Canadians in MLS (2014 Season)

mulliganl

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure, looking at baulderdash's numbers, that this is now a record year for Canadian players and MLS minutes.

That's quite possible, although in 2009, Toronto's minutes played by Canadians rate was 38%, which is not far off from the 41.6% combined total of the Canadian MLS teams to this point this year (Toronto 19.6%, Montreal 14.2%, Vancouver 7.8%, including V-Cup games - the MLS-only numbers are a bit lower). 2009 also had quite a few MLS regulars on non-MLS teams (De Rosario, Hainault, Onstad, Johnson, Jakovic, off the top of my head).

It will interesting to see how things compare at the end of the season, keeping in mind the MLS season is slightly longer these days (right?).

What I'd consider a record is that we have 6 regular "starters", 6 regular "subs" or at least rotation guys along with another 12 bench warmer types.  That's probably a record amount of depth for us compared to other years.

You're probably right. I might run the numbers at the end of the season. Other non-TFC Canadians in MLS in 2009 included Ante Jazic, Antonio Ribeiro, and Kevin Harmse. I suspect no matter what definition you use, 2009 and 2014 will end up being quite close in terms of Canadian content.

I think in 2012 there were more minutes played.  From a blog I saw that Toronto played Candians 7,692, Montreal played 2,194 & Vancouver played 132 minutes (seriously!).  On top of that off the top of my head we also had DeRo(2195), Will Johnson (2087), Jakovic (1861), Hainault (2030), Jazic (2379) and De Guzman (929 at Dallas).  I'm sure there were other Canadians. 

So definitely 2012 had more Canadian content in terms of minutes and quality minutes.

What I'd consider a record is that we have 6 regular "starters", 6 regular "subs" or at least rotation guys along with another 12 bench warmer types.  That's probably a record amount of depth for us compared to other years.

Yeah I agree, I've been sort of talking about depth for a bit in other threads, and I think the MLS Canadian teams are starting to pay minor dividends in terms of CMNT depth.  Still a long way to go, but on the right path.

How many of them are actually going to figure into the first team next year? Playing Ouimette/Lefevre/Miller in the backline at the start of the season really helped put the team in a tailspin that they never recovered from. That's a cautionary tale about playing a lot of young players that I'm sure the organization won't forget any time soon, similar to the Whitecaps forward situation.

How many of them are actually going to figure into the first team next year? Playing Ouimette/Lefevre/Miller in the backline at the start of the season really helped put the team in a tailspin that they never recovered from. That's a cautionary tale about playing a lot of young players that I'm sure the organization won't forget any time soon, similar to the Whitecaps forward situation.

None of them were ready but the problem was we did not have anyone else better to put in because we inexplicably did not make any signings in the off-season. I have no idea what could have led NDS to think that the youth players were ready other than his total incompetence. They should be brought in slowly playing with other strong players not thrown to the wolves on a terrible team.

Normally I agree with such a statement, but I for one am happy that young Canadians were "thrown to the wolves" so to speak. 

Strictly from a CMNT perspective, I don't think we can afford to bring our young players in slowly (even if that is the ideal). We severally lack depth in our program. Would the national team be better off with Ouimette getting spot minutes on a good Montreal team? Or, would we be better off with Ouimette playing significant minutes on a poor Montreal team? I'd prefer the latter. The best teacher is the game experience itself. 

So while not ideal for Montreal, I think there's a silver lining for Canadian fans. 

Man, Montreal is developing a real core of Canadian players.

I know, it's impressive. In all honesty though, I have a feeling that for a while now Klopas has essentially took a look at his squad, their place in the league and the lack of cap room or tradable assets, and decided the rest of this year will be a "developmental season". Perhaps some of their academy players have been fast-tracked a bit into the first team to provide cheap squad depth next year. Montreal are sure to re-tool in the off-season, and I will be interested to see if their's a net increase or decrease in their Canadian player minutes next season... but I suspect the later.

I would love to be proven wrong though. 

I know, it's impressive. In all honesty though, I have a feeling that for a while now Klopas has essentially took a look at his squad, their place in the league and the lack of cap room or tradable assets, and decided the rest of this year will be a "developmental season". Perhaps some of their academy players have been fast-tracked a bit into the first team to provide cheap squad depth next year. Montreal are sure to re-tool in the off-season, and I will be interested to see if their's a net increase or decrease in their Canadian player minutes next season... but I suspect the later.

I would love to be proven wrong though. 

I would guess decease, although some players like Tissot have earned more time and more consistent play toward the end of the season than at the beginning, so that might balance it some.

I would guess decease, although some players like Tissot have earned more time and more consistent play toward the end of the season than at the beginning, so that might balance it some.

RIP Canadian soccer minutes

Serioiusly though, personally I hope to see an increase...and I think it's possible.

How did JGL play?

The usual. He's calm on the ball and did his job. Klopas even has said that one of the reasons he's playing JGL there because Canada is playing him there, (the other being that with Krol suspended and with the decision to sit out Camara due to an elbow injury, that he chose to play him at left back instead of Ouimette.)

The usual. He's calm on the ball and did his job. Klopas even has said that one of the reasons he's playing JGL there because Canada is playing him there, (the other being that with Krol suspended and with the decision to sit out Camara due to an elbow injury, that he chose to play him at left back instead of Ouimette.)

It would be nice if he could win the spot.

I,rate him over Krol and Ouimette.

After watching JGL the past couple weeks I don't see how they go back to Krol, especially at this stage when you're looking to the future.

One particular play I was impressed with was when he outpaced Cato and nodded it back to Bush, great composure and he made a tough play look easy.  Another play he out waited Cato who was in a decent position and forced the winger to dribble out across the touchline, he showed great patience there.

I can see why Floro likes him as a left back, he really has great potential in that position.

Archived