Canadians in MLS (2014 Season)

mulliganl

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like Will Johnson has a broken tibia after a challenge with Bloom, I believe, against TFC.

Confirmed broken leg, done for the season, unfortunately. Hopefully he is able to bounce back next year & will be back in time for the Gold Cup.

As for the other Canadians in this game, Osorio started and was subbed out for Bekker mid-way through the 2nd half. De Ro came on as a sub a little bit earlier than Bekker did. Henry looked certain to win back his starting spot after a brutal game by Hagglund for the first 62 minutes, but  then he scored two goals so it will be difficult for the coach to bench him. Morgan was also dressed but didn't play.

Teibert played 90 minutes for Vancouver in their big 2-1 over Salt Lake. By all accounts, he had himself a good match.

He did, usual workman like shift moving balls quickly up the park in transition and making a nuisance of himself on defence. Did however, get caught out of position a couple of times and as a result picked up a yellow on a clumsy challenge and gave up a dangerous FK in added-time (which he probably should have seen a second yellow for). 

So at some point, someone in Canada needs to figure out if Ethan Finlay is or isn't Canada-eligible. It's been reported that way at at least one online publication, and his father was definitely a college hockey player at the Univ. of North Dakota. So it's certainly possible. He's up to 9 goals with 5 or 6 assists. He'll most likely get a call to US January camp. That said, there will be some stiff competition among attacking midfielders with Rowe, Silva, Nguyen, etc.

So at some point, someone in Canada needs to figure out if Ethan Finlay is or isn't Canada-eligible. It's been reported that way at at least one online publication, and his father was definitely a college hockey player at the Univ. of North Dakota. So it's certainly possible.

It is far from certain that his father was a player at UND. Someone on here knows a player from those UND teams that won the Frozen Four title and he does not remember a guy named Brett Finlay on the team. That said, his fathers' Canadian-ness does not hinge on him having been a UND hockey player.

So at some point, someone in Canada needs to figure out if Ethan Finlay is or isn't Canada-eligible. It's been reported that way at at least one online publication, and his father was definitely a college hockey player at the Univ. of North Dakota. So it's certainly possible. He's up to 9 goals with 5 or 6 assists. He'll most likely get a call to US January camp. That said, there will be some stiff competition among attacking midfielders with Rowe, Silva, Nguyen, etc.

So someone just ask the guy on Twitter. Its really not that difficult

Meh.... Hagglund got two goals but the back line, especially him, was super awful throughout the whole game. If Portland finished better, they would have been up by 4 before TFC's first goal.

goes same way though. TFC did have chances in 1st half too. I dunno how Lovitz and Gilberto missed their sitters.

one real positive thing is I actually liked Bekker's sub appearance. he was positive, and he improved remarkably on his decision making on attack. He knew what he wants to do with the ball before it gets to him, and made some decent one time passes forward. Improvement from before, when he reacted after ball came to him.

Vanney made comments after the game about the #10 role being what TFC needs the most, and I have to agree. Moore/De Rosario/Osorio is not good enough as a rotation right now. A DP withdrawn forward/attacking midfielder should be the first signing in the off-season, depending on how the Defoe situation shakes out.

On another note: Morrow, for me, is the best fullback we've seen play on any of the Canadian teams. He is fantastic on both ends of the pitch. Great and under-rated pick up.

Vanney made comments after the game about the #10 role being what TFC needs the most, and I have to agree. Moore/De Rosario/Osorio is not good enough as a rotation right now. A DP withdrawn forward/attacking midfielder should be the first signing in the off-season, depending on how the Defoe situation shakes out.

On another note: Morrow, for me, is the best fullback we've seen play on any of the Canadian teams. He is fantastic on both ends of the pitch. Great and under-rated pick up.

Are you suggesting less playing time for Osorio? That's not what I want. There will always be better players than our Canadian players but there's no need to give Osorio less playing time when he's one of the best players TFC has and more importantly, he's Canadian. Progress = first team playing time.

Article on the MLS website today says that his dad is Canadian.

That's odd. I actually took the suggestion upthread and tweeted him last night. :)

There was an article on the MLS website the day he got drafted that said he had a Canadian dad. I posted it twice including this past April, but people don't seem to believe things unless it's tweeted.

JPG75, didn't mean to doubt you. Obviously you have 100 percent correct. Haven't seen the article you mention, don't know if it is still out there and despite searching I hadn't been able to find a primary source that mentioned his father being Canadian. Just good to have confirmation today while everybody is looking. 

Archived