TFC march to the 2014 Play Offs...

Trillium

No, he was just an all-star LB for San Jose.

That's what I mean...without checking, I had thought he was RB there...but if you say LB then LB...but I was well aware he was an all-star, (2012, not 2013) and can find quotes of myself mentioning that in other posts.  No need to go sarcastic mode.

I could have sworn I saw him playing some RB at times...but was moved to LB even at San Jose because of Beitashour...oh well, could be wrong, as (again) I said initially.  Point remains...I still think of him as an upgrade over Morgan at that position.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't really impressed with what I saw from Gilberto yesterday. He had a few flashes of brilliance but was largely invisible from where I sat. I'm chalking that up to having been injured until recently for now, but I thought we transitioned much better from defence to attack with Dero on.

Also, if the idiot who ran on the field and spoiled a perfectly good Defoe scoring opportunity is reading this; FUCK YOU. TFC fans do not fucking spoil their own team's scoring opportunities, regardless of the score line or who we're playing against.

I thought after the first 20 Gilberto was pretty damn good. Holds up the ball well, not afraid to mix it up, and capable of creating.

I wasn't really impressed with what I saw from Gilberto yesterday. He had a few flashes of brilliance but was largely invisible from where I sat. I'm chalking that up to having been injured until recently for now, but I thought we transitioned much better from defence to attack with Dero on.

Also, if the idiot who ran on the field and spoiled a perfectly good Defoe scoring opportunity is reading this; FUCK YOU. TFC fans do not fucking spoil their own team's scoring opportunities, regardless of the score line or who we're playing against.

Really? He set up Defoe's first point blank chance, then the one that just went off the outside of the post and did the work to create the winner. That's three goal scoring chances, not sure what else you want? I wasn't really pumped on him coming here but thought he actually had a good game.

Gilberto almost had 2 assists if Defoe had been clinical and a goal for himself to boot. He didn't even play the WHOLE game!.

The best inidcator as to how he did was how TFC struggled after he came off. Gilberto is the perfect partner for Defoe.

Gilberto almost had 2 assists if Defoe had been clinical and a goal for himself to boot. He didn't even play the WHOLE game!.

The best inidcator as to how he did was how TFC struggled after he came off. Gilberto is the perfect partner for Defoe.

I wasn't aware he was involved in both of the other chances. I was actually really upset that Defoe got the goal rather than Gilberto because he did all the setup. Again, I said "from where I sat" which was section 224. Defoe was a bit of a default focus based on his position on most scoring opportunities. I just thought Gilberto seemed to vanish for big chunks of the game the way Maicon Santos used to. I'm not trying to throw the guy under the bus, and I think he'll definitely improve as he spends more time with the team in training now that he's back from injury, and his play when he got involved showed a lot of upsides to the guy. 

TFC faces a first place Columbus ... is this the nemesis for the early season ? Will the TFC supporters travel south en mass to support the new look TFC under Nelson.

You would have to think Nelson will be concerned going into Columbus to face the Crew, with Defoe only used for half a game last week he would have play a full ninety to give TFC a good shot at a result.

Caldwell suspended for the next game against Columbus and Henry is questionable with an injury. If he can't go, not sure who else plays alongside Agboussomonde in the centre of defense. Morrow? With Osorio & Defoe also out, not looking promising against a 3-0 team...

I'm really curious about this game. TFC's playing a club that didn't make the playoffs for the last two seasons, but granted are off to a good start this season, and yet some are making this out to be that they are facing Bayern Munich at the Allianz Stadium. It's MLS, the league of institutionalized parity where anything can happen, and often does. I think TFC may overdeliver in this one: I'm not saying a win or even a draw, but I think it might be closer than many believe.

It probably makes more sense to put these kind of posts in the TFC "Playoff March" (aka 2014 season) thread, but I think the concern I have is that TFC could be down 4 key starters (Defoe, Osorio, Caldwell & Henry), which will make it difficult for them.

Moved to the right spot now. 

It will be difficult, for sure, but I just find that in this league that the road dog here could make it more difficult than expected for a team with, I'm sure, a heightened level of its own expectations amongst its fanbase, since it is 3 and 0 at the moment.

Just curious to see how this will play out.  

Moved to the right spot now. 

It will be difficult, for sure, but I just find that in this league that the road dog here could make it more difficult than expected for a team with, I'm sure, a heightened level of its own expectations amongst its fanbase, since it is 3 and 0 at the moment.

Just curious to see how this will play out.  

Well it played out better than my most optimistic prediction - good call!

Well it played out better than my most optimistic prediction - good call!

They all played great, didn't they?  Best I've ever seen Bekker play, btw:  played to his strengths of safe, quick possession and his defensive positioning was effective.  Hope it is a turning point for him in his pro career.  Well earned team victory.

They all played great, didn't they?  Best I've ever seen Bekker play, btw:  played to his strengths of safe, quick possession and his defensive positioning was effective.  Hope it is a turning point for him in his pro career.  Well earned team victory.

Agreed. My pessimism for the game was based partly on the expectation that Hall would start again with Bradley, rather than Bekker, despite it being obvious that Bekker looked better & had more chemistry with Bradley in the game before, because Nelsen always seems to prefer Hall. Also, I didn't know about Orr's ability to be a CB (looked better than he did at RB, where lack of speed isn't as much of an issue) and had not seen Hagglund play at all - Agboussomonde seems to have fallen far down the depth chart.

Agreed. My pessimism for the game was based partly on the expectation that Hall would start again with Bradley, rather than Bekker, despite it being obvious that Bekker looked better & had more chemistry with Bradley in the game before, because Nelsen always seems to prefer Hall. Also, I didn't know about Orr's ability to be a CB (looked better than he did at RB, where lack of speed isn't as much of an issue) and had not seen Hagglund play at all - Agboussomonde seems to have fallen far down the depth chart.

A lot of my "optimism," for want of a better term, was based around my belief that Columbus weren't as good as their record.  Higuain was great on the ball but if you forced the supporting cast to be the guys to beat you, then you have a better chance.  As it was, the role players weren't up to it as their movement off the ball in offensive areas was not as good as TFC's and some of the service from the flank was atrocious (i.e. balls played behind guys).  That shouldn't take away from the fact that TFC played a strong game and they looked well prepared for the task, so good on Nelsen and his coaching staff as well.

Two wins out of three games on the road can't be anything but encouraging. Pretty surprised at that, personally.

Very good game even without JD. I still think Osario is better than Bekker but he still looked good. Bradley is just a beast. TFC have what looks like THE dominant box to box midfielder in the whole league. Just amazing to watch him.

The crew looked very average or at least you made them look that way. Nice to see Nak get a goal at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

TFC's U17s finished 0-3 at the GA 2014 Cup in Dallas.  Each game was a 1 goal loss to RSL, LA Galaxy and Stoke City.  Some consolation as it seems they had a tough group.  RSL and Stoke will meet in the final.

Hagglund for Bloom in the last minute of stoppage time was sure a great substitution.. seriously??  Not like we would have tied it anyway but what was the point of that?  Nick Hagglund over Jordan Hamilton for an equalizer?

Yeah, talk about a WTF coaching decision...I could see Hagglund dropping into a 3 man line and then Morrow pushes up to LM and one of the CM's move to the RM spot and push the flanks up into a 3-3-4 or something while you go for the equalizer, but if you're making a straight swap just send a striker in there.

Yeah, talk about a WTF coaching decision...I could see Hagglund dropping into a 3 man line and then Morrow pushes up to LM and one of the CM's move to the RM spot and push the flanks up into a 3-3-4 or something while you go for the equalizer, but if you're making a straight swap just send a striker in there.

That's exactly what TFC did. The commentators even mentioned it after Hagglund subbed on.

Archived