TFC march to the 2014 Play Offs...

Trillium

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone who was watching the TFC-Revs game on tv explain why New England was given a bonus re-try at a corner kick, which of course naturally led straight to the winning PK NE goal? Everyone in the part of the stadium I was in was thoroughly bewildered, and the fact that both teams had moved up the field for the ensuing kick by Julio Cesar suggests that nobody on the field thought or expected the corner to be re-tried.  I was just wondering if an explanation was offered by the tv commentators. The only thing I could possibly think of is that the original corner taken didn't have the ball in the corner circle, but I can't believe that after TFC dealt with the corner and gained possession, they would then blow the play back and reward the cheating team with another corner. So that leaves me stumped.

Can anyone who was watching the TFC-Revs game on tv explain why New England was given a bonus re-try at a corner kick, which of course naturally led straight to the winning PK NE goal? Everyone in the part of the stadium I was in was thoroughly bewildered, and the fact that both teams had moved up the field for the ensuing kick by Julio Cesar suggests that nobody on the field thought or expected the corner to be re-tried.  I was just wondering if an explanation was offered by the tv commentators. The only thing I could possibly think of is that the original corner taken didn't have the ball in the corner circle, but I can't believe that after TFC dealt with the corner and gained possession, they would then blow the play back and reward the cheating team with another corner. So that leaves me stumped.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/05/03/toronto-fc-boss-ryan-nelsen-questions-referee-call-led-decisive-penalty-vs-r

Apparently the linesman was incompetent

That's just maddening and completely ridiculous. Rewarding the team that cheats is the "right call" according to the MLS? If an attacking player enters the 18-yard box when a teammate misses a PK, do they give the attacking team another chance for their own encroachment & infringing of the rules?  This reasoning simply goes against common sense.

Disappointing loss yesterday for sure.  Defoe wtf?  I get that you're coming off an injury and want to get back on the score sheet but has the guy ever scored a 25 yard shot with his left in his career?  Because apparently that was the right choice instead of passing in one instance. 

Bradley was weak.  I had some morons behind me saying how he was a waste of a DP and I wanted to turn and say something but I couldn't, he was really poor yesterday.  Poor decision making at times and wasn't the dominating presence he usually is.  Thought he made the wrong call asking to take the FK in the first half, a ball that close needs to be Bekker's. 

Henry.. well what can you say?  Not his best match.

Mark Bloom needs to take a seat.  Not sure he would even be a starter on Edmonton or Ottawa.

You need to put away a team.  BURY them.  TFC has no killer instinct.  NE was there for the taking, they aren't a good team in this league. 

Yeah I though the team played far too narrow.  It is sad to look at the RPB forum and to see people blaming the teams performance yesterday (and every other year) on the fact that they have Canadian players.  That is one thing I definitely don't miss about living in Toronto.

I agree with this.

Especially infuriating are those trying to pin the loss on Henry! That annoys me to no end. Sure, his bad pass led to the first goal, but the entire team was making those same kind of passing all game. And on the 2nd goal the ref allowed the free kick to be taken again plus Morrow's original clearance was awful.

The lost because of the collective effort: Gilberto's awful finishing, Gilberto and Defoe not gelling well (how many times were they running on top of eachother during an attack?), and Nelson's coaching among other things.

I'll say this, I think Henry has good defensive skills, but his passing has been just terrible compared to the rest of the team, week in, week out. Hoofing the ball up in the true North American style, or giving bad short and mid-range passes away.

If there is one position where you cannot be making weak short passes, it's from the CB position.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy handball central Batman. What a game. Fun to see NYRBs get Petrescu'd, looks good on them. In the end you got the second goal but at least one of those handballs should have been called. I think if they let you have your arms 2 feet away from your side and still consider it "ball to hand" then that is just wrong. Ah well 3 points is 3 points and on to the next game. Bekker looked very sharp.

I'll say this, I think Henry has good defensive skills, but his passing has been just terrible compared to the rest of the team, week in, week out. Hoofing the ball up in the true North American style, or giving bad short and mid-range passes away.

If there is one position where you cannot be making weak short passes, it's from the CB position.

His passing is definitely the thing he needs to improve on the most.

On the other hand though how good was that splitting through ball from Osorio to Defoe in the first half.. my word. 

There was a ball from Osorio in the first half that seemed to have eyes in that it found its way through everyone. To me, it was actually only the second best pass Osorio made in the game (the best being the through ball to Bloom in the second half that led to Lovitz's big chance).

EDIT: I posted a link to the highlights but they didn't show the pass Keegan mentioned.

There was a ball from Osorio in the first half that seemed to have eyes in that it found its way through everyone. To me, it was actually only the second best pass Osorio made in the game (the best being the through ball to Bloom in the second half that led to Lovitz's big chance).

EDIT: I posted a link to the highlights but they didn't show the pass Keegan mentioned.

I remember those two passes.  

Yes, two great passes.  Didn't think Osorio seemed himself Saturday though.  He seemed to be labouring - maybe the old injury is still bugging him. 

Quite possibly.  However, he seemed a non factor for much of the first half and had to move centrally more often than usual to see the ball.  He seemed easily frustrated when things didn't go right

Quite possibly.  However, he seemed a non factor for much of the first half and had to move centrally more often than usual to see the ball.  He seemed easily frustrated when things didn't go right

Well, he did just play 120 minutes on the other side of the country about 63 hours beforehand, and he recently came off an injury layoff so his fitness may not be where he needs it to be.

I'm just putting that possibility out there. He also could have just had an off day.

[Osorio] also could have just had an off day.

It's interesting.  I felt the same way and saw commentary to that effect around but, when looking at the stats, he still looks to have had a far more efficient day than Alvaro Rey.

Osorio:

26 successful passes, 3 unsuccessful passes, 2 through balls, 2 successful crosses, 0 unsuccessful crosses, 2 key passes

Rey:

13 successful passes, 8 unsuccessful passes, 0 through balls, 1 successful cross, 4 unsuccessful crosses, 1 key pass

Osorio's heat map is spread out all over the field thanks to his tendency to come central looking for the ball while Rey's is almost exclusively pinned to the right touchline (which would be more useful if the ball ever made it into dangerous areas once it got out there!).

Granted, Rey did a little bit better on the dribble (as is his tendency) and only played about three quarters of the game to Osorio's full game but even that is probably telling.

Apparently we have high standards for what we expect from Osorio.  Not that that's a bad thing!

Well, he did just play 120 minutes on the other side of the country about 63 hours beforehand, and he recently came off an injury layoff so his fitness may not be where he needs it to be.

I'm just putting that possibility out there. He also could have just had an off day.

Definitely fitness/fatigue/jet lag is a factor.  Gotta remember the context of things.

Don't want to clog up the "Canadians in MLS" thread so responding to recent comments on last night's game here.

TFC were lucky to steal a point against SKC. Gilberto is just not working out and I think Moore deserves to be in the starting XI next game. The Henry penalty was harsh, but with Toledo reffing it had to be expected. IMO Henry needs to sit for a few games as Hagglund is simply outperforming him right now.

Archived