situation can continue.  Either way problems remain.  Linesman are paid extremely poorly and officials are given limited resources.  We can point the finger at the people, but unless we give the refs resources inconsistency will be the one consistent factor.  

Its going to be the same thing all season, either starve Defoe for the ball or be destroyed.  JDV got it right.  As long as you've got a heavy weight scoring puncher up front you're in every match regardless of whats otherwise happening during the other 89 minutes he's off the ball.  

That's so true. I though TFC's play was rather disappointing, but the result was great. Obviously Nelsen's a D-focused coach, he doesn't need his team to control the ball. But that can sure bring succes to the team, I don't think it's pretty but who cares? 

The whole backline looked improved over last seasons, I didn't even fear the usual late goal when Seattle was pushing. TFC is solid, whithout playing briliantly. There's hardly any adventure coming from the flanks, not from the fullbacks, nor from Rey or Jackson. But I don't think it's the last time we see TFC-goals coming from pressuring the opponant into making mistakes. 

3 points in the opening game, on the road, heck even in Seattle, that's very un-TFC-like.

Really good game today for TFC. Much better than ours was. Bradley is a beast, Rey rocks, Defoe is human but still scoring on 1/5 chances (3/7 for the season), Gilberto looks like the real deal and much to my delight Osario fits right in. He didn't look out of place at all in that midfield. Wow. Great showing. One to nil was not how lopsided the chances were but 3 points is 3 points.

Impressive showing. I'm hoping you guys can ride out the World Cup without dropping too many points. That will be a real test but damn, 2 games and 2 wins and looking good all over the pitch. About f@#$ing time !!!   :)

Hope to see you in the playoffs.

I know this is going to make me sound a touch douchy, but did you guys see the game last night?  Within the last two years, how many people were saying TFC had ruined their fan base, and so signing or anything was going to make up for it?

I was saying all along that a winning team would bring the fans back immediately.  It's been the same for every sport.  The Pittsburgh Penguins almost folded until they drafted Crosby.  THEY almost ended up becoming the Winnipeg Jets, too, or rumors linked a move, I should say.

Hope a lot of those guys are eating their words, including the ones that still have TFC written off.  Seriously, swallow your pride, and come watch what in the first two games has been a fun product to watch on the pitch, even when the pitch is torn to absolute shreds like in the home opener.

That was a solid game yesterday and a major improvement over the first match. Defoe missed a couple of chances well that happens. I really thought Dero would make one anyway. At least TFC tried to go forward as soon as possible and when they didn't have the ball they were agressively chasing then down. I like it. I don't like Jackson though, boy he can run but then what to do with a ball? Still no word on Nakajima-Farran?

The spine of the team looks so much better.  Defoe, Gilberto, Osorio, Bradley, Caldwell, Henry and Cesar.  That's such a tough lineup down the middle.  Rey is also very solid.  That center of the field is enough to win most games I think.

I do think however that we get only ok play from our other 3 starters.  Jackson is super athletic but he holds on to the ball too long and is a red card waiting to happen.  Morrow is solid defensively but he loses possession very carelessly and doesn't offer much going forward.  I don't think he's an upgrade from Morgan.

I really think that RB is the weakness of the team.  Bloom is barely adequate and it shows.  He's not killing the team but he's a downgrade from what we've used in the past for sure.  I guess every team has a budget right.

The spine of the team looks so much better.  Defoe, Gilberto, Osorio, Bradley, Caldwell, Henry and Cesar.  That's such a tough lineup down the middle.  Rey is also very solid.  That center of the field is enough to win most games I think.

I do think however that we get only ok play from our other 3 starters.  Jackson is super athletic but he holds on to the ball too long and is a red card waiting to happen.  Morrow is solid defensively but he loses possession very carelessly and doesn't offer much going forward.  I don't think he's an upgrade from Morgan.

I really think that RB is the weakness of the team.  Bloom is barely adequate and it shows.  He's not killing the team but he's a downgrade from what we've used in the past for sure.  I guess every team has a budget right.

I agree that Jackson is not that great.  However, as much as I support Canadian players, I have to sort of disagree that Morrow is not an upgrade over Morgan.  As for RB, that's Orr's spot once he is fit.

I'm not sure Orr is going to be amazing or anything, remains to be seen.  But without checking, I think Morrow was actually used as an RB, and now is getting used to LB as a new position.  

Maybe if Orr doesn't work out, Morgan AND Morrow could start together.  But I'm one of those guys that really liked Morgan in his first season, but as I watched him play game after game after game...he was always a defensive liability.

I wasn't really impressed with what I saw from Gilberto yesterday. He had a few flashes of brilliance but was largely invisible from where I sat. I'm chalking that up to having been injured until recently for now, but I thought we transitioned much better from defence to attack with Dero on.

Also, if the idiot who ran on the field and spoiled a perfectly good Defoe scoring opportunity is reading this; FUCK YOU. TFC fans do not fucking spoil their own team's scoring opportunities, regardless of the score line or who we're playing against.

Archived