Canadians in MLS (2014 Season)

mulliganl

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LA was missing Keane, Donavan, and I think Gonzalez - so I wouldn't put too much stock in that result. FCD's form has been rather poor over the last month and I think they are entering the playoffs on a low. I have a feeling they will lose their 4 v 5 playoff match.

Bad news for H-town. Was Kinnear let go or did they let him walk?

Kinnear asked permission to talk to SJ.

TBH, Kinnear had Houston as midtable for so long, and catch fire end season to barely make the playoffs. I think Houston is looking for fresh ideas, and I also think Kinnear is in danger of turning into another Yallop, a MLS 1.0 dinosaur

Kinnear asked permission to talk to SJ.

TBH, Kinnear had Houston as midtable for so long, and catch fire end season to barely make the playoffs. I think Houston is looking for fresh ideas, and I also think Kinnear is in danger of turning into another Yallop, a MLS 1.0 dinosaur

You mean Yallop who won Coach of the year two years ago?  Yallop won the supporters shield with an average team and effective strategy.  This season hasn't been great for Chicago but he isn't working with a great squad if you compare their roster to teams they have to face and he's still grinding out draws.

Houston won't do any better without Kinnear.  I thought he managed a great game against TFC last week.

You mean Yallop who won Coach of the year two years ago?  Yallop won the supporters shield with an average team and effective strategy.  This season hasn't been great for Chicago but he isn't working with a great squad if you compare their roster to teams they have to face and he's still grinding out draws.

Houston won't do any better without Kinnear.  I thought he managed a great game against TFC last week.

effective strategy meaning long balls into the box during extra time and hope that either Lenhart or Gordon pounce it in the air or Wondo latches on a rebound?

2012 supporter's shield was a fluke. 2013 SJ team was realistic to what Yallop could do, which is that he's an MLS 1.0 coach and he's a dinosaur. the goals dried up once the 'Goonie' magic was gone. I feel more bad for Watson for inheriting the mess Yallop made. coaches who rely solely on long ball are a relic in MLS

• 2 weeks later...

Montreal vs DC has to be the most Canadian match in MLS history so far, no? Four starters (5 if you count Lefevre) and one sub. Could have been even more as Porter was on the bench for DC.

Anyone here has any idea why Klopas started with Ouimette, Tissot and Lefevre in the back? I know Camara was suspended but still. 

Issey got a chance on the wing and almost scored a screamer. Bernier's playing well lately next to Malace. Will he be there another season? Gagnon-Lapare was brought in for Di Vaio's applaud-sub.

For TFC, Bekker got the start as did Henry (his last match for TFC?). Henry, who wil still be 21 for half a year, now has 70 MLS games under his belt. Not too shabby. Beker's played 29. Also of interest, Chris Manella was on the bench for the first time.

Anyone here has any idea why Klopas started with Ouimette, Tissot and Lefevre in the back? I know Camara was suspended but still. 

Who else would you have played? Maybe Futty Danso. Sorriola's injured. Ferrari, Camara and Pearce were suspended. So you had to choose between the 3 Academy grads, Miller, maybe Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé (if you think he's a left back), Krol and Danso.

For TFC, Bekker got the start as did Henry (his last match for TFC?). Henry, who wil still be 21 for half a year, now has 70 MLS games under his belt. Not too shabby. Beker's played 29. Also of interest, Chris Manella was on the bench for the first time.

Where was Osorio I wonder? Is he on his way out a la Henry? Morgan was on the bench as well.

Regarding the Impact - love that they have given so many minutes to Canadians this season!

Who else would you have played? Maybe Futty Danso. Sorriola's injured. Ferrari, Camara and Pearce were suspended. So you had to choose between the 3 Academy grads, Miller, maybe Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé (if you think he's a left back), Krol and Danso.

Don't get your knickers in a twist I was just asking.

@Obinna Osorio was suspended after his red card last game. I knew that one;-)

Montreal vs DC has to be the most Canadian match in MLS history so far, no? Four starters (5 if you count Lefevre) and one sub. Could have been even more as Porter was on the bench for DC.

It's a sign of how badly Canadian content has declined on the Canadian teams in the MLS era that Montreal's 350 minutes of Canadian action (more if you count Lefevre) is seen as some kind of high water mark. TFC bested this number, in minutes and often in players, regularly during their first season and also during Julian de Guzman's time with the team.

Montreal should be commended for bringing along role players like Ouimette and Tissot, more promising guys from the academy like JGL, and making a trade for a Canadian vet (Issey) within MLS instead of acquiring some Italian or Argentine re-tread. But they haven't done anything more than what Toronto has been doing for years, which for me is the bare minimum that we should accept.

Archived